Re: [new_distillers] re;re new still

  • G&N
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
      Jack ..all my spirit is going through the carbon treatment at the moment
      .... i got the copper scrubbers at the forum in woollies for 46 cents each
      ....i boiled them in a citric acid solution for 20 mins before i used them
      and they had no smell at all when i tried them...the stainless steel ones
      that i have been using only get flushed with hot water after they are used
      through the still so really i should get new ones and test them against the
      copper ones that have had a run through with the tails .... i might try and
      boil the stainless ones as clean as i can to get them like new again. i have
      a run to do soon so i will let you know how i get on.

      That was a great run you got from your still ...very impressive!!

      Glenn

        >         The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
        > Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
        > The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
        > condenser.
        >
        > I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
        > scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
        > I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
        > Glenn?)
        >
        >                        Regards   Jack

      • janpam ooms
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
          Hello Jack,
          I just like to know what sort of heating elements you used in your beer
          barrel and did you have say 1 inch bsp or bigger sockets welded to your
          barrel to accomodate the elements. Regards Jan.

          >From: "Jack Ricks" <secondhandjack@...>
          >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [new_distillers] re;re new still
          >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:30:10 -0000
          >
          >Hi Tony,
          > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
          >Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
          >The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
          >condenser.
          >
          >I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
          >scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
          >I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
          >Glenn?)
          >
          > Regards Jack

        • klcampbell
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
            G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What reflux
            ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell sounds
            good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750 watts of
            heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.
            > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
            > Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
            > The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
            > condenser.
            >
            > I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
            > scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
            > I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
            > Glenn?)
            >
            > Regards Jack

          • Jack Ricks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
              Hi there,
              As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
              Can some one tell me how to work this out.
              Regards Jack

              In new_distillers@y..., "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...> wrote:
              > G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What
              reflux
              > ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell
              sounds
              > good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750
              watts of
              > heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Tony & Elle Ackland
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
                >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
                >Can some one tell me how to work this out.

                The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets condensed and
                returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.

                Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...

                The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if you're using
                an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve on a
                Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your coil
                running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
                collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90 mL/min.
                This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the ratio is
                70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5

                Another way is to use the wee calculator at
                http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This uses the
                amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour flowrate. Eg
                if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then you're
                running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8

                Tony
              • Jack Ricks
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 8, 2001
                  - Hi Tony
                  Thanks for that answer.
                  Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it be at
                  another ratio.What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
                  final product?
                  Today I did another run with the same amount,25l and the same alc vol
                  in the wash,but it took 130 minutes to get the 5l spirit at 95%.The
                  only difference I could see was the weather today was very cold
                  compared to last Sunday.Would the temp outside make all that much
                  difference>
                  The boiler and the column are insulated.

                  Regards Jack

                  - In new_distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
                  > >Can some one tell me how to work this out.
                  >
                  > The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets
                  condensed and
                  > returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.
                  >
                  > Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...
                  >
                  > The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if
                  you're using
                  > an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve
                  on a
                  > Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your
                  coil
                  > running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
                  > collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90
                  mL/min.
                  > This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the
                  ratio is
                  > 70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5
                  >
                  > Another way is to use the wee calculator at
                  > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This
                  uses the
                  > amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour
                  flowrate. Eg
                  > if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then
                  you're
                  > running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8
                  >
                  > Tony
                • Tony & Elle Ackland
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2001
                    Jack,

                    >Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it
                    >be at another ratio.

                    Sounds fine to me - its giving you a fantastic result. The point about the
                    reflux ratio is that it is a way of being able to compare how people run
                    different stills. For example, you are probably getting such a great
                    result by having a tall column, and a packing with lots of surface area.
                    Hence the reflux ratio you need is rather low. Thats great for you, as it
                    means you get to collect all your alcohol rather fast. However, someone
                    else, with a shorter column, or less effective packing, may need quite a
                    bit more reflux to get the same (or often, less) purity. By being able to
                    compare reflux ratios, you know where you stand relative to each other. It
                    would also be the first point to ask someone, if they are having low
                    quality results, as if they were only using say a ratio of <2, then the
                    advice would first be to trial it higher, say in the range from 5 to 10 or
                    so.

                    >What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
                    >final product?

                    Its just a means of being able to control and improve the purity. Reflux
                    only gives you a little bit of leverage though - most of the quality is due
                    to the still design. Eg there is no way a short still will ever get high
                    purity alcohol, however by increasing the amount of reflux, you can often
                    improve a 60-100cm still from having say 75% purity up into the 90's. For
                    more detail, see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/refluxdesign.htm
                    Likewise, if someone has to run a reflux of say >10, then maybe they
                    should consider making their column say an extra 50% taller, so that they
                    can then run at a faster rate with less reflux needed.

                    >Would the temp outside make all that much difference ?

                    An extra 40 minutes ? Wouldn't have thought so if everything was perfectly
                    insulated, but it may be a cumulative affect - eg the wash a little bit
                    colder when it went in, the cooling water being colder, slightly more heat
                    loss to the atmosphere, etc etc all slowly adding up. Thats still a damm
                    quick run, for such a high purity.

                    Tony