Re: [new_distillers] get anti virus software

  • Martin Hanover
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
      The virus in question is the sobig virus which comes as a mail attachment. "WHICH CAME FROM THIS GROUP".
         Martin.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
        I use AntiVir, it's free, I've had no virus problems.

        http://www.free-av.com/

        Bob Bourne.

        Why don't you all get anti virus software!!!.
        I've now received at least have a dozen viruses in a week from this list.
        WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!!.
        Martin.

        ---
      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
          >The virus in question is the sobig virus which comes as a mail attachment. "WHICH CAME FROM THIS GROUP".

          No - it only SAYS it came from this group. These virus' have the ability to fake the "from" address.

          Tony
        • Martin Hanover
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
              Tony Wrote.
            No - it only SAYS it came from this group. These virus' have the ability to fake the "from" address.

            Tony

            O K .  Tony, This is what I got from AVG. (below).  How is it only from this group I get infected attachments as I'm subscribed to many other groups and I get no problems.
            Martin..

            I-Worm/Sobig.F

            Is a worm which spreads by sending itself on all e-mail addresses that are taken from files placed on the infected computer and have following extension: WAB, DBX, EML, TXT, HTM, HTML, sender's address is faked.

            Message subject is usually one of the following:
            Your details
            Re: Your application
            Re: Wicked screensaver
            Re: That movie
            Re: Thank you!
            Thank you!
            Re: Re: My details
            Re: Details
            Re: Approved

            Message body:
            See the attached file for details
            or
            Please see the attached file for details.

            Attached filename is for example:
            application.pif
            details.pif
            document_9446.pif
            document_all.pif
            movie0045.pif
            thank_you.pif
            your_details.pif
            your_document.pif
            wicked_scr.scr

            On the infected computer WINPP32.exe file is created in the Windows folder and registers itself into the key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run as TrayX.

            This I-Worm spreads through shared disks by searching for PC with shared unit and uploads itself into the StartUp directory.

            ---

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
              >How is it only from this group I get infected attachments as I'm subscribed to many other groups and I get no problems.

              We now have many members (726 "New Distillers" and 988 "Distillers") so there is a large chance that one or two of our members have the virus.

              In addition, we are still one of the few groups that still allows emailing of attachments etc, so that we can share photos and recipes, etc. Many will only allow text to be sent.

              Tony
            • Harley Daschund
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2003
                The most reliable defence against 'infected' e-mail attachments is.....DONT
                open ANY attachment unless you are 110% sure where/who it came from.....I
                havnt used an AV prog in years (IMPO they usually cause more problems than
                they prevent) and havnt had any Virus related problems...common sense is the
                best protection...:>)