First Run! and now some questions

  • Mr. Brew Diggity Dog
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2003
      and one problem (leaks). The flour and water paste worked quite
      well for me except in one spot, and no matter how much I used, it
      leaked. I've read that teflon tape will work, but not as a long term
      solution. Any thoughts on this?

      Other than that things went well, I used some cheap 80 proof
      vodka (that smelled like rubbing alcohol) and I distilled a little
      less than i expected (the heads ended up being more than i
      expected), but the mid run came out smelling like rubbing alcohol.
      This is normal... right?

      I've got till saturday to fix anything that is wrong, like that
      leak, before my yeast is ready to go. Wish me luck and give me advice!
      ~WacDog
    • Wil
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2003
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Brew Diggity Dog"
        <wacdog@y...> wrote:
        > and one problem (leaks). The flour and water paste worked
        quite
        > well for me except in one spot, and no matter how much I used, it
        > leaked. I've read that teflon tape will work, but not as a long
        term
        > solution. Any thoughts on this?

        I had the same problem, the flour/water worked ok, may try
        plumbers putty on the outside next time instead of the bread dough.

        > Other than that things went well, I used some cheap 80 proof
        > vodka (that smelled like rubbing alcohol) and I distilled a little
        > less than i expected (the heads ended up being more than i
        > expected), but the mid run came out smelling like rubbing alcohol.
        > This is normal... right?

        Mine had a distinct odor. kind of like a cross between grapes and
        bananas. I was distilling a blackberry mead tho.

        > I've got till saturday to fix anything that is wrong, like
        that
        > leak, before my yeast is ready to go. Wish me luck and give me
        advice!
        > ~WacDog

        Good luck!!
      • Mr. Brew Diggity Dog
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
          Well, did my first run and collected a lot less than i should have
          because of one serious leak. A word of advice: don't ever use
          plumber's putty. The stuff i used dissolved (over a fairly short
          period of time) from the high proof alcohol. Other than that,
          everything came out smelling fresh :o) Most thanks to Bokakob and
          homedistillers.org
          ~WacDog