RE: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003

      Personal experience is what it is all about. Me, well I make sugar wash’s and just pour the whole lot in, less the sediment, no settling or clarifying, distil once at 96% and polish with carbon. Yes, I know I could get a better product if I slowed down the electricity, double distilled and clarified the wash, but as I use town water to dilute my 96% spirit, I need to put the 40% stuff through carbon for this reason as well. So, I go through a little more carbon, at $4 a kilo to treat 100 litres, who cares. When I compare it to fellow distillers that double distil and triple carbon filter, well let’s just say taste becomes a subjective nuance and personal bias takes over.

      Final word is, try the various techniques and find what suits you.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
        Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
        though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with everyone
        how the run turns out.
      • Campbell Ritchie
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
          I had to do a run last night before the wash had cleared (due to
          upcoming work commitments). I kept it slower than normal -about 15-
          20 ml per minute and it produced the cleanest spirit I've done so
          far. 500ml heads collected in two bottles -the second one was almost
          good enough to use. 1000ml first part of middle cut 95% slight
          smell. 2000ml middle of run at 96% no smell or taste when diluted.
          2100ml end of run 95% slight smell. 800ml tails at 70% av. It did
          take about 3 hours longer than usual but speed aint everything.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "timmur64" <timmur64@y...>
          wrote:
          > Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
          > though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with
          everyone
          > how the run turns out.
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
            i too dont bother clearing wash for distilling vodka. stripping is
            cheaper and quicker than finings.

            BUT what do pot distillers find, who dont do a full separation? i
            have brewed a demerara sugar wash. 0.75kg to a gallon and a small
            spoon of black label turbo. it brewed and cleared well in 2 weeks. it
            tastes very nice just as a wash, so i am expecting a nice light rum.