Re: [new_distillers] ?? for ALEX

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
      I think if you keep distillation process slow, meaning that the heat is only enough to simmer the pot, the length of the column may be reduced without notable degradation of quality. I think, if you trim 6-9 inches of height nothing will happen. If you still dont like what you have done :-) then you always can extend or change the piece of pipe serving as the column. That is the beauty of a modular design. Personally, my column filled with scrubbers is three feet tall. I think 2 feet will make almost no change on one condition -- slow distillation. However I am surprised that you can not fit the unit on the top stove. Are your ceilings that low?

      Wil <wbg_us@...> wrote:
      Alex,  i am building your SR design as you know,  im thinking of trying it as a stove top, using a 2' Reflux column,  but the head and condenser are still making it a bit tall,  i currently have the condensor @ 12"  Have you experaminted with shorter lengths to make a more compact design and to what results??  How short U think I can get away with and still keep all the vapors going back into the mix?? Thanks, Wil

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Wil
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
        Thanks Alex, After looking the cituation over, i decided to trim
        about 1 1/2" extra tubing off the condensor which leaves the bottom
        of the coil almost flush with the bottom of the tube and after doing
        a WEE bit of tweaking to the input and output tubes and pounding the
        convex bottom of the pot into a concave shape i have about an inch
        of head room now It was there all the time, i just needed to find
        it LOL. I will also play around a bit with the distillation rate to
        see what works best.

        thanks again..