re;re new still

  • Jack Ricks
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2 11:30 PM
      Hi Tony,
      The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
      Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
      The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
      condenser.

      I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
      scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
      I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
      Glenn?)

      Regards Jack
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3 7:02 PM
        Jack ..all my spirit is going through the carbon treatment at the moment
        .... i got the copper scrubbers at the forum in woollies for 46 cents each
        ....i boiled them in a citric acid solution for 20 mins before i used them
        and they had no smell at all when i tried them...the stainless steel ones
        that i have been using only get flushed with hot water after they are used
        through the still so really i should get new ones and test them against the
        copper ones that have had a run through with the tails .... i might try and
        boil the stainless ones as clean as i can to get them like new again. i have
        a run to do soon so i will let you know how i get on.

        That was a great run you got from your still ...very impressive!!

        Glenn

        > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
        > Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
        > The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
        > condenser.
        >
        > I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
        > scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
        > I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
        > Glenn?)
        >
        > Regards Jack

      • Andy & Shirl Santos

          >         The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
          > Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
          > The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
          > condenser.
          >
          > I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
          > scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
          > I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
          > Glenn?)
          >
          >                        Regards   Jack

        • janpam ooms
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6 6:19 AM
            Hello Jack,
            I just like to know what sort of heating elements you used in your beer
            barrel and did you have say 1 inch bsp or bigger sockets welded to your
            barrel to accomodate the elements. Regards Jan.

            >From: "Jack Ricks" <secondhandjack@...>
            >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [new_distillers] re;re new still
            >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:30:10 -0000
            >
            >Hi Tony,
            > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
            >Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
            >The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
            >condenser.
            >
            >I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
            >scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
            >I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
            >Glenn?)
            >
            > Regards Jack

          • klcampbell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6 2:58 PM
              G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What reflux
              ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell sounds
              good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750 watts of
              heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.
              > The spirit was the same(95%)using both 1800w and 3600w.
              > Yes the column is 50mm and I have it insulated as well.
              > The whole thing is made of s/steel except for the copper coil in the
              > condenser.
              >
              > I was also very interested in the results that Glenn got using copper
              > scrubbers in his column regarding the flavor difference.
              > I think I will have to try this for myself( or check yours out
              > Glenn?)
              >
              > Regards Jack

            • Jack Ricks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7 5:35 PM
                Hi there,
                As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
                Can some one tell me how to work this out.
                Regards Jack

                In new_distillers@y..., "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...> wrote:
                > G'day Jack,fasinated by your production from the 50Lt. kettle.What
                reflux
                > ratio were you running to get your 95% in 100 minutes? Sure as hell
                sounds
                > good.I run the same size tower on a 30 Lt. kettle and only 1750
                watts of
                > heating and my output is a lot slower @ 12:1 reflux.Regards Ken.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Tony & Elle Ackland
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7 8:36 PM
                  >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
                  >Can some one tell me how to work this out.

                  The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets condensed and
                  returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.

                  Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...

                  The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if you're using
                  an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve on a
                  Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your coil
                  running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
                  collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90 mL/min.
                  This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the ratio is
                  70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5

                  Another way is to use the wee calculator at
                  http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This uses the
                  amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour flowrate. Eg
                  if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then you're
                  running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8

                  Tony
                • Jack Ricks
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 8 12:09 AM
                    - Hi Tony
                    Thanks for that answer.
                    Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it be at
                    another ratio.What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
                    final product?
                    Today I did another run with the same amount,25l and the same alc vol
                    in the wash,but it took 130 minutes to get the 5l spirit at 95%.The
                    only difference I could see was the weather today was very cold
                    compared to last Sunday.Would the temp outside make all that much
                    difference>
                    The boiler and the column are insulated.

                    Regards Jack

                    - In new_distillers@y..., Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > >As for the reflux ratio,I have no idea.
                    > >Can some one tell me how to work this out.
                    >
                    > The reflux ratio is the ratio of how much of the vapour gets
                    condensed and
                    > returned back down the column vs how much you keep as distillate.
                    >
                    > Theres a couple of ways of working this out ...
                    >
                    > The first is simply to turn off the reflux condensor coil (if
                    you're using
                    > an internal coil, or pass-through tubes), or fully open the valve
                    on a
                    > Nixon-Stone, and measure how much you then collect - eg with your
                    coil
                    > running, or water through the "through tubes", say you're normally
                    > collecting at 20 mL/minute. Turn them off, and it goes up to 90
                    mL/min.
                    > This would say that you're usually refluxing 70 mL/min, so the
                    ratio is
                    > 70:20 or 3.5:1 or just call it a ratio of 3.5
                    >
                    > Another way is to use the wee calculator at
                    > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm#use_fract . This
                    uses the
                    > amount of heat you're putting in to estimate the total vapour
                    flowrate. Eg
                    > if you're collecting 50 mL/min (5L in 100 min) off 3600W, then
                    you're
                    > running with a reflux ratio of approx 3.8
                    >
                    > Tony
                  • Tony & Elle Ackland
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10 9:12 PM
                      Jack,

                      >Tell me,is the reflux ratio of 3.8 in my still OK, or should it
                      >be at another ratio.

                      Sounds fine to me - its giving you a fantastic result. The point about the
                      reflux ratio is that it is a way of being able to compare how people run
                      different stills. For example, you are probably getting such a great
                      result by having a tall column, and a packing with lots of surface area.
                      Hence the reflux ratio you need is rather low. Thats great for you, as it
                      means you get to collect all your alcohol rather fast. However, someone
                      else, with a shorter column, or less effective packing, may need quite a
                      bit more reflux to get the same (or often, less) purity. By being able to
                      compare reflux ratios, you know where you stand relative to each other. It
                      would also be the first point to ask someone, if they are having low
                      quality results, as if they were only using say a ratio of <2, then the
                      advice would first be to trial it higher, say in the range from 5 to 10 or
                      so.

                      >What is the importance of this ratio in regards to the
                      >final product?

                      Its just a means of being able to control and improve the purity. Reflux
                      only gives you a little bit of leverage though - most of the quality is due
                      to the still design. Eg there is no way a short still will ever get high
                      purity alcohol, however by increasing the amount of reflux, you can often
                      improve a 60-100cm still from having say 75% purity up into the 90's. For
                      more detail, see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/refluxdesign.htm
                      Likewise, if someone has to run a reflux of say >10, then maybe they
                      should consider making their column say an extra 50% taller, so that they
                      can then run at a faster rate with less reflux needed.

                      >Would the temp outside make all that much difference ?

                      An extra 40 minutes ? Wouldn't have thought so if everything was perfectly
                      insulated, but it may be a cumulative affect - eg the wash a little bit
                      colder when it went in, the cooling water being colder, slightly more heat
                      loss to the atmosphere, etc etc all slowly adding up. Thats still a damm
                      quick run, for such a high purity.

                      Tony