Re: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash

  • Harley Daschund
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
      From my personal experience,clarity of the wash makes little,if any
      difference ....but,I ALWAYS 'strip' first then re-distill for the final
      product.

      >From: "timmur64" <timmur64@...>
      >Subject: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash
      ........... How important is the clarity of a wash
      >to the taste of the final product?

    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003

        Personal experience is what it is all about. Me, well I make sugar wash’s and just pour the whole lot in, less the sediment, no settling or clarifying, distil once at 96% and polish with carbon. Yes, I know I could get a better product if I slowed down the electricity, double distilled and clarified the wash, but as I use town water to dilute my 96% spirit, I need to put the 40% stuff through carbon for this reason as well. So, I go through a little more carbon, at $4 a kilo to treat 100 litres, who cares. When I compare it to fellow distillers that double distil and triple carbon filter, well let’s just say taste becomes a subjective nuance and personal bias takes over.

        Final word is, try the various techniques and find what suits you.

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

        difference ....but,I ALWAYS 'strip' first then re-distill for the final
        product.

        >From: "timmur64" <timmur64@...>
        >Subject: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash
        ........... How important is the clarity of a wash
        >to the taste of the final product?

      • timmur64
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
          Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
          though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with everyone
          how the run turns out.
        • Campbell Ritchie
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
            I had to do a run last night before the wash had cleared (due to
            upcoming work commitments). I kept it slower than normal -about 15-
            20 ml per minute and it produced the cleanest spirit I've done so
            far. 500ml heads collected in two bottles -the second one was almost
            good enough to use. 1000ml first part of middle cut 95% slight
            smell. 2000ml middle of run at 96% no smell or taste when diluted.
            2100ml end of run 95% slight smell. 800ml tails at 70% av. It did
            take about 3 hours longer than usual but speed aint everything.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "timmur64" <timmur64@y...>
            wrote:
            > Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
            > though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with
            everyone
            > how the run turns out.
          • peter_vcb
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
              i too dont bother clearing wash for distilling vodka. stripping is
              cheaper and quicker than finings.

              BUT what do pot distillers find, who dont do a full separation? i
              have brewed a demerara sugar wash. 0.75kg to a gallon and a small
              spoon of black label turbo. it brewed and cleared well in 2 weeks. it
              tastes very nice just as a wash, so i am expecting a nice light rum.