Re: [new_distillers] re;re new still

  • klcampbell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
      G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What reflux
      ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell sounds
      good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750 watts of
      heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
        Hi there,
        As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
        Can some one tell me how to work this out.
        Regards Jack

        In new_distillers@y..., "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...> wrote:
        > G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What
        reflux
        > ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell
        sounds
        > good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750
        watts of
        > heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
          >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
          >Can some one tell me how to work this out.

          The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets condensed and
          returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.

          Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...

          The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if you're using
          an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve on a
          Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your coil
          running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
          collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90 mL/min.
          This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the ratio is
          70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5

          Another way is to use the wee calculator at
          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This uses the
          amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour flowrate. Eg
          if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then you're
          running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8

          Tony
        • Jack Ricks
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2001
            - Hi Tony
            Thanks for that answer.
            Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it be at
            another ratio.What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
            final product?
            Today I did another run with the same amount,25l and the same alc vol
            in the wash,but it took 130 minutes to get the 5l spirit at 95%.The
            only difference I could see was the weather today was very cold
            compared to last Sunday.Would the temp outside make all that much
            difference>
            The boiler and the column are insulated.

            Regards Jack

            - In new_distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...>
            wrote:
            > >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
            > >Can some one tell me how to work this out.
            >
            > The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets
            condensed and
            > returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.
            >
            > Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...
            >
            > The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if
            you're using
            > an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve
            on a
            > Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your
            coil
            > running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
            > collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90
            mL/min.
            > This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the
            ratio is
            > 70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5
            >
            > Another way is to use the wee calculator at
            > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This
            uses the
            > amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour
            flowrate. Eg
            > if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then
            you're
            > running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8
            >
            > Tony
          • Tony & Elle Ackland
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
              Jack,

              >Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it
              >be at another ratio.

              Sounds fine to me - its giving you a fantastic result. The point about the
              reflux ratio is that it is a way of being able to compare how people run
              different stills. For example, you are probably getting such a great
              result by having a tall column, and a packing with lots of surface area.
              Hence the reflux ratio you need is rather low. Thats great for you, as it
              means you get to collect all your alcohol rather fast. However, someone
              else, with a shorter column, or less effective packing, may need quite a
              bit more reflux to get the same (or often, less) purity. By being able to
              compare reflux ratios, you know where you stand relative to each other. It
              would also be the first point to ask someone, if they are having low
              quality results, as if they were only using say a ratio of <2, then the
              advice would first be to trial it higher, say in the range from 5 to 10 or
              so.

              >What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
              >final product?

              Its just a means of being able to control and improve the purity. Reflux
              only gives you a little bit of leverage though - most of the quality is due
              to the still design. Eg there is no way a short still will ever get high
              purity alcohol, however by increasing the amount of reflux, you can often
              improve a 60-100cm still from having say 75% purity up into the 90's. For
              more detail, see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/refluxdesign.htm
              Likewise, if someone has to run a reflux of say >10, then maybe they
              should consider making their column say an extra 50% taller, so that they
              can then run at a faster rate with less reflux needed.

              >Would the temp outside make all that much difference ?

              An extra 40 minutes ? Wouldn't have thought so if everything was perfectly
              insulated, but it may be a cumulative affect - eg the wash a little bit
              colder when it went in, the cooling water being colder, slightly more heat
              loss to the atmosphere, etc etc all slowly adding up. Thats still a damm
              quick run, for such a high purity.

              Tony