Re: [new_distillers] Re: heating

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
      If you add a suitable diode in series to your setup you could have one half of those settings.

      nanosleep <nanosleep@...> wrote:
      Temperature control isn't really what you want.  What
      you want is *power* control.  Temperature control will
      inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
      the set temperature.  Power flucuations are exactly
      what you DON'T want.  I use two 1500watt water heater
      elements.  These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
      There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
      but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
      to do this once.  I plug in both elements when
      warming up, but only one when running.  My 2 inch
      packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
      I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
      three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)

      There's not much point in running the column with less
      power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
      The best thing about a power controller is that you can
      make adjustments and find the power limit for your
      setup.  With all the experience of people on this forum
      and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
      you should be able to make a very good guess at the
      power that your column should be able to handle before
      you ever do a run.  You can then find an element or
      combination of elements which is close to but does not
      exceed this limit.

      Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
      controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
      I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
      Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
      fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
      (very desirable)

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders" <spacejug@a...>
      wrote:

      > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is gonna
      > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete
      >

      > > Hi, I have my plans all drawn up for my 1st still, but I still
      > haven't
      > > decided on how to heat my boiler (milk can). I'm not *too*
      worried
      > about
      > > power consumption, but would still like to be more efficient than
      > a hot
      > > plate if I can. Any suggestions?
      > > Also, um..if hypothetically speaking I was to operate this
      > apparatus in
      > > Canada, does anyone know where I might find the regulations in
      the
      > criminal
      > > code?
      > >
      > > Sue

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • cletemeaders
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
        Temperature is exactly what you want. The mechanics of how it gets
        done is what your'-describing. Im a beginner now, take it easy on
        me! clete

        Temperature control isn't really what you want. What
        > you want is *power* control. Temperature control will
        > inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
        > the set temperature. Power flucuations are exactly
        > what you DON'T want. I use two 1500watt water heater
        > elements. These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
        > There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
        > but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
        > to do this once. I plug in both elements when
        > warming up, but only one when running. My 2 inch
        > packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
        > I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
        > three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)
        >
        > There's not much point in running the column with less
        > power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
        > The best thing about a power controller is that you can
        > make adjustments and find the power limit for your
        > setup. With all the experience of people on this forum
        > and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
        > you should be able to make a very good guess at the
        > power that your column should be able to handle before
        > you ever do a run. You can then find an element or
        > combination of elements which is close to but does not
        > exceed this limit.
        >
        > Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
        > controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
        > I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
        > Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
        > fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
        > (very desirable)
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
        <spacejug@a...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is
        gonna
        > > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete
        > >

        > > > Hi, I have my plans all drawn up for my 1st still, but I still
        > > haven't
        > > > decided on how to heat my boiler (milk can). I'm not *too*
        > worried
        > > about
        > > > power consumption, but would still like to be more efficient
        than
        > > a hot
        > > > plate if I can. Any suggestions?
        > > > Also, um..if hypothetically speaking I was to operate this
        > > apparatus in
        > > > Canada, does anyone know where I might find the regulations in
        > the
        > > criminal
        > > > code?
        > > >
        > > > Sue
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

        > I can be wrong I must say
        > Cheers, Alex...

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 10, 2003
          i have an old hob and it at different power settings (1-5) it
          switches to different connections on the one hotplate, therefore
          giving 5 continous power outputs on one plate. Mike Nixon told me
          these are rare and most are now controlled by time switching. if you
          can unscrew your hob you can tell if it has separate elements on the
          one plate since it will have many wires attached. if it is time
          controlled you can sit your boiler in a pot of sand or on a thick
          piece of steel or copper to act as a buffer so it takes time for the
          on/off effect to happen.

          Peter

          wrote:
          > Temperature is exactly what you want. The mechanics of how it gets
          > done is what your'-describing. Im a beginner now, take it easy on
          > me! clete
          >

          > Temperature control isn't really what you want. What
          > > you want is *power* control. Temperature control will
          > > inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
          > > the set temperature. Power flucuations are exactly
          > > what you DON'T want. I use two 1500watt water heater
          > > elements. These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
          > > There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
          > > but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
          > > to do this once. I plug in both elements when
          > > warming up, but only one when running. My 2 inch
          > > packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
          > > I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
          > > three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)
          > >
          > > There's not much point in running the column with less
          > > power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
          > > The best thing about a power controller is that you can
          > > make adjustments and find the power limit for your
          > > setup. With all the experience of people on this forum
          > > and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
          > > you should be able to make a very good guess at the
          > > power that your column should be able to handle before
          > > you ever do a run. You can then find an element or
          > > combination of elements which is close to but does not
          > > exceed this limit.
          > >
          > > Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
          > > controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
          > > I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
          > > Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
          > > fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
          > > (very desirable)
          > >

          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
          > <spacejug@a...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is
          > gonna
          > > > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete

          > > > haven't
          > > worried
          > > > about
          > than
          > > > a hot
          > > > apparatus in
          > > the
          > > > criminal

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Service.
          > >

          > > I can be wrong I must say
          > > Cheers, Alex...

        • harrispaddy
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2006
            i have a big still made entirely out of copper (a 80litre boiler) but i
            don't know how best to heat it, as i don't have a big enough budget for
            a hotplate. Any ideas?
          • ChrisMcFarland69@cs.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 22, 2006
              You could try using a camp chef propane turkey fryer/burner. The hose connecting it to the tank has a valve you can use to adjust the flame. It should have no problem heating your boiler.

              "harrispaddy" <harrispaddy@...> wrote:

              > i have a big still made entirely out of copper (a 80litre boiler) but i
              >don't know how best to heat it, as i don't have a big enough budget for
              >a hotplate. Any ideas?

              >FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org

              > Food and drink Home distilling Culture
              > Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

            • sexgods2000
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 10 7:32 AM
                have been looking at all ideas for heating my boiler. my boiler is a
                50ltr keg. i am wondering if i mount 2x 1500w elements in the boiler
                for quick heat up and unplug one when temp is reached would the
                remaining element maintain the temp required? has any one else used 2
                elements here? im still building my still and looking at all options.
                thanks
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 10 7:52 AM
                  Hi Sexgods,

                  Yes, there are many here who use doubled elements in their boilers on
                  different controllers for bringing up to temp then turning one off or
                  adjusting both for optimal temps during the distillation process.

                  However, one caveat is that if your going to do any grain type
                  distilling, I would watch out for burning those internal elements. Your
                  will have to make sure all your worts / mashes are totally clear of any
                  solids.

                  They a Bi%ch to clean out. Why I use external heat.

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim.
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sexgods2000" <billm_1983@...>
                  wrote:

                  > have been looking at all ideas for heating my boiler. my boiler is a
                  > 50ltr keg. i am wondering if i mount 2x 1500w elements in the boiler
                  > for quick heat up and unplug one when temp is reached would the
                  > remaining element maintain the temp required? has any one else used 2
                  > elements here? im still building my still and looking at all options.
                  > thanks

                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 10 12:06 PM

                    Yes Mate, My 50 litre keg has 2# 1500w elements and works great; as you say both to bring to the boil then one is unplugged

                    Cheers

                    Ken Mc