Re: [new_distillers] copper

  • al lewis
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 3, 2001
      Hi agein, I have tried to get help previously on this with no luck :(
      I have some 3/16" copper piping and wonder if I can use it for filling the
      column or is it too small. If its Ok what lengths should I cut it too
      please. Many thanks.
      A very interesting book on the history of making Poitin [as its called
      there] and giving a lot of recepies from different parts of the country
      is "In Praise of Poteen" by John Mcguffin, Appletree Press. 6 Dublin Road,
      Belfast. BT2 7HL. ISBN 0 904651363.
      It even shows prisoners in Long Kesh prison making it!!!
      hope it will be of interest to someone it goes back to 1661 when levy was
      placed on spirits.
      thanks for your help
      al

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 3, 2001
        Thanks for the lead on the book- I'm a big fan of Irish whiskey (peated malt
        like the scots use- tastes like dirt to me). Yes you can use the tubing you
        have- just cut the 3/16" tubing so it's as long as it is wide (namely 3/16"
        long). They will work just fine, but, if you want to save yourself the
        trouble of cutting up a bunch of pipe- just use some copper scouring pads.
        They work a little better, and are cheaper. A good poteen recipe around here
        is - 12pounds of pale malt syrup (unhopped) added to 5 gallons of boiling
        water, stir until dissolved and ferment with an ale yeast.
        distill this in a still capable of pushing out 91%abv throughout the entire
        run, then add (distilled) water to cut it back to 55%. If you want to age
        it, add a small amount (a half teaspoon per bottle) of heavily toasted
        American oak and let it sit until it takes on a honey gold color- right
        good!! By the way, is poteen normally found aged or unaged (white) in
        Ireland? Cheers, Jack
      • Michael Spottswood
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 28, 2002
          I spent the afternoon building a jacket condenser from copper pipe. I plan
          to attach that to a glass jug to boil in a water bath as a simple pot still.
          My question is, what is the procedure for cleaning the copper prior to
          use? I am sure there is still some flux inside the pipe I would like to get
          out before I try to distill with it. After I get good with this I plan on
          adding a doubler/thumper, then this summer I am going to finish my reflux
          still whose column is already complete (just need to attach it to some kind
          of boiler).

          Thanks
          Mike

        • AuntyEthyl
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 28, 2002
            Mike,

            I have found that a good soak with vinegar is and
            excellent way to clean the internal surfaces of copper
            pipes.

            Block one end, invert and fill to top with vinegar.
            Leave for 20 mins then rinse with hot water.

            Run a few test runs using just water in your boiler.
            This helps to clean out any last gunky bits.

            If the pipe is extremely dirty to start with, use some
            steelwool pads (The ones without soap). Thread some
            fishing line or fine wire thru the pipe. Tie it to an
            appropriate sized piece of steelwool pad and pull thru
            a couple of times. Should have it shiny before you
            know it.

            Cheers
            AuntyEthyl

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 28, 2002
              The best treatment for copper is to boil it in a 50/50 water/vinegar mix.
              It's a good food grade acid that cleans copper very well- it even degreases
              it, too. What kind of jug are you using? I might want one too!
            • Michael Spottswood
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 28, 2002
                For a glass jar I have been using an old 2 litre chemist's flask with good
                results. I am going to connect my new condenser with delivery pipe to a 1
                US gallon Apple cider jug. If that pans out ok, I am going to buy a beer
                making kit from the local brewshoppe and use the 5 US gallon glass carboy
                for a boiler (while I am not making beer). Hopefully, I will soon come to a
                finish on my reflux setup. I am still looking for a suitable boiler. I
                have a 20 quart about 19 litre cheap stainless pot, but I don't want to use
                it because it is too light and too small. I am hoping to find a reasonably
                priced boiler about twice that size. I have a 5 US gallon milking can; I
                may look into cutting it in half and welding on some sheet stainless in
                between. It's tough around here though to find scrap stainless, brass, or
                copper because the local (around Kansas City) recycler cuts up everything he
                gets immediately and sends it down the line. So anyway, nothing special on
                the glass; you can get 5 gallon jars for about US $20 with ease around here.
                I have even seen them reasonably priced on e-bay, but the shipping is a
                little steep.

                Thanks for the advice:
                Mike

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Thanks for the tip. Umm... I'd avoid trying to use a five gallon
                  homebrewing carboy if I was you. I work part-time in a homebrew shop in the
                  US. I've seen at least a dozen carboys explode when people try to either,
                  1.sanitize them with heat, or 2.use them as a still body. They just can't
                  take the heat you need. I don't know if anyone of the people I've seen come
                  in for replacement carboys (one guy was covered in glass) ever tried using a
                  hot water bath, but I can't really see it helping THAT much.
                • Ian Macsween
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
                    Amen! I use glass carboys as secondary fermentors and for storing wine and
                    spirits. I have not broke one yet - touch wood. The last one I bought came
                    with a caveat - do not clean using "hot" tap water! So if hot tap water will
                    break a carboy - go figure what direct or even indirect heat will do!

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
                      Well, that being the case I will forego the glass jugs. I would guess that
                      the cider jug would be the same. The chemist's flask I use is made by pyrex
                      so it is likely more resistant to heat. Instead I think I will concentrate
                      on finishing the reflux still out back.

                      Thanks for the advice
                      Mike

                    • Tony & Elle Ackland
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 1, 2002
                        Mike,

                        > what is the procedure for cleaning the copper prior to use?

