Re: [new_distillers] re;re new still

  • Andy & Shirl Santos
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
      PLEASE REMOVE US FROM YOUR MAILING LIST!! THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
        Hello Jack,
        I just like to know what sort of heating elements you used in your beer
        barrel and did you have say 1 inch bsp or bigger sockets welded to your
        barrel to accomodate the elements. Regards Jan.

        >From: "Jack Ricks" <secondhandjack@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] re;re new still
        >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:30:10 -0000
        >
        >Hi Tony,
        > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
        >Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
        >The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
        >condenser.
        >
        >I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
        >scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
        >I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
        >Glenn?)
        >
        > Regards Jack

      • klcampbell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
          G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What reflux
          ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell sounds
          good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750 watts of
          heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.
          > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
          > Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
          > The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
          > condenser.
          >
          > I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
          > scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
          > I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
          > Glenn?)
          >
          > Regards Jack

        • Jack Ricks
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
            Hi there,
            As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
            Can some one tell me how to work this out.
            Regards Jack

            In new_distillers@y..., "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...> wrote:
            > G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What
            reflux
            > ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell
            sounds
            > good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750
            watts of
            > heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Tony & Elle Ackland
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
              >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
              >Can some one tell me how to work this out.

              The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets condensed and
              returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.

              Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...

              The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if you're using
              an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve on a
              Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your coil
              running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
              collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90 mL/min.
              This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the ratio is
              70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5

              Another way is to use the wee calculator at
              http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This uses the
              amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour flowrate. Eg
              if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then you're
              running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8

              Tony
            • Jack Ricks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 8, 2001
                - Hi Tony
                Thanks for that answer.
                Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it be at
                another ratio.What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
                final product?
                Today I did another run with the same amount,25l and the same alc vol
                in the wash,but it took 130 minutes to get the 5l spirit at 95%.The
                only difference I could see was the weather today was very cold
                compared to last Sunday.Would the temp outside make all that much
                difference>
                The boiler and the column are insulated.

                Regards Jack

                - In new_distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...>
                wrote:
                > >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
                > >Can some one tell me how to work this out.
                >
                > The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets
                condensed and
                > returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.
                >
                > Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...
                >
                > The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if
                you're using
                > an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve
                on a
                > Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your
                coil
                > running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
                > collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90
                mL/min.
                > This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the
                ratio is
                > 70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5
                >
                > Another way is to use the wee calculator at
                > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This
                uses the
                > amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour
                flowrate. Eg
                > if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then
                you're
                > running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8
                >
                > Tony
              • Tony & Elle Ackland
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
                  Jack,

                  >Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it
                  >be at another ratio.

                  Sounds fine to me - its giving you a fantastic result. The point about the
                  reflux ratio is that it is a way of being able to compare how people run
                  different stills. For example, you are probably getting such a great
                  result by having a tall column, and a packing with lots of surface area.
                  Hence the reflux ratio you need is rather low. Thats great for you, as it
                  means you get to collect all your alcohol rather fast. However, someone
                  else, with a shorter column, or less effective packing, may need quite a
                  bit more reflux to get the same (or often, less) purity. By being able to
                  compare reflux ratios, you know where you stand relative to each other. It
                  would also be the first point to ask someone, if they are having low
                  quality results, as if they were only using say a ratio of <2, then the
                  advice would first be to trial it higher, say in the range from 5 to 10 or
                  so.

                  >What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
                  >final product?

                  Its just a means of being able to control and improve the purity. Reflux
                  only gives you a little bit of leverage though - most of the quality is due
                  to the still design. Eg there is no way a short still will ever get high
                  purity alcohol, however by increasing the amount of reflux, you can often
                  improve a 60-100cm still from having say 75% purity up into the 90's. For
                  more detail, see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/refluxdesign.htm
                  Likewise, if someone has to run a reflux of say >10, then maybe they
                  should consider making their column say an extra 50% taller, so that they
                  can then run at a faster rate with less reflux needed.

                  >Would the temp outside make all that much difference ?

                  An extra 40 minutes ? Wouldn't have thought so if everything was perfectly
                  insulated, but it may be a cumulative affect - eg the wash a little bit
                  colder when it went in, the cooling water being colder, slightly more heat
                  loss to the atmosphere, etc etc all slowly adding up. Thats still a damm
                  quick run, for such a high purity.

                  Tony