Inefficient Moonshine-Still condensor?

  • the1foy
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 28, 2003
      I started building my still (from moonshine-still.com, reflux) before
      I found this site. If I were starting again, I would probably just
      build Bokabob's SR, but I'm almost done so I'm going to go ahead and
      finish the one that I've started.

      So. My question is this. I read that the condensor for the valved
      reflux still at the aforementioned site is not very efficient, and
      wondered if I needed to modify it any more to make it work properly.
      I went ahead and used a longer pipe from the start (about 9") for the
      condensor, as six inches just didn't seem like quite enough, and
      instead of running the input and output tubes through the wall of the
      condensor, just ran the tube from the bottom straight back up through
      the center, so both will be coming out the top. Hope that makes
      sense. In addition to requiring less drilling of the copper, this
      coil design also puts another length of pipe w/ cooling water in the
      center of the coil, thus more surface area for vapors to condense
      on. Are these slight modifications enough? There are also two kinks
      in the coil, but water seems to flow through it fine (they aren't
      that bad), so I don't think water flow will be a problem.

      Oh, and should the tube in the middle of the coil be the input or
      output for the cooling water? I'm thinking input, because that way
      the center and bottom of the coil will be coolest, but thought I'd go
      ahead and ask.

      Sorry for the rambling. Any help would be appreciated.
    • creative_chemistry
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 28, 2003
        My (as of yet) untested still is the same. I too ran the pipes up so
        they come out of the top. I used a 1ft section of pipe because that's
        what I had and i didnt feel like cutting, so i just gave my coil a
        couple of extra spins. Also, instead of scrubbers, I bought the
        structured copper meshing stuff. I had a little bit extra left over,
        so i just packed the inside of my coil with that and wraped the
        outside of my coil with it a couple of times too. this gives it a
        nice, almost snug fit inside my 3" pipe. I don't know if this will
        work, but the way i see it is that copper is an excellent heat
        conductor, so ideally this would make for a super efficient condenser
        since the meshing has a lot of contact with the cooling coil, and the
        vapour and the vapour has no unobstructed route out of the condenser,
        it touches a whole lot of surface that is 'connected' to the cooling coil.

        Lightning

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
        > I started building my still (from moonshine-still.com, reflux) before
        > I found this site. If I were starting again, I would probably just
        > build Bokabob's SR, but I'm almost done so I'm going to go ahead and
        > finish the one that I've started.
        >
        > So. My question is this. I read that the condensor for the valved
        > reflux still at the aforementioned site is not very efficient, and
        > wondered if I needed to modify it any more to make it work properly.
        > I went ahead and used a longer pipe from the start (about 9") for the
        > condensor, as six inches just didn't seem like quite enough, and
        > instead of running the input and output tubes through the wall of the
        > condensor, just ran the tube from the bottom straight back up through
        > the center, so both will be coming out the top. Hope that makes
        > sense. In addition to requiring less drilling of the copper, this
        > coil design also puts another length of pipe w/ cooling water in the
        > center of the coil, thus more surface area for vapors to condense
        > on. Are these slight modifications enough? There are also two kinks
        > in the coil, but water seems to flow through it fine (they aren't
        > that bad), so I don't think water flow will be a problem.
        >
        > Oh, and should the tube in the middle of the coil be the input or
        > output for the cooling water? I'm thinking input, because that way
        > the center and bottom of the coil will be coolest, but thought I'd go
        > ahead and ask.
        >
        > Sorry for the rambling. Any help would be appreciated.
      • Wil
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 28, 2003
          Novel idea Creative. a couple of copper scrubbers up the middle of
          the cooling coil might be worth investigating!!

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "creative_chemistry"

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 28, 2003
            That's right, I had heard of the scrubber-in-condensor thing, but had
            forgotten. Thanks for the suggestion. I think with all of this
            together, everything should be fine. First water test run in a week
            or so if all goes as planned...

            >Also, instead of scrubbers, I bought the
            > structured copper meshing stuff. I had a little bit extra left over,
            > so i just packed the inside of my coil with that and wraped the
            > outside of my coil with it a couple of times too. this gives it a
            > nice, almost snug fit inside my 3" pipe. I don't know if this will
            > work, but the way i see it is that copper is an excellent heat
            > conductor, so ideally this would make for a super efficient
            condenser
            > since the meshing has a lot of contact with the cooling coil, and
            the
            > vapour and the vapour has no unobstructed route out of the
            condenser,
            > it touches a whole lot of surface that is 'connected' to the
            cooling coil.
          • mwmccaw
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 29, 2003
              Putting some copper mesh inside the cooling coil helps a lot.
              It alters the vapor flow path and conducts heat to the coil. If you
              search the archives, there several mentions of putting scrubbers,
              etc. in cooling coils.
              Mike McCaw

