get anti virus software

  • Martin Hanover
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
      Why don't you all  get anti virus software!!!.
      I've now received at least have a dozen viruses in a week from this list.
       WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!!.
      Martin.

      ---
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
        Martin Hanover wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] get anti virus software

        Why don't you all  get anti virus software!!!.
        I've now received at least have a dozen viruses in a week from this list.
         WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!!.
        Martin.
        =======================
        Please read all about the viruses now going around and how they work before jumping to conclusions.
        Mike N

      • Martin Hanover
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
          The virus in question is the sobig virus which comes as a mail attachment. "WHICH CAME FROM THIS GROUP".
             Martin.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
            I use AntiVir, it's free, I've had no virus problems.

            http://www.free-av.com/

            Bob Bourne.

            Why don't you all get anti virus software!!!.
            I've now received at least have a dozen viruses in a week from this list.
            WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!!.
            Martin.

            ---
          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
              >The virus in question is the sobig virus which comes as a mail attachment. "WHICH CAME FROM THIS GROUP".

              No - it only SAYS it came from this group. These virus' have the ability to fake the "from" address.

              Tony
            • Martin Hanover
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Tony Wrote.
                No - it only SAYS it came from this group. These virus' have the ability to fake the "from" address.

                Tony

                O K .  Tony, This is what I got from AVG. (below).  How is it only from this group I get infected attachments as I'm subscribed to many other groups and I get no problems.
                Martin..

                I-Worm/Sobig.F

                Is a worm which spreads by sending itself on all e-mail addresses that are taken from files placed on the infected computer and have following extension: WAB, DBX, EML, TXT, HTM, HTML, sender's address is faked.

                Message subject is usually one of the following:
                Your details
                Re: Your application
                Re: Wicked screensaver
                Re: That movie
                Re: Thank you!
                Thank you!
                Re: Re: My details
                Re: Details
                Re: Approved

                Message body:
                See the attached file for details
                or
                Please see the attached file for details.

                Attached filename is for example:
                application.pif
                details.pif
                document_9446.pif
                document_all.pif
                movie0045.pif
                thank_you.pif
                your_details.pif
                your_document.pif
                wicked_scr.scr

                On the infected computer WINPP32.exe file is created in the Windows folder and registers itself into the key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run as TrayX.

                This I-Worm spreads through shared disks by searching for PC with shared unit and uploads itself into the StartUp directory.

                ---

              • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
                  >How is it only from this group I get infected attachments as I'm subscribed to many other groups and I get no problems.

                  We now have many members (726 "New Distillers" and 988 "Distillers") so there is a large chance that one or two of our members have the virus.

                  In addition, we are still one of the few groups that still allows emailing of attachments etc, so that we can share photos and recipes, etc. Many will only allow text to be sent.

                  Tony
                • Harley Daschund
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2003
                    The most reliable defence against 'infected' e-mail attachments is.....DONT
                    open ANY attachment unless you are 110% sure where/who it came from.....I
                    havnt used an AV prog in years (IMPO they usually cause more problems than
                    they prevent) and havnt had any Virus related problems...common sense is the
                    best protection...:>)