Re: Aluminum Cooker

  • cletemeaders
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2 6:32 AM
      I think this is the most valid point of all - cleaning. Building my
      first still. Since it is a hobby,I (like most) use materials most
      accessible. Am very pleased w/my aluminum boiler but make no
      doubt ... it does require more maintenence (cleaning). Especially if
      whatever you use (pressure-cookers, etc) are not new or pitted. My
      most recent was 94%, very clean & sweet-tasting. So it would be hard
      to say I do not have a proficient still regardless of added time
      required in maintenence. However, my next project will start from
      Stainless Steel. since aluminum is softer, common-sense would
      dictate it to be more absorbent. Making a cleaner-run now & then
      with water & alittle vinegar seems to be the ticket for me. I think
      it would be very possible to line the inside of a boiler with copper
      and have it seal-proof (maybe with the help of a coppersmith).Will
      attempt this in coming year. clete

      > > There are a lot of folks on the list happily using aluminum
      pots. I
      > > think that there could be a very fruitful discussion of the
      > > pitfalls, and the best maintenance methods for them.
      >
      > Dont soak it in acidic solutions for longer than necessary, and if
      so, rinse well afterwards.
      > Make sure that you always clean them well to remove any gunge
      adhering to them - the pitting will start forming around/under them.
      > ALWAYS dry the aluminium very well - it will only reform its
      protective surface if clean and dry