                        see http://homedistiller.org/materials.htm#copper

                        Tony
                      • steve
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
                          --- Michael Spottswood <mikespotts@...> wrote:
                          > I spent the afternoon building a jacket condenser
                          > from copper pipe. I plan
                          > to attach that to a glass jug to boil in a water
                          > bath as a simple pot still.
                          > My question is, what is the procedure for cleaning
                          > the copper prior to
                          > use? I am sure there is still some flux inside the
                          > pipe I would like to get
                          > out before I try to distill with it. After I get
                          > good with this I plan on
                          > adding a doubler/thumper, then this summer I am
                          > going to finish my reflux
                          > still whose column is already complete (just need to
                          > attach it to some kind
                          > of boiler).
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Mike
                          > fill it with coke it will clean it shiney.

                          http://sports.yahoo.com
                        • stillyaakman
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 19 6:53 PM
                            A good source of copper piping and fittings is the local
                            refrigeration supply house.
                            Dan
                          • Zeke Jones
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 20 1:59 AM

                              A better source of copper,of the size needed for a  column etc would be a Plumbing Contractors supply Co....an even better source of copper tubing is a salvage yard....expect to pay appx 25-50% of the original cost of tubing(sweat)...not a good source of 'Ts','90s',reducers etc...these 'babies' will cost you plenty,especially in the 1.5" + sizes...example,in this area a 1.5"x1.5"x.5" 'T' will cost you appx $8ea....

                              >From: "stillyaakman"
                              >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [new_distillers] copper
                              >Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:53:15 -0000
                              >
                              >A good source of copper piping and fittings is the local
                              >refrigeration supply house.
                              >Dan

                            • Bryan Ripperger
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                                Can you use any kind of copper to make the vat or do you have to use a
                                certian kind of copper. Thanks for the help Ripp
                              • Bryan Ripperger
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005
                                  Is there any kind of copper that should not be used when making a
                                  still Bryan.
                                • Snowblind Moose
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005
                                    Just be sure it hasn't been treated with a plastic or lacquer covering
                                    to stop it from oxidizing, like some of the ornamental copper is.

                                    -Tony

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Ripperger"
                                  • jkirby007@netzero.net
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005

                                      <brywayripp@y...> wrote:
                                      > Is there any kind of copper that should not be used when making a
                                      > still Bryan.

                                      one other thing to look for in used copper is lead solder traces any where on the copper especially on the inside of the tubing. i have found some neat looking pipe that had lead solder on the inside and was almost un useable, a stainless steel scrubb pad attached to a long drill bit or rod of some sort will generally take most stuff from the inside if you do it rite or one of the new rotary flapper type sand wheels attached to a long rod extension,will do an even better job,
                                      happy building and good luk
                                      jesse jkirby007@...

                                    • KM Services
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 22, 2008

                                        I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot’s beak and once I get it all cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys with the copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking? That is safe of course.

                                        Cheers

                                        Ken Mc

                                      • Greg
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 22, 2008
                                          Hey Ken, It's all good with a hand shake in my book. I was just on that
                                          Kiwi=Ebay site, Those are some good lookin' rig's!! I cant find the
                                          video's though. Can you help out on that? Thank's Greg P.S To help w/
                                          your "Patina" on copper, use a cheese cloth/nylon stocking and a very
                                          fine coat of ... Get this: I work w/materials that take the beating from
                                          the outside elements

                                          Veggie oil. Yep Veggie oil! It repels water and does not "stain" the
                                          metal. I use it w/my wifes antique shop all the time.

                                          Hope this help's

                                          Greg PPS Vid's...

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot's beak and once I get
                                          it all
                                          > cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular
                                          > polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys with
                                          the
                                          > copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking? That
                                          is
                                          > safe of course.
                                          >
                                          > Cheers
                                          >
                                          > Ken Mc

                                        • KM Services
                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 22, 2008

                                            Greg,

                                            Thanks Mate, new there had to be a simple solution; that auction has finished and yes there are a few stills there on Trade me but will give you the links to the 5 video’s http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fractional+home+distillation&search_type=

                                            Cheers

                                            Ken Mc

                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 22, 2008

                                              Thanks Mate, new there had to be a simple solution; that auction has finished and yes there are a few stills there on Trade me but will give you the links to the 5 video’s http://www.youtube. com/results? search_query= fractional+ home+distillatio n&search_type=

                                               http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=156867871 the guy has re-listed that still and here is the link

                                              Cheers

                                              Ken Mc

                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 22, 2008
                                                <km_services@...> wrote:

                                                > I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot's beak and once I
                                                get it all
                                                > cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular
                                                > polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys
                                                with the
                                                > copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking?
                                                That is
                                                > safe of course.
                                                >
                                                > Cheers
                                                >
                                                > Ken Mc

                                              • Dink
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 22, 2008
                                                  Thx Ken. Great videos...

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                                                    i'm finding it next to impossible to find 2" copper.any sug.i live in ind.
                                                  • John Brase
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                                                      Is there a Menard's Hardware anywhere near? They have it. Lowe's also has it but Menard's price is quite a lot cheaper.

                                                      i'm finding it next to impossible to find 2" copper.any sug.i live in ind.

                                                    • Rainero Morgia
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                                                          an  alternate  is  to  use  a  2" stainless pipe  and  use  a  copper  packing

                                                          Is there a Menard's Hardware anywhere near? They have it. Lowe's also has it but Menard's price is quite a lot cheaper.

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 26, 2010
                                                            in my area (New England) lowes and home depot sell 2" pipe and fittings
                                                            pipe was cheaper at Home depot . fittings cheaper at lowes. i work in commercial construction . ive once traded the boss plumber 2 large pizza's for a 7' stick of 2". check job sites and barter. maybe trade some product.