Re: My still is done..now the hard part...

  • FirlaTin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
      -That is what I was hoping someone would say. I will try it with
      cheap wine.
      Circuitry isn't my my forte, I'm trying to find a cheap motor
      controller to cut down on the heat.
      Thanks again,
      Jeff

      -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
      > Jeff, you described expected course of action for water. Please run
      the still as supposed - with some alcohol in the water. I will behave
      differently. You can get one gallon cheap wine and distill it. You
      will see what will happen. Good luck and reduce a little the power of
      the heating element. If you dont want to get into the power
      controller field -- try a diode of corresponding power handling and
      the voltage. It will cut the power.

      > software
    • nanosleep
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
        You'll be surprised at how much cooler the alcohol output will be as
        compared to water. When distilling water the output is so hot it will
        burn you, but when distilling alcohol the output is comfortably warm.
        This is in the same still with the same heat input. Water takes lots
        of energy to heat it, and requires lots of energy loss before it will
        cool.
        With a packed column, the temperature rise at the head is quite
        sudden. You should be able to feel the 'hot spot' rising through the
        column. You can leave your cooling water flow off until this hot spot
        gets near the top of the column.
        What is the size of the pipe connecting your double reducers? It
        should be on the order of 1 inch. This should give you plenty of area
        to allow the vapors to rise and the liquid to fall without any
        gurgling. I use a single reducer style head with no noticable
        gurgling. I can hear the liquid dripping off the condenser. Sounds
        like running water, but not like bubbling.
        What is the diameter of your column? I run 1500watts with a 2 inch
        column with no problems. Perhaps the gurgling you hear is your column
        flooding. Do you have the packing too tight? Can you easily blow
        through the column?
        When I distill water I run with no reflux and my output valve is fully
        open. In this condition the output rate surges badly. I think this
        is the result of the surface tension of water. It seems like the
        water needs to build up before it will 'break over' and run down the
        output tube. The still will 'spit' out half an ounce at a time. When
        I distill alcohol I run with high reflux and the output valve is only
        slightly open. In this condition there is a pool of alcohol in the
        head which totally covers the output valve opening. There is no
        surface tension effect and there is no surging.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "FirlaTin" <firlatin@y...>
        wrote:
        > I finished my still, a beer keg boiler with a 1500w heating element
        > in the side, 4 feet of 2" copper for a column and a double reducer
        > over-flow style head.
        > I did my first run and had a few "problems". I am not sure if the
        > problems are because it is a run of just water, and/or are they are
        > just a few of the idiosyncrasies of this type of head
        >
        > 1.My temp seemed low until the steam hit the head, then it shot to
        > 212F, I expected that to happen. This caused alot of vapor to hit
        my
        > condensor which in turn seemed to flood the bottom of the head. I
        > could hear "gurgling" as the reflux was trying to get back through
        > the reducers. I was at max reflux. Is the "gurgling " normal?
        >
        > 2.My product was 160F at the end of collection tube. Is this normal
        > for this type of head? I figured that because the output tube is in
        > close proxemity of the hot vapors it would be warm, but 160F seemed
        > high, or is this because I was using water.
        >
        > After it settled down (I drained off the sudden surge) I was able
        > get 250ml in 10 minutes with my collection valve fully open.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Jeff
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
          FirlaTin wrote:
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: My still is done..now the hard part...

          Circuitry isn't my my forte, I'm trying to find a cheap motor controller to cut down on the heat.
          Thanks again,
          Jeff
          Jeff,
          Motor controllers will burn out if used to control high wattage heater elements.
          What you need to be looking for is a cheap burst fire controller designed for the job.
          Have a look at

          All the best,
          Mike N