Re: Green stuff growing in strip beer

  • CornFed (Randy)
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2003
      Ethanol is never ruined or wasted until you dump it down the drain.
      Crank up your equipment and run it thru again. I am sure everything
      will turn out great.

      I am not completely sure what you are describing with the 'green
      stuff suspended' in your ethanol. When I do a stripping run with my
      set-up after letting it sit for a month or so, the first ethanol to
      come out has a green patina to it. The color is equally distributed
      throughout the volume.

      What you are describing sounds more like the effect I got when I put
      some sparged fermented corn wash in a jar for secondary
      fermentation. After a while, tentacles of something formed in the
      top center of the liquid and strated to drop down into the center.
      It looked like the string algae that grows in my outdoor goldfish
      pond. Only it was the same color as the golden corn beer.

      However bacteria is not usually quick to grow in a solution of 45
      percent ethanol. I dont know what the substance is in your carboy.
      How well was it cleaned after your fermentation and being refilled
      with your stripped ethanol?

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raptillicus2"