first run questions

  • raptillicus2
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
      hello all 1st will there be any problems experimenting with Ian
      Smileys 30 litter flaked maize recipe in a large pot still of 100
      gallon ,or should I scale it up a bit ,for it will only fill the
      boiler a couple of inches. 2nd Is there any reason why i cant mash
      in the stainless boiler part of the still. bottom is thick and
      still is fired with propain . further more any reason i should not
      ferment in the still,by dissconecting the copper union on the lid and
      inserting a air lock
    • CornFed (Randy)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raptillicus2"
        <rudytbagis@a...> wrote:
        > hello all 1st will there be any problems experimenting with Ian
        > Smileys 30 litter flaked maize recipe in a large pot still of 100
        > gallon ,or should I scale it up a bit ,for it will only fill the
        > boiler a couple of inches.

        whether you distill the 30 liter ferment in a large or small pot wont
        make any difference to the ethanol. What will make a difference is
        if there will be enough depth of liquid pooled on the bottom of your
        boiler to prevent scorching and hot spots. Once the ethanol
        is 'made' in the fermentation sequence, you can add any amount of
        water to make up the depth you require.

        You could scale it up easily enough. Just be sure to only fill the
        boiler about 60 percent if you intend to distill on the grains. Or
        else you will encounter a foaming problem clear up into your lyne
        arm. No matter how full you fill the boiler it will foam up. Even if
        you take the wort off the grains it will still foam up.

        Only fill your boiler up to near capacity if you are working with
        liquid that has already been distilled.

        2nd Is there any reason why i cant mash
        > in the stainless boiler part of the still. bottom is thick and
        > still is fired with propain . further more any reason i should not
        > ferment in the still,by dissconecting the copper union on the lid
        and
        > inserting a air lock

        as long as the top opening is large enough to get your hand inside
        for cleaning purposes, it should work just fine. As you know, when
        you mash grains, it becomes a thick porriage at one point. Also
        after the fermentation, all of the grain that went in has to come
        back out. Cleanliness of the boiler will have the largest effect on
        your fermentation success.

        if you intended to distill on the grains, the main question that I
        would have a firm understanding of the answer is: 'how am I going to
        get the grains back out and then clean the boiler'.
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
          raptillicus2 wrote:
          Subject: [new_distillers] first run questions

            hello all 1st will there be any problems experimenting with Ian Smileys 30 litter flaked maize recipe in a large pot still of 100
          gallon ,or should I scale it up a bit ,for it will only fill the boiler  a couple of inches. 2nd Is there any reason why i cant mash
          in the  stainless boiler part of the still.   bottom is thick  and still is fired with propain . further more any reason i should not
          ferment in the still,by dissconecting the copper union on the lid and inserting a air lock
          I passed on this query to Ian, and his reply is copied below
          Mike N
          He'll have to scale the recipe up to at least 50 gallons, just running a few inches on the bottom is not a good idea.  Also, with a pot still he'll want to strip the batch before he does the final spirit run.  A 30L batch of mash yields only 20L of liquid to be distilled, and that 20L only yields about 3.5 or 4L of low wines for the final run.  The 3.5 or 4L would definitely be to small in a 100 gallon pot still for doing a spirit run.

          As for mashing and fermenting in the still boiler, this would work, but he'd have to keep in mind that he would need to aerate the mash before he puts the yeast in, and he will have to separate out the solids before he can strip it.  So, he will definitely have to move the mash from the still after the fermentation is finished before he can run it.  If he tried to strip the mash with the solids in place with a propane-flame heat source he'd scorch the grain solids on the bottom of the still boiler.

          Regards

          Ian