Re: [new_distillers] Re: Clarity of sugar wash

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
      watertrade2003 wrote:
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Clarity of sugar wash

      Hi Timmur
      As far as I know its very important let the wash settle before distilling - in beer a little yeast in the beer is a good thing but the
      yeast cells are never in an environment above about 25degrees C (give or take) to get an idea how the yeast might effect the taste of spirt take some of the yeast and boil it - I have never done this but I imagine it might give you some idea what the spirt would be like - probably even worse in the spirt since the nasty flavours 'may' be distilled with the ethanol. The nasty flavours come from the yeast cells bursting under high temp - if your in a hurry add finings to the fermented wash and hang on a few days - it should be worth it!
      Cheers

      Jim
      =======================
      Hi Jim,
      I never settle my wash before stripping, and although the resulting strip smells and tastes foul (probably aided as you say by the yeast cells being cooked), the product I get when I distil that afterwards is fine after removing heads and tails.
      Mike N

    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
        The sediment in the wash has no importance if you distill slow and the column is packed nicely. What's important is the start of the main collection. Try to collect first 30% separately and then the last 30% also separately. The middle 40% dont need polishing with carbon if you want to skip this stage.

        timmur64 <timmur64@...> wrote:
        Awhile ago, I asked about making clean vodka from a sugar wash and
        an N/S still (thread was called clean vodka) and I would like to
        pose a similar question now. How important is the clarity of a wash
        to the taste of the final product?  What if the cloudiness is from
        yeast that hasn't settled yet? I've researched this question a bit
        and it seems that opinions vary. I realize that letting the wash
        clear is probably best, but is it necessary? BTW, the still in
        question is a stainless steel 1.875" column, 45" long with
        structured copper packing, and an appropriately sized condenser.
        Assume slow still operation for max seperation. I do not wish to
        polish with carbon.

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Harley Daschund
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
          From my personal experience,clarity of the wash makes little,if any
          difference ....but,I ALWAYS 'strip' first then re-distill for the final
          product.

          >From: "timmur64" <timmur64@...>
          >Subject: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash
          ........... How important is the clarity of a wash
          >to the taste of the final product?

        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003

            Personal experience is what it is all about. Me, well I make sugar wash’s and just pour the whole lot in, less the sediment, no settling or clarifying, distil once at 96% and polish with carbon. Yes, I know I could get a better product if I slowed down the electricity, double distilled and clarified the wash, but as I use town water to dilute my 96% spirit, I need to put the 40% stuff through carbon for this reason as well. So, I go through a little more carbon, at $4 a kilo to treat 100 litres, who cares. When I compare it to fellow distillers that double distil and triple carbon filter, well let’s just say taste becomes a subjective nuance and personal bias takes over.

            Final word is, try the various techniques and find what suits you.

            Yours in Spirit

            Robert

            difference ....but,I ALWAYS 'strip' first then re-distill for the final
            product.

            >From: "timmur64" <timmur64@...>
            >Subject: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash
            ........... How important is the clarity of a wash
            >to the taste of the final product?

          • timmur64
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
              Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
              though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with everyone
              how the run turns out.
            • Campbell Ritchie
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
                I had to do a run last night before the wash had cleared (due to
                upcoming work commitments). I kept it slower than normal -about 15-
                20 ml per minute and it produced the cleanest spirit I've done so
                far. 500ml heads collected in two bottles -the second one was almost
                good enough to use. 1000ml first part of middle cut 95% slight
                smell. 2000ml middle of run at 96% no smell or taste when diluted.
                2100ml end of run 95% slight smell. 800ml tails at 70% av. It did
                take about 3 hours longer than usual but speed aint everything.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "timmur64" <timmur64@y...>
                wrote:
                > Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
                > though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with
                everyone
                > how the run turns out.
              • peter_vcb
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
                  i too dont bother clearing wash for distilling vodka. stripping is
                  cheaper and quicker than finings.

                  BUT what do pot distillers find, who dont do a full separation? i
                  have brewed a demerara sugar wash. 0.75kg to a gallon and a small
                  spoon of black label turbo. it brewed and cleared well in 2 weeks. it
                  tastes very nice just as a wash, so i am expecting a nice light rum.