new still

  • Jack Ricks
    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 2, 2001
      Hi there group
      Just thought you would all like to know that I have
      finished the new still.My first still was constructed from a 9 litre
      electric urn(pics can be seen at Tony's web site "Jacks still")and it
      worked fine except for inconvenience of having to do 4 runs from a 25
      litre wash.So with all the info I have obtained from this group and
      the other one,also Tony's web site I have constructed a new still
      from a 50 litre s/steel beer keg
      The heat to boil it comes from 2x1800 elements wired seperatly.
      The tower is 1200mm high and the condenser is 400mm on the
      Nixon/Stone design.
      The first run of 25litres took 40 minutes to to boil and I turned of
      one of the elements.This worked really good and it took 3 hours to
      get 5 litres of 95% spirit.It certainley was better than doing 4 runs
      with the old still.
      The next 25 litres was the same except at the start of the boil,I
      forgot to turn off the extra element and could not work out why the
      spirit was comming so fast.The temp at the top of the tower was at
      78deg and I couldnt change it no matter what I did.It was at that
      stage I realised that I still had the 2 elements on,so I decided to
      let it run with the 2 elements going.
      The result was that the run took only 100 minutes to get the 5litres
      of spirit.
      I am very pleased about these results.
      Thank you all for the info that I have gained from this site and to
      Tony for a great web site
      Kind Regards

      Jack
    • Jim Graves
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 1, 2013
        I have used it both ways, today I ran the last of 55 gallons of UJSM and did it in my reflux still with the valve fully open.  I got almost two gallons out of 12 gallons of distillate.  It went from 70 down to 30 when I cut it off.  All mixed together it comes out at about 45% and it tastes great!  Made apple pie out of it and and it is very nice!

        James D. Graves
        Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
        251-533-8569