Clarity of sugar wash

  • timmur64
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2 12:34 PM
      Awhile ago, I asked about making clean vodka from a sugar wash and
      an N/S still (thread was called clean vodka) and I would like to
      pose a similar question now. How important is the clarity of a wash
      to the taste of the final product? What if the cloudiness is from
      yeast that hasn't settled yet? I've researched this question a bit
      and it seems that opinions vary. I realize that letting the wash
      clear is probably best, but is it necessary? BTW, the still in
      question is a stainless steel 1.875" column, 45" long with
      structured copper packing, and an appropriately sized condenser.
      Assume slow still operation for max seperation. I do not wish to
      polish with carbon.
    • watertrade2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2 5:21 PM
        Hi Timmur
        As far as I know its very important let the wash settle before
        distilling - in beer a little yeast in the beer is a good thing but the
        yeast cells are never in an environment above about 25degrees C (give
        or take) to get an idea how the yeast might effect the taste of spirt
        take some of the yeast and boil it - I have never done this but I
        imagine it might give you some idea what the spirt would be like -
        probably even worse in the spirt since the nasty flavours 'may' be
        distilled with the ethanol. The nasty flavours come from the yeast
        cells bursting under high temp - if your in a hurry add finings to the
        fermented wash and hang on a few days - it should be worth it!
        Cheers

        Jim

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "timmur64" <timmur64@y...>
        wrote:
        > Awhile ago, I asked about making clean vodka from a sugar wash and
        > an N/S still (thread was called clean vodka) and I would like to
        > pose a similar question now. How important is the clarity of a wash
        > to the taste of the final product? What if the cloudiness is from
        > yeast that hasn't settled yet? I've researched this question a bit
        > and it seems that opinions vary. I realize that letting the wash
        > clear is probably best, but is it necessary? BTW, the still in
        > question is a stainless steel 1.875" column, 45" long with
        > structured copper packing, and an appropriately sized condenser.
        > Assume slow still operation for max seperation. I do not wish to
        > polish with carbon.
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2 5:48 PM
          watertrade2003 wrote:
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Clarity of sugar wash

          Hi Timmur
          As far as I know its very important let the wash settle before distilling - in beer a little yeast in the beer is a good thing but the
          yeast cells are never in an environment above about 25degrees C (give or take) to get an idea how the yeast might effect the taste of spirt take some of the yeast and boil it - I have never done this but I imagine it might give you some idea what the spirt would be like - probably even worse in the spirt since the nasty flavours 'may' be distilled with the ethanol. The nasty flavours come from the yeast cells bursting under high temp - if your in a hurry add finings to the fermented wash and hang on a few days - it should be worth it!
          Cheers

          Jim
          =======================
          Hi Jim,
          I never settle my wash before stripping, and although the resulting strip smells and tastes foul (probably aided as you say by the yeast cells being cooked), the product I get when I distil that afterwards is fine after removing heads and tails.
          Mike N

        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 8:23 PM
            The sediment in the wash has no importance if you distill slow and the column is packed nicely. What's important is the start of the main collection. Try to collect first 30% separately and then the last 30% also separately. The middle 40% dont need polishing with carbon if you want to skip this stage.

            timmur64 <timmur64@...> wrote:
            Awhile ago, I asked about making clean vodka from a sugar wash and
            an N/S still (thread was called clean vodka) and I would like to
            pose a similar question now. How important is the clarity of a wash
            to the taste of the final product?  What if the cloudiness is from
            yeast that hasn't settled yet? I've researched this question a bit
            and it seems that opinions vary. I realize that letting the wash
            clear is probably best, but is it necessary? BTW, the still in
            question is a stainless steel 1.875" column, 45" long with
            structured copper packing, and an appropriately sized condenser.
            Assume slow still operation for max seperation. I do not wish to
            polish with carbon.

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Harley Daschund
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3 2:50 AM
              From my personal experience,clarity of the wash makes little,if any
              difference ....but,I ALWAYS 'strip' first then re-distill for the final
              product.

              >From: "timmur64" <timmur64@...>
              >Subject: [new_distillers] Clarity of sugar wash
              ........... How important is the clarity of a wash
              >to the taste of the final product?

            • Robert N
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3 3:34 AM

                Personal experience is what it is all about. Me, well I make sugar wash’s and just pour the whole lot in, less the sediment, no settling or clarifying, distil once at 96% and polish with carbon. Yes, I know I could get a better product if I slowed down the electricity, double distilled and clarified the wash, but as I use town water to dilute my 96% spirit, I need to put the 40% stuff through carbon for this reason as well. So, I go through a little more carbon, at $4 a kilo to treat 100 litres, who cares. When I compare it to fellow distillers that double distil and triple carbon filter, well let’s just say taste becomes a subjective nuance and personal bias takes over.

                Final word is, try the various techniques and find what suits you.

                Yours in Spirit

                Robert

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3 4:53 AM
                  Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
                  though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with everyone
                  how the run turns out.
                • Campbell Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5 2:17 AM
                    I had to do a run last night before the wash had cleared (due to
                    upcoming work commitments). I kept it slower than normal -about 15-
                    20 ml per minute and it produced the cleanest spirit I've done so
                    far. 500ml heads collected in two bottles -the second one was almost
                    good enough to use. 1000ml first part of middle cut 95% slight
                    smell. 2000ml middle of run at 96% no smell or taste when diluted.
                    2100ml end of run 95% slight smell. 800ml tails at 70% av. It did
                    take about 3 hours longer than usual but speed aint everything.

                    wrote:
                    > Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to make the run today even
                    > though the wash is only partially cleared. I'll share with
                    everyone
                    > how the run turns out.
                  • peter_vcb
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 5 5:52 AM
                      i too dont bother clearing wash for distilling vodka. stripping is
                      cheaper and quicker than finings.

                      BUT what do pot distillers find, who dont do a full separation? i
                      have brewed a demerara sugar wash. 0.75kg to a gallon and a small
                      spoon of black label turbo. it brewed and cleared well in 2 weeks. it
                      tastes very nice just as a wash, so i am expecting a nice light rum.