Re: [new_distillers] Z unit distilling

  • John Quinn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4 5:21 AM

      From: G&N
      Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 1:56 AM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Z unit distilling

      John ..what exactly do you mean by this?

      Re a recent inquiry on this system, I have used it twice. The results have been about the same (except in speed) as the 72 hour dribble that preceeded it in terms of pong and taste.

      Thanks Glenn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4 5:32 AM
            Glenn:
                    The Z unit is a new carbon clensing unit recently introduced to New Zealand brew shops. It replaces an earlier sytem where a fine liquid carbon is added to the newly distilled ethanol and left for several days. The product is then dribbled through a straight-line filter of coarser carbon which, as I said, takes about 70 plus hours to complete.

            The Z-type looks like a compressed Z and uses one form of carbon to complete the job in four hours or so (this is 5l of spirit). Was that what you wanted to know Glenn?

                                    Cheers      John
      • G&N
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4 5:35 AM
          John...    yes that is what i wanted to know..what is the end result like compared to the other way?

          thanks Glenn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5 2:02 AM
            Personally i dont believe in plastic filters for alcohol,no matter what all
            the wizards have to say. Remember when DDT hit the market and look at it
            now.Stick to good old 316 stainless and you will have no health problems.
            Regards Jan.

            >From: "G&N" <glennnat@...>
            >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Z unit distilling
            >Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 20:35:13 +0800
            >
            >John... yes that is what i wanted to know..what is the end result like
            >compared to the other way?
            >
            >thanks Glenn

          • janpam ooms
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6 6:30 AM
              Hello Glenn,
              I like to tell you about the best charcoal filter i have seen and used
              sofar.it is pressurised system as made by David Reid in New Zealand. it is a
              stainless barrel with a stainless carbon filled filter underneath it and
              pressurised to 2 lbs only.it filters 1 litre of spirit in 30 minutes.it is a
              brilliant filter.May be we can convince David again to post his message on
              the net as he did on 2 June 01 .
              Regards Jan. Davids email: nzag@...

              >From: "G&N" <glennnat@...>
              >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Z unit distilling
              >Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 21:56:10 +0800
              >
              >John ..what exactly do you mean by this?
              >
              >Re a recent inquiry on this system, I have used it twice. The results have
              >been about the same (except in speed) as the 72 hour dribble that preceeded
              >it in terms of pong and taste.
              >
              >Thanks Glenn

            • G&N
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7 4:19 AM
                Sound good to me Jan ...are they on the market or are they home made?

              • janpam ooms
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9 2:30 AM
                  Glenn,they are home made but are easy to manufacture from am old beer barrel
                  and some elbows and 2inch dairy fittings and a ball valve, all in stainless
                  of course. Email me your mailing adress and i will send you a copy of the
                  email. Regards Jan. Stay away from any plastic crap like this heaven sent z
                  filter.