Re: [new_distillers] re;re new still

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
      Hello Jack,
      I just like to know what sort of heating elements you used in your beer
      barrel and did you have say 1 inch bsp or bigger sockets welded to your
      barrel to accomodate the elements. Regards Jan.

      >From: "Jack Ricks" <secondhandjack@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] re;re new still
      >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:30:10 -0000
      >
      >Hi Tony,
      > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
      >Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
      >The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
      >condenser.
      >
      >I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
      >scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
      >I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
      >Glenn?)
      >
      > Regards Jack

    • klcampbell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
        G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What reflux
        ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell sounds
        good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750 watts of
        heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.
        > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
        > Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
        > The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
        > condenser.
        >
        > I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
        > scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
        > I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
        > Glenn?)
        >
        > Regards Jack

      • Jack Ricks
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
          Hi there,
          As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
          Can some one tell me how to work this out.
          Regards Jack

          In new_distillers@y..., "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...> wrote:
          > G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What
          reflux
          > ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell
          sounds
          > good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750
          watts of
          > heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
            >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
            >Can some one tell me how to work this out.

            The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets condensed and
            returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.

            Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...

            The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if you're using
            an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve on a
            Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your coil
            running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
            collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90 mL/min.
            This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the ratio is
            70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5

            Another way is to use the wee calculator at
            http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This uses the
            amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour flowrate. Eg
            if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then you're
            running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8

            Tony
          • Jack Ricks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2001
              - Hi Tony
              Thanks for that answer.
              Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it be at
              another ratio.What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
              final product?
              Today I did another run with the same amount,25l and the same alc vol
              in the wash,but it took 130 minutes to get the 5l spirit at 95%.The
              only difference I could see was the weather today was very cold
              compared to last Sunday.Would the temp outside make all that much
              difference>
              The boiler and the column are insulated.

              Regards Jack

              - In new_distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...>
              wrote:
              > >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
              > >Can some one tell me how to work this out.
              >
              > The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets
              condensed and
              > returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.
              >
              > Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...
              >
              > The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if
              you're using
              > an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve
              on a
              > Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your
              coil
              > running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
              > collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90
              mL/min.
              > This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the
              ratio is
              > 70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5
              >
              > Another way is to use the wee calculator at
              > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This
              uses the
              > amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour
              flowrate. Eg
              > if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then
              you're
              > running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8
              >
              > Tony
            • Tony & Elle Ackland
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
                Jack,

                >Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it
                >be at another ratio.

                Sounds fine to me - its giving you a fantastic result. The point about the
                reflux ratio is that it is a way of being able to compare how people run
                different stills. For example, you are probably getting such a great
                result by having a tall column, and a packing with lots of surface area.
                Hence the reflux ratio you need is rather low. Thats great for you, as it
                means you get to collect all your alcohol rather fast. However, someone
                else, with a shorter column, or less effective packing, may need quite a
                bit more reflux to get the same (or often, less) purity. By being able to
                compare reflux ratios, you know where you stand relative to each other. It
                would also be the first point to ask someone, if they are having low
                quality results, as if they were only using say a ratio of <2, then the
                advice would first be to trial it higher, say in the range from 5 to 10 or
                so.

                >What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
                >final product?

                Its just a means of being able to control and improve the purity. Reflux
                only gives you a little bit of leverage though - most of the quality is due
                to the still design. Eg there is no way a short still will ever get high
                purity alcohol, however by increasing the amount of reflux, you can often
                improve a 60-100cm still from having say 75% purity up into the 90's. For
                more detail, see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/refluxdesign.htm
                Likewise, if someone has to run a reflux of say >10, then maybe they
                should consider making their column say an extra 50% taller, so that they
                can then run at a faster rate with less reflux needed.

                >Would the temp outside make all that much difference ?

                An extra 40 minutes ? Wouldn't have thought so if everything was perfectly
                insulated, but it may be a cumulative affect - eg the wash a little bit
                colder when it went in, the cooling water being colder, slightly more heat
                loss to the atmosphere, etc etc all slowly adding up. Thats still a damm
                quick run, for such a high purity.

                Tony