            • tony6163
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 30, 2003
                Have faith, your 9" condensor will work fine. I have the same still
                though out of stainless steel and I made my condensor the same length
                and I also did away with the needle valve in the reflux return line.
                I had the same concerns about the vapours in the condensor so I made
                a cap for the top of the condensor with a finger that went down the
                middle of the coil thinking this would keep the vapours closer to the
                coil. I've since removed that and just shove a pot scrubber down
                there now and it works fine. If you want to check out the pics look
                at the files section/tony6163 folder.

                cheers

                Tony

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
                > I started building my still (from moonshine-still.com, reflux)
                before
                > I found this site. If I were starting again, I would probably just
                > build Bokabob's SR, but I'm almost done so I'm going to go ahead
                and
                > finish the one that I've started.
                >
                > So. My question is this. I read that the condensor for the valved
                > reflux still at the aforementioned site is not very efficient, and
                > wondered if I needed to modify it any more to make it work
                properly.
                > I went ahead and used a longer pipe from the start (about 9") for
                the
                > condensor, as six inches just didn't seem like quite enough, and
                > instead of running the input and output tubes through the wall of
                the
                > condensor, just ran the tube from the bottom straight back up
                through
                > the center, so both will be coming out the top. Hope that makes
                > sense. In addition to requiring less drilling of the copper, this
                > coil design also puts another length of pipe w/ cooling water in
                the
                > center of the coil, thus more surface area for vapors to condense
                > on. Are these slight modifications enough? There are also two
                kinks
                > in the coil, but water seems to flow through it fine (they aren't
                > that bad), so I don't think water flow will be a problem.
                >
                > Oh, and should the tube in the middle of the coil be the input or
                > output for the cooling water? I'm thinking input, because that way
                > the center and bottom of the coil will be coolest, but thought I'd
                go
                > ahead and ask.
                >
                > Sorry for the rambling. Any help would be appreciated.
              • Alex
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 30, 2003
                  Folks,
                  I want to make set-up in the office, drawback is - no running water...
                  Can I use fan as a condensor for cooling?
                  Alex

                  Have faith, your 9" condensor will work fine. I have the same still
                  though out of stainless steel and I made my condensor the same length
                  and I also did away with the needle valve in the reflux return line.
                  I had the same concerns about the vapours in the condensor so I made
                  a cap for the top of the condensor with a finger that went down the
                  middle of the coil thinking this would keep the vapours closer to the
                  coil. I've since removed that and just shove a pot scrubber down
                  there now and it works fine. If you want to check out the pics look
                  at the files section/tony6163 folder.

                  cheers

                  Tony

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
                  > I started building my still (from moonshine-still.com, reflux)
                  before
                  > I found this site.  If I were starting again, I would probably just
                  > build Bokabob's SR, but I'm almost done so I'm going to go ahead
                  and
                  > finish the one that I've started.
                  >
                  > So.  My question is this.  I read that the condensor for the valved
                  > reflux still at the aforementioned site is not very efficient, and
                  > wondered if I needed to modify it any more to make it work
                  properly.
                  > I went ahead and used a longer pipe from the start (about 9") for
                  the
                  > condensor, as six inches just didn't seem like quite enough, and
                  > instead of running the input and output tubes through the wall of
                  the
                  > condensor, just ran the tube from the bottom straight back up
                  through
                  > the center, so both will be coming out the top.  Hope that makes
                  > sense.  In addition to requiring less drilling of the copper, this
                  > coil design also puts another length of pipe w/ cooling water in
                  the
                  > center of the coil, thus more surface area for vapors to condense
                  > on.  Are these slight modifications enough?  There are also two
                  kinks
                  > in the coil, but water seems to flow through it fine (they aren't
                  > that bad), so I don't think water flow will be a problem.
                  >
                  > Oh, and should the tube in the middle of the coil be the input or
                  > output for the cooling water?  I'm thinking input, because that way
                  > the center and bottom of the coil will be coolest, but thought I'd
                  go
                  > ahead and ask.
                  >
                  > Sorry for the rambling.  Any help would be appreciated.

                • BOKAKOB

                    Have faith, your 9" condensor will work fine. I have the same still
                    though out of stainless steel and I made my condensor the same length
                    and I also did away with the needle valve in the reflux return line.
                    I had the same concerns about the vapours in the condensor so I made
                    a cap for the top of the condensor with a finger that went down the
                    middle of the coil thinking this would keep the vapours closer to the
                    coil. I've since removed that and just shove a pot scrubber down
                    there now and it works fine. If you want to check out the pics look
                    at the files section/tony6163 folder.

