How do you keep a bright copper still bright? What can I coat it with?

  • Bob Bourne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003
      How do you keep a bright copper still bright?

      I'm cleaning my copper still what can I coat it with to keep it bright?

      Your help is very much appreciated.

      Bob Bourne.
    • Craig Caughlan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
        You want to seal it from oxidation. A nitrocellulose clear
        lacquer will work. Spraying is best but it can be applied with a
        brush with good results. It dries fast. One coat should do it.
        Always do a test patch first. Shellac was more commonly used in
        the past.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Bob Bourne
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
          Thanks Craig.
          > You want to seal it from oxidation. A nitrocellulose clear
          > lacquer will work. Spraying is best but it can be applied with a
          > brush with good results. It dries fast. One coat should do it.
          > Always do a test patch first. Shellac was more commonly used in
          > the past.

        • CornFed (Randy)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
            in the commercial truck world the drivers seal their polished
            aluminum tanks and wheels with a chemical product for windshields
            called Rain X. It seals the pores of the polished metal after
            polishing and then they wax the items afterward.

            ALCOA aluminum company also makes a product specifically developed
            for that application. It comes in a handy spraycan.
            http://www.alcoawheels.com/maint/aluminum/step3/index.asp

            Personally, I polished my setup once to take pictures of it all and
            then wrapped it up with insulation. The heat of normal operation
            will make the copper darken.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
            wrote:
            > How do you keep a bright copper still bright?
            >
            > I'm cleaning my copper still what can I coat it with to keep it
            bright?

            > Your help is very much appreciated.
            >
            > Bob Bourne.
          • Bob Bourne
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
              Thanks Cornfed.
              > in the commercial truck world the drivers seal their polished
              > aluminum tanks and wheels with a chemical product for windshields
              > called Rain X. It seals the pores of the polished metal after
              > polishing and then they wax the items afterward.
              >
              > ALCOA aluminum company also makes a product specifically developed
              > for that application. It comes in a handy spraycan.
              > http://www.alcoawheels.com/maint/aluminum/step3/index.asp
              >
              > Personally, I polished my setup once to take pictures of it all and
              > then wrapped it up with insulation. The heat of normal operation
              > will make the copper darken.
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
              > wrote:
              > > How do you keep a bright copper still bright?
              > >
              > > I'm cleaning my copper still what can I coat it with to keep it
              > bright?
              > >
              > > Your help is very much appreciated.
              > >
              > > Bob Bourne.

            • Shane Kirkman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
                I painted Penatrol on mine. mix a splash of turps in the Penatrol and it will dry like varnish.

                Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                Shane.

                > in the commercial truck world the drivers seal their polished
                > aluminum tanks and wheels with a chemical product for windshields
                > called Rain X.   It seals the pores of the polished metal after
                > polishing and then they wax the items afterward.
                >
                > ALCOA aluminum company also makes a product specifically developed
                > for that application.  It comes in a handy spraycan.
                > http://www.alcoawheels.com/maint/aluminum/step3/index.asp
                >
                > Personally, I polished my setup once to take pictures of it all and
                > then wrapped it up with insulation.  The heat of normal operation
                > will make the copper darken.
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
                > wrote:
                > > How do you keep a bright copper still bright?
                > >
                > > I'm cleaning my copper still what can I coat it with to keep it
                > bright?
                > >
                > > Your help is very much appreciated.
                > >
                > > Bob Bourne.

                Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
                Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM

                ---
              • Bob Bourne

                  > in the commercial truck world the drivers seal their polished
                  > aluminum tanks and wheels with a chemical product for windshields
                  > called Rain X. It seals the pores of the polished metal after
                  > polishing and then they wax the items afterward.
                  >
                  > ALCOA aluminum company also makes a product specifically developed
                  > for that application. It comes in a handy spraycan.
                  > http://www.alcoawheels.com/maint/aluminum/step3/index.asp
                  >
                  > Personally, I polished my setup once to take pictures of it all and
                  > then wrapped it up with insulation. The heat of normal operation
                  > will make the copper darken.
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bourne" <bourne@v...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > How do you keep a bright copper still bright?
                  > >
                  > > I'm cleaning my copper still what can I coat it with to keep it
                  > bright?
                  > >
                  > > Your help is very much appreciated.
                  > >
                  > > Bob Bourne.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/