Re: [new_distillers] clean vodka

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 16, 2003
      Johan wrote:
      Subject: SV: [new_distillers] clean vodka

      Please do not make your judgement on the smell and taste of warm, undiluted spirit ... even pure ethanol smells horrible when heated.  Dilute what you are testing in cold water as this will enhance any truly bad flavors or smells.

      Pure ethanol smells horrible when heated?
      Did you mean that?

      Johan
      =========================
      Yes Johan, I really meant that. The amount of vapour from hot high %abv ethanol can be overwhelming and your sense of smell can be adversely affected through simple overload. It just smells unbearably sharp and acrid no matter how pure it may be.  We all know the 'approved' method of hand warming brandy in a 'snifter' glass releases the bouquet, but I'm not talking about mere hand warmth, or of a fine brandy at just 40%.  Hot, high %abv ethanol quickly numbs your olfactory senses and makes other fainter smells very difficult to detect. The same applies to pouring high proof alcohol over your tongue.   That's fun when followed quickly by a beer chaser, but diluting it first, and sniffing/tasting it when cold, leaves your sense of smell and taste at 'full alert'.  It's not quite the same, but try judging a perfume by sniffing the bottle directly ... then do it again by putting a drop in some filter paper or on your wrist.  Totally different experience.  In fact, one of the methods used in distilleries by their expert 'noses' is to judge when cuts are to be made by smelling a drop of the product after it has been put on a filter paper and waved around a bit to get rid of much of the volatile ethanol.  Amateurs like us find it easier to detect 'off' smells and tastes by simply diluting a sample in cold water.  I personally like to use tonic water, as vodka and tonic is my usual tipple and I know exactly how it should taste and smell.
      Mike N

    • Johan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 17, 2003

        Från: Mike Nixon [mailto:mike@...]

        =========================

[...]

        Okay, I see what you meant. Yes it is hard to smell impurities with undiluted spirits. The smell doesn’t have to be overwhelming, my opinion is that it can smell good, unless you really did your nose into it, then it’s far to strong, but when it is diluted it is easy to smell the impurities. Especially fusel oil, heads is easier to notice in undiluted.

        I let it drip on my hand, let the alcohol evaporate and then smell my hand, if it smells something I know that it isn’t pure.

        But I dilute as well, that’s the best way to know.

        Johan

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 17, 2003
          i consider sniffing hot high proof ethanol as more of a nasty
          sensation than smell, the vapours are condensing on the very
          sensitive membranes on your nose and sting. i believe the alcohol
          then numbs the senses. Mike uses tonic, i prefer 7-up or white
          lemonade, best to mix with what you usually drink, with a delicate
          taste. most important, dont make cuts while pissed! the worst fusels
          may taste great when drunk! i like to let it dry from my finger like
          Johan. i also find the heads feel different when rubbed in your
          fingers.

          Peter

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <mugg@h...> wrote:

          > Från: Mike Nixon [mailto:mike@s...]
          >
          > =========================
          >
          > Yes Johan, I really meant that. The amount of vapour from hot high %
          abv
          > ethanol can be overwhelming and your sense of smell can be adversely
          > affected through simple overload. It just smells unbearably sharp
          and acrid
          > no matter how pure it may be. We all know the 'approved' method of
          hand
          > warming brandy in a 'snifter' glass releases the bouquet, but I'm
          not
          > talking about mere hand warmth, or of a fine brandy at just 40%.
          Hot, high
          > %abv ethanol quickly numbs your olfactory senses and makes other
          fainter
          > smells very difficult to detect. The same applies to pouring high
          proof
          > alcohol over your tongue. That's fun when followed quickly by a
          beer
          > chaser, but diluting it first, and sniffing/tasting it when cold,
          leaves
          > your sense of smell and taste at 'full alert'. It's not quite the
          same, but
          > try judging a perfume by sniffing the bottle directly ... then do
          it again
          > by putting a drop in some filter paper or on your wrist. Totally
          different
          > experience. In fact, one of the methods used in distilleries by
          their
          > expert 'noses' is to judge when cuts are to be made by smelling a
          drop of
          > the product after it has been put on a filter paper and waved
          around a bit
          > to get rid of much of the volatile ethanol. Amateurs like us find
          it easier
          > to detect 'off' smells and tastes by simply diluting a sample in
          cold water.
          > I personally like to use tonic water, as vodka and tonic is my
          usual tipple
          > and I know exactly how it should taste and smell.
          >
          > Mike N
          >

          > Okay, I see what you meant. Yes it is hard to smell impurities with
          > undiluted spirits. The smell doesn't have to be overwhelming, my
          opinion is
          > that it can smell good, unless you really did your nose into it,
          then it's
          > far to strong, but when it is diluted it is easy to smell the
          impurities.
          > Especially fusel oil, heads is easier to notice in undiluted.
          >

          > I let it drip on my hand, let the alcohol evaporate and then smell
          my hand,
          > if it smells something I know that it isn't pure.
          >
          > But I dilute as well, that's the best way to know.
          >

          > Johan
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 17, 2003
            peter_vcb wrote:
            Subject: Re: SV: [new_distillers] clean vodka

            ........... i also find the heads feel different when rubbed in your fingers.
            Whose heads are you rubbing Peter?  :-)

          • Robert N
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 17, 2003

              Mike Nixon Wrote:

              Whose heads are you rubbing Peter:-)

              Razor blades for breakfast Mike? ……..very sharp.-)

              Robert