                    cheers

                    Tony

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
                    > I started building my still (from moonshine-still.com, reflux)
                    before
                    > I found this site.  If I were starting again, I would probably just
                    > build Bokabob's SR, but I'm almost done so I'm going to go ahead
                    and
                    > finish the one that I've started.
                    >
                    > So.  My question is this.  I read that the condensor for the valved
                    > reflux still at the aforementioned site is not very efficient, and
                    > wondered if I needed to modify it any more to make it work
                    properly.
                    > I went ahead and used a longer pipe from the start (about 9") for
                    the
                    > condensor, as six inches just didn't seem like quite enough, and
                    > instead of running the input and output tubes through the wall of
                    the
                    > condensor, just ran the tube from the bottom straight back up
                    through
                    > the center, so both will be coming out the top.  Hope that makes
                    > sense.  In addition to requiring less drilling of the copper, this
                    > coil design also puts another length of pipe w/ cooling water in
                    the
                    > center of the coil, thus more surface area for vapors to condense
                    > on.  Are these slight modifications enough?  There are also two
                    kinks
                    > in the coil, but water seems to flow through it fine (they aren't
                    > that bad), so I don't think water flow will be a problem.
                    >
                    > Oh, and should the tube in the middle of the coil be the input or
                    > output for the cooling water?  I'm thinking input, because that way
                    > the center and bottom of the coil will be coolest, but thought I'd
                    go
                    > ahead and ask.
                    >
                    > Sorry for the rambling.  Any help would be appreciated.

                    I can be wrong I must say
                    Cheers, Alex...

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • confederaterebel@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 30, 2003
                      aight think about it......normal operating temp of a gas engine is 180-230 degrees f. the only way to cool that engine is the water pump and a fan on the radiator. now by themselves it's hard but combined work nicely. now the office is goin to heat up so you have to figure out how to cool the office........have fun
                    • Harley Daschund
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 30, 2003
                        All you need is a bucket of water and a pump...plumbing isnt
                        required...:>)

                        http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental
                      • Alex
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 31, 2003
                          This sounds as a way to go!
                          Mind you, I 'm not looking for a Nigara river here - just may be a small stream...
                          Alex
                          All you need is a bucket of  water and a  pump...plumbing isnt
                          required...:>)

                          >From: "Alex" <telecom@...>
                          >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Inefficient Moonshine-Still condensor?
                          >Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:27:58 -0400
                          >
                          >Folks,
                          >I want to make set-up in the office, drawback is - no running water...
                          >Can I use fan as a condensor for cooling?
                          >Alex

                        • Alex

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 1, 2003
                              Understood - get yourself a straight portion of a baseboard steam or water heating unit, say, about three feet long, then attach it at a very shallow angle of about 10-15 degrees to a pot of your chosing and run this at very low power setting. The condensate will slowly run off down at the bottom of this baseboard element and rasing vapors will be able to evaporate more of it on the way down. The output should be fine but at a slow rate. Make sure vapors dont escape at free end. I expect about two liter of distillate as a barter for this "design."

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 1, 2003
                                Its a deal!
                                Thank you kindly for your help!
                                Alex

                                Alex <telecom@...> wrote:
                                Can I pay by portion of output?
                                Alex

                                Have faith, your 9" condensor will work fine. I have the same still
                                though out of stainless steel and I made my condensor the same length
                                and I also did away with the needle valve in the reflux return line.
                                I had the same concerns about the vapours in the condensor so I made
                                a cap for the top of the condensor with a finger that went down the
                                middle of the coil thinking this would keep the vapours closer to the
                                coil. I've since removed that and just shove a pot scrubber down
                                there now and it works fine. If you want to check out the pics look
                                at the files section/tony6163 folder.

                                cheers

                                Tony

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
                                > I started building my still (from moonshine-still.com, reflux)
                                before
                                > I found this site.  If I were starting again, I would probably just
                                > build Bokabob's SR, but I'm almost done so I'm going to go ahead
                                and
                                > finish the one that I've started.
                                >
                                > So.  My question is this.  I read that the condensor for the valved
                                > reflux still at the aforementioned site is not very efficient, and
                                > wondered if I needed to modify it any more to make it work
                                properly.
                                > I went ahead and used a longer pipe from the start (about 9") for
                                the
                                > condensor, as six inches just didn't seem like quite enough, and
                                > instead of running the input and output tubes through the wall of
                                the
                                > condensor, just ran the tube from the bottom straight back up
                                through
                                > the center, so both will be coming out the top.  Hope that makes
                                > sense.  In addition to requiring less drilling of the copper, this
                                > coil design also puts another length of pipe w/ cooling water in
                                the
                                > center of the coil, thus more surface area for vapors to condense
                                > on.  Are these slight modifications enough?  There are also two
                                kinks
                                > in the coil, but water seems to flow through it fine (they aren't
                                > that bad), so I don't think water flow will be a problem.
                                >
                                > Oh, and should the tube in the middle of the coil be the input or
                                > output for the cooling water?  I'm thinking input, because that way
                                > the center and bottom of the coil will be coolest, but thought I'd
                                go
                                > ahead and ask.
                                >
                                > Sorry for the rambling.  Any help would be appreciated.

                                I can be wrong I must say
                                Cheers, Alex...

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                                I can be wrong I must say
                                Cheers, Alex...

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • chonder69
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 21, 2003
                                  Using a small fountain pump in a tub with a frozen milk jug of water
                                  (or two) works wonderfully. Just recirculate the whole time.