RE: [new_distillers] Say what?!!

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2000
      There are many ways of building/designing/running a still. It really comes
      down to whats best for your situation.

      The thumber is in essence simply a single plate reflux column - an area for
      liquid & vapour to come to equilibrium. The amount of liquid can be pretty
      variable, provided that there is enough contact with it to "treat" all the
      vapour passing through. Because they are simply bubbling the vapour
      through, with no real fancy tricks like perforated plates to distribute the
      gas & liquid & make lots of tiny bubbles with heaps of surface area, it
      means that you probably have to have a decent depth in it to get it working
      ok. Hence the "thump" when its bubbling - big bubbles coming up through a
      head of liquid.

      Hence the better the design of it, the less liquid is required; or scale it
      down in size regardless and still a fairly good result from it anyhow.

      We've heard how thumpers come in different sizes; Deb's 5 gallon still uses
      2.5 gallon (10L) of mash, and the 1 gallon thumper uses about 1 quart (1L)
      of liquid. Her yield is 2-3 quarts (L). The photos that Mark posted show
      a smaller thumper.

      If you are going to have a large thumper, it wouldn't make sense to use
      water in it, because so much of your initial alcohol is going into just
      saturating the water; hence the use of the "tails". But if you have a
      small thumper, its not too much difference.

      As for the technique of returning it ALL to the thumper - this would depend
      again on the size of the unit. Yes, it would make sense in the situation
      of where you have a large thumper, but if it is small, you may not have
      enough capacity. eg - Debs case where her yield is 2-3 times that which
      would fit in the thumper - hence just keep the tails to use.

      This is just another situation where there are many ways of doing basically
      the same thing, neither way is strictly wrong or right.

      Tony the Confuser.