Re: first run questions

  • CornFed (Randy)
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raptillicus2"
      <rudytbagis@a...> wrote:
      > hello all 1st will there be any problems experimenting with Ian
      > Smileys 30 litter flaked maize recipe in a large pot still of 100
      > gallon ,or should I scale it up a bit ,for it will only fill the
      > boiler a couple of inches.

      whether you distill the 30 liter ferment in a large or small pot wont
      make any difference to the ethanol. What will make a difference is
      if there will be enough depth of liquid pooled on the bottom of your
      boiler to prevent scorching and hot spots. Once the ethanol
      is 'made' in the fermentation sequence, you can add any amount of
      water to make up the depth you require.

      You could scale it up easily enough. Just be sure to only fill the
      boiler about 60 percent if you intend to distill on the grains. Or
      else you will encounter a foaming problem clear up into your lyne
      arm. No matter how full you fill the boiler it will foam up. Even if
      you take the wort off the grains it will still foam up.

      Only fill your boiler up to near capacity if you are working with
      liquid that has already been distilled.

      2nd Is there any reason why i cant mash
      > in the stainless boiler part of the still. bottom is thick and
      > still is fired with propain . further more any reason i should not
      > ferment in the still,by dissconecting the copper union on the lid
      and
      > inserting a air lock

      as long as the top opening is large enough to get your hand inside
      for cleaning purposes, it should work just fine. As you know, when
      you mash grains, it becomes a thick porriage at one point. Also
      after the fermentation, all of the grain that went in has to come
      back out. Cleanliness of the boiler will have the largest effect on
      your fermentation success.

      if you intended to distill on the grains, the main question that I
      would have a firm understanding of the answer is: 'how am I going to
      get the grains back out and then clean the boiler'.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
        raptillicus2 wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] first run questions

          hello all 1st will there be any problems experimenting with Ian Smileys 30 litter flaked maize recipe in a large pot still of 100
        gallon ,or should I scale it up a bit ,for it will only fill the boiler  a couple of inches. 2nd Is there any reason why i cant mash
        in the  stainless boiler part of the still.   bottom is thick  and still is fired with propain . further more any reason i should not
        ferment in the still,by dissconecting the copper union on the lid and inserting a air lock
        I passed on this query to Ian, and his reply is copied below
        Mike N
        He'll have to scale the recipe up to at least 50 gallons, just running a few inches on the bottom is not a good idea.  Also, with a pot still he'll want to strip the batch before he does the final spirit run.  A 30L batch of mash yields only 20L of liquid to be distilled, and that 20L only yields about 3.5 or 4L of low wines for the final run.  The 3.5 or 4L would definitely be to small in a 100 gallon pot still for doing a spirit run.

        As for mashing and fermenting in the still boiler, this would work, but he'd have to keep in mind that he would need to aerate the mash before he puts the yeast in, and he will have to separate out the solids before he can strip it.  So, he will definitely have to move the mash from the still after the fermentation is finished before he can run it.  If he tried to strip the mash with the solids in place with a propane-flame heat source he'd scorch the grain solids on the bottom of the still boiler.

        Regards

        Ian