Re: [new_distillers] Re: Inefficient Moonshine-Still condensor?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2003
      Understood - get yourself a straight portion of a baseboard steam or water heating unit, say, about three feet long, then attach it at a very shallow angle of about 10-15 degrees to a pot of your chosing and run this at very low power setting. The condensate will slowly run off down at the bottom of this baseboard element and rasing vapors will be able to evaporate more of it on the way down. The output should be fine but at a slow rate. Make sure vapors dont escape at free end. I expect about two liter of distillate as a barter for this "design."

      Alex <telecom@...> wrote:
      Can I pay by portion of output?
      Alex
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2003
        Its a deal!
        Thank you kindly for your help!
        Alex

        Alex <telecom@...> wrote:
        Can I pay by portion of output?
        Alex

        Have faith, your 9" condensor will work fine. I have the same still
        though out of stainless steel and I made my condensor the same length
        and I also did away with the needle valve in the reflux return line.
        I had the same concerns about the vapours in the condensor so I made
        a cap for the top of the condensor with a finger that went down the
        middle of the coil thinking this would keep the vapours closer to the
        coil. I've since removed that and just shove a pot scrubber down
        there now and it works fine. If you want to check out the pics look
        at the files section/tony6163 folder.

        cheers

        Tony

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
        > I started building my still (from moonshine-still.com, reflux)
        before
        > I found this site.  If I were starting again, I would probably just
        > build Bokabob's SR, but I'm almost done so I'm going to go ahead
        and
        > finish the one that I've started.
        >
        > So.  My question is this.  I read that the condensor for the valved
        > reflux still at the aforementioned site is not very efficient, and
        > wondered if I needed to modify it any more to make it work
        properly.
        > I went ahead and used a longer pipe from the start (about 9") for
        the
        > condensor, as six inches just didn't seem like quite enough, and
        > instead of running the input and output tubes through the wall of
        the
        > condensor, just ran the tube from the bottom straight back up
        through
        > the center, so both will be coming out the top.  Hope that makes
        > sense.  In addition to requiring less drilling of the copper, this
        > coil design also puts another length of pipe w/ cooling water in
        the
        > center of the coil, thus more surface area for vapors to condense
        > on.  Are these slight modifications enough?  There are also two
        kinks
        > in the coil, but water seems to flow through it fine (they aren't
        > that bad), so I don't think water flow will be a problem.
        >
        > Oh, and should the tube in the middle of the coil be the input or
        > output for the cooling water?  I'm thinking input, because that way
        > the center and bottom of the coil will be coolest, but thought I'd
        go
        > ahead and ask.
        >
        > Sorry for the rambling.  Any help would be appreciated.

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • chonder69
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 21, 2003
          Using a small fountain pump in a tub with a frozen milk jug of water
          (or two) works wonderfully. Just recirculate the whole time.