My still is done..now the hard part...

  • FirlaTin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
      I finished my still, a beer keg boiler with a 1500w heating element
      in the side, 4 feet of 2" copper for a column and a double reducer
      over-flow style head.
      I did my first run and had a few "problems". I am not sure if the
      problems are because it is a run of just water, and/or are they are
      just a few of the idiosyncrasies of this type of head

      1.My temp seemed low until the steam hit the head, then it shot to
      212F, I expected that to happen. This caused alot of vapor to hit my
      condensor which in turn seemed to flood the bottom of the head. I
      could hear "gurgling" as the reflux was trying to get back through
      the reducers. I was at max reflux. Is the "gurgling " normal?

      2.My product was 160F at the end of collection tube. Is this normal
      for this type of head? I figured that because the output tube is in
      close proxemity of the hot vapors it would be warm, but 160F seemed
      high, or is this because I was using water.

      After it settled down (I drained off the sudden surge) I was able to
      get 250ml in 10 minutes with my collection valve fully open.

      Thanks in advance.
      Jeff
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
        Jeff, you described expected course of action for water. Please run the still as supposed - with some alcohol in the water. I will behave differently. You can get one gallon cheap wine and distill it. You will see what will happen. Good luck and reduce a little the power of the heating element. If you dont want to get into the power controller field -- try a diode of corresponding power handling and the voltage. It will cut the power.

        FirlaTin <firlatin@...> wrote:
[...]

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • FirlaTin
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
          -That is what I was hoping someone would say. I will try it with
          cheap wine.
          Circuitry isn't my my forte, I'm trying to find a cheap motor
          controller to cut down on the heat.
          Thanks again,
          Jeff

          -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
          > Jeff, you described expected course of action for water. Please run
          the still as supposed - with some alcohol in the water. I will behave
          differently. You can get one gallon cheap wine and distill it. You
          will see what will happen. Good luck and reduce a little the power of
          the heating element. If you dont want to get into the power
          controller field -- try a diode of corresponding power handling and
          the voltage. It will cut the power.

          > software
        • nanosleep
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
            You'll be surprised at how much cooler the alcohol output will be as
            compared to water. When distilling water the output is so hot it will
            burn you, but when distilling alcohol the output is comfortably warm.
            This is in the same still with the same heat input. Water takes lots
            of energy to heat it, and requires lots of energy loss before it will
            cool.
            With a packed column, the temperature rise at the head is quite
            sudden. You should be able to feel the 'hot spot' rising through the
            column. You can leave your cooling water flow off until this hot spot
            gets near the top of the column.
            What is the size of the pipe connecting your double reducers? It
            should be on the order of 1 inch. This should give you plenty of area
            to allow the vapors to rise and the liquid to fall without any
            gurgling. I use a single reducer style head with no noticable
            gurgling. I can hear the liquid dripping off the condenser. Sounds
            like running water, but not like bubbling.
            What is the diameter of your column? I run 1500watts with a 2 inch
            column with no problems. Perhaps the gurgling you hear is your column
            flooding. Do you have the packing too tight? Can you easily blow
            through the column?
            When I distill water I run with no reflux and my output valve is fully
            open. In this condition the output rate surges badly. I think this
            is the result of the surface tension of water. It seems like the
            water needs to build up before it will 'break over' and run down the
            output tube. The still will 'spit' out half an ounce at a time. When
            I distill alcohol I run with high reflux and the output valve is only
            slightly open. In this condition there is a pool of alcohol in the
            head which totally covers the output valve opening. There is no
            surface tension effect and there is no surging.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "FirlaTin" <firlatin@y...>
            wrote:
            > I finished my still, a beer keg boiler with a 1500w heating element
            > in the side, 4 feet of 2" copper for a column and a double reducer
            > over-flow style head.
            > I did my first run and had a few "problems". I am not sure if the
            > problems are because it is a run of just water, and/or are they are
            > just a few of the idiosyncrasies of this type of head
            >
            > 1.My temp seemed low until the steam hit the head, then it shot to
            > 212F, I expected that to happen. This caused alot of vapor to hit
            my
            > condensor which in turn seemed to flood the bottom of the head. I
            > could hear "gurgling" as the reflux was trying to get back through
            > the reducers. I was at max reflux. Is the "gurgling " normal?
            >
            > 2.My product was 160F at the end of collection tube. Is this normal
            > for this type of head? I figured that because the output tube is in
            > close proxemity of the hot vapors it would be warm, but 160F seemed
            > high, or is this because I was using water.
            >
            > After it settled down (I drained off the sudden surge) I was able
            > get 250ml in 10 minutes with my collection valve fully open.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            > Jeff
          • Mike Nixon
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
              FirlaTin wrote:
              Subject: [new_distillers] Re: My still is done..now the hard part...

              Circuitry isn't my my forte, I'm trying to find a cheap motor controller to cut down on the heat.
              Thanks again,
              Jeff
              Jeff,
              Motor controllers will burn out if used to control high wattage heater elements.
              What you need to be looking for is a cheap burst fire controller designed for the job.
              Have a look at

              All the best,
              Mike N