mashing

  • raptillicus2
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      Confused about rye. Ive read something about fermenting on the
      grain.Does this mean I boil the rye and add the rye to the wash
    • jkmccull
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19

        I read an article that corn gelatinizes at about 145 to 165 F. I have read several articles that says boil the corn to gelatinize it. I realize that the turbulence created by the boiling may release more starch.

        But couldn't the same thing be accomplished by heating the wort up to say 185 F and letting it sit for a few hours, stirring ever now and then?

        The boiling takes a long time and increases the chances of scorching the corn and ruining the whole batch.

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19
          Your are absolutely correct that heating the wort to 185 for a few hours will properly gelatinize the corn, in fact, that's sort of how I do it. I heat the corn, in the presence of a high-temperature amylase enzyme, to 190F and hold it there for an hour, during which time the corn is both gelatinized and converted to shorter-chain dextrins, which are then easily converted to sugars by the normal malt or malt-like amylase enzymes at 148F.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:40:53 -0700