Carbon filtering

  • Wil
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 28, 2003
      Hi kids,

      I have seen posts here that say you must carbon filter, some that
      say with proper distillation techniques you can get away without
      it. Im new to this and just made my very 1st run a week or so ago,
      but I have 3 sugar washes going now and will be stripping them
      soon. From what I have gleaned, doing a stripping run and
      redistilling it @ a high reflux level(90-95%) should provide a pure
      enough product not to have to carbon filter. Im not wanting to
      start a poll, but I would sure appreciate any educated input on
      this. Do i need to carbon filter or not given those parameters...

      Thanks,

      Wil.

      Drink!! Get shit faced!! Pass out!!
    • stevolate
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 14, 2006
        Hi Karl
        Depends on wash size, I run 45 litres.
        I use the first 50 mill for-shots to clean around the house, the next
        700 mills heads I put back in a first distillation. Collect all middle
        run until temp rises point one of a degree. When this occurs I change
        containers and increase reflux. A lot depends on your collection rate
        as with a second run, you can collect a lot faster and still have the
        ethanol come out at 95% but it will have a smell if collected to fast.
        If you collect at a rate similar to what you run on a first run to
        collect 95% you will have a long middle run before the temp goes up.
        As the run continues the collection rate gets slower and the tails
        smell will appear. You need to change containers regularly after the
        temp rises. Even though you are collecting 95% and keeping the temp
        down by increasing reflux the smell will appear. It gets to where it
        is not worth the time for the output. I normally stop when the boiler
        temp gets to 96.6 Celsius as the output is to slow to be bothered and
        it is only smelly tails to be added to a first run.

        On the second run I recommend leaving the still at full reflux for at
        least 30 minutes before you start to collect for-shots and collect at
        1 drip per second during this time I use very low power.
        The heads I collect at 2 to 3 drips per second and increase the power
        slightly. Normally there are not 700 mills of heads but you need to
        smell regularly after 500 mill. The middle run I collect faster and
        with more power until the temp jumps then the reverse, lower
        collection rate (increase reflux) Temp will drop.
        There is some ethanol left in the boiler but not much.
        Smell it and you will see what you have removed from the first
        distillation that you would of drunk.

        Hope I have not confused you too much.

        Happy drinking

        Stevo