Re: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
      The sediment in the wash has no importance if you distill slow and the column is packed nicely. What's important is the start of the main collection. Try to collect first 30% separately and then the last 30% also separately. The middle 40% dont need polishing with carbon if you want to skip this stage.

      timmur64 <timmur64@...> wrote:
      Awhile ago, I asked about making clean vodka from a sugar wash and
      an N/S still (thread was called clean vodka) and I would like to
      pose a similar question now. How important is the clarity of a wash
      to the taste of the final product?  What if the cloudiness is from
      yeast that hasn't settled yet? I've researched this question a bit
      and it seems that opinions vary. I realize that letting the wash
      clear is probably best, but is it necessary? BTW, the still in
      question is a stainless steel 1.875" column, 45" long with
      structured copper packing, and an appropriately sized condenser.
      Assume slow still operation for max seperation. I do not wish to
      polish with carbon.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Harley Daschund
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
        From my personal experience,clarity of the wash makes little,if any
        difference ....but,I ALWAYS 'strip' first then re-distill for the final
        product.

        >From: "timmur64" <timmur64@...>
        >Subject: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash
        ........... How important is the clarity of a wash
        >to the taste of the final product?

      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003

          Personal experience is what it is all about. Me, well I make sugar wash’s and just pour the whole lot in, less the sediment, no settling or clarifying, distil once at 96% and polish with carbon. Yes, I know I could get a better product if I slowed down the electricity, double distilled and clarified the wash, but as I use town water to dilute my 96% spirit, I need to put the 40% stuff through carbon for this reason as well. So, I go through a little more carbon, at $4 a kilo to treat 100 litres, who cares. When I compare it to fellow distillers that double distil and triple carbon filter, well let’s just say taste becomes a subjective nuance and personal bias takes over.

          Final word is, try the various techniques and find what suits you.

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

          difference ....but,I ALWAYS 'strip' first then re-distill for the final
          product.

          >From: "timmur64" <timmur64@...>
          >Subject: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash
          ........... How important is the clarity of a wash
          >to the taste of the final product?

        • timmur64
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
            Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
            though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with everyone
            how the run turns out.
          • Campbell Ritchie
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
              I had to do a run last night before the wash had cleared (due to
              upcoming work commitments). I kept it slower than normal -about 15-
              20 ml per minute and it produced the cleanest spirit I've done so
              far. 500ml heads collected in two bottles -the second one was almost
              good enough to use. 1000ml first part of middle cut 95% slight
              smell. 2000ml middle of run at 96% no smell or taste when diluted.
              2100ml end of run 95% slight smell. 800ml tails at 70% av. It did
              take about 3 hours longer than usual but speed aint everything.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "timmur64" <timmur64@y...>
              wrote:
              > Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
              > though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with
              everyone
              > how the run turns out.
            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
                i too dont bother clearing wash for distilling vodka. stripping is
                cheaper and quicker than finings.

                BUT what do pot distillers find, who dont do a full separation? i
                have brewed a demerara sugar wash. 0.75kg to a gallon and a small
                spoon of black label turbo. it brewed and cleared well in 2 weeks. it
                tastes very nice just as a wash, so i am expecting a nice light rum.