Re: [new_distillers] Re: heating

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2003
      noobtothis wrote:
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: heating

      Ok...I am in the process of building my unit as well.  I was thinking of using a control from a stove to control the heating
      elements in the keg I am using.  Yes it is stainless.  Not the oven control but the rangetop control.  When you set the eye on the stove to a particular setting, it keeps the eye at the same temp.  Would this not be the way to go guys?

      Any responses appreciated as I am new to this and want to get a good start with minimal problems.
      ===========================
      Be sure that the control you use is the type that provides continuous and smooth adjustment to the power.  Some controls use a bimetallic strip that opens and closes at different rates depending on what you set, and these provide rather rough control as the time between cycles can be quite long.  This is OK for a rangetop which is in air, but you will be controlling power to an immersed element, and that doesn't retain its heat as it is surrounded by liquid.  Slow switching can lead to surge boiling, which upsets what is happening in the column.  The key thing to ask if you are buying such a control is whether it is a thermostatis control or a continuous power control.

      Mike N

    • Harley Daschund
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
        ''...When you set the eye on the stove
        >to a particular setting, it keeps the eye at the same temp."
        Gas,maybe...electric...nope..the element 'cycles'.....temp varies...:>)

      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
          If you add a suitable diode in series to your setup you could have one half of those settings.

          nanosleep <nanosleep@...> wrote:
          Temperature control isn't really what you want.  What
          you want is *power* control.  Temperature control will
          inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
          the set temperature.  Power flucuations are exactly
          what you DON'T want.  I use two 1500watt water heater
          elements.  These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
          There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
          but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
          to do this once.  I plug in both elements when
          warming up, but only one when running.  My 2 inch
          packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
          I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
          three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)

          There's not much point in running the column with less
          power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
          The best thing about a power controller is that you can
          make adjustments and find the power limit for your
          setup.  With all the experience of people on this forum
          and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
          you should be able to make a very good guess at the
          power that your column should be able to handle before
          you ever do a run.  You can then find an element or
          combination of elements which is close to but does not
          exceed this limit.

          Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
          controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
          I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
          Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
          fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
          (very desirable)

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders" <spacejug@a...>
          wrote:

          > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is gonna
          > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete
          >

          > > Hi, I have my plans all drawn up for my 1st still, but I still
          > haven't
          > > decided on how to heat my boiler (milk can). I'm not *too*
          worried
          > about
          > > power consumption, but would still like to be more efficient than
          > a hot
          > > plate if I can. Any suggestions?
          > > Also, um..if hypothetically speaking I was to operate this
          > apparatus in
          > > Canada, does anyone know where I might find the regulations in
          the
          > criminal
          > > code?
          > >
          > > Sue

          I can be wrong I must say
          Cheers, Alex...

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • cletemeaders
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
            Temperature is exactly what you want. The mechanics of how it gets
            done is what your'-describing. Im a beginner now, take it easy on
            me! clete

            Temperature control isn't really what you want. What
            > you want is *power* control. Temperature control will
            > inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
            > the set temperature. Power flucuations are exactly
            > what you DON'T want. I use two 1500watt water heater
            > elements. These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
            > There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
            > but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
            > to do this once. I plug in both elements when
            > warming up, but only one when running. My 2 inch
            > packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
            > I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
            > three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)
            >
            > There's not much point in running the column with less
            > power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
            > The best thing about a power controller is that you can
            > make adjustments and find the power limit for your
            > setup. With all the experience of people on this forum
            > and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
            > you should be able to make a very good guess at the
            > power that your column should be able to handle before
            > you ever do a run. You can then find an element or
            > combination of elements which is close to but does not
            > exceed this limit.
            >
            > Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
            > controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
            > I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
            > Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
            > fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
            > (very desirable)
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
            <spacejug@a...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is
            gonna
            > > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete
            > >

            > > > Hi, I have my plans all drawn up for my 1st still, but I still
            > > haven't
            > > > decided on how to heat my boiler (milk can). I'm not *too*
            > worried
            > > about
            > > > power consumption, but would still like to be more efficient
            than
            > > a hot
            > > > plate if I can. Any suggestions?
            > > > Also, um..if hypothetically speaking I was to operate this
            > > apparatus in
            > > > Canada, does anyone know where I might find the regulations in
            > the
            > > criminal
            > > > code?
            > > >
            > > > Sue
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

            > I can be wrong I must say
            > Cheers, Alex...

          • peter_vcb
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10, 2003
              i have an old hob and it at different power settings (1-5) it
              switches to different connections on the one hotplate, therefore
              giving 5 continous power outputs on one plate. Mike Nixon told me
              these are rare and most are now controlled by time switching. if you
              can unscrew your hob you can tell if it has separate elements on the
              one plate since it will have many wires attached. if it is time
              controlled you can sit your boiler in a pot of sand or on a thick
              piece of steel or copper to act as a buffer so it takes time for the
              on/off effect to happen.

              Peter

              wrote:
              > Temperature is exactly what you want. The mechanics of how it gets
              > done is what your'-describing. Im a beginner now, take it easy on
              > me! clete
              >

              > Temperature control isn't really what you want. What
              > > you want is *power* control. Temperature control will
              > > inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
              > > the set temperature. Power flucuations are exactly
              > > what you DON'T want. I use two 1500watt water heater
              > > elements. These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
              > > There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
              > > but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
              > > to do this once. I plug in both elements when
              > > warming up, but only one when running. My 2 inch
              > > packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
              > > I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
              > > three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)
              > >
              > > There's not much point in running the column with less
              > > power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
              > > The best thing about a power controller is that you can
              > > make adjustments and find the power limit for your
              > > setup. With all the experience of people on this forum
              > > and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
              > > you should be able to make a very good guess at the
              > > power that your column should be able to handle before
              > > you ever do a run. You can then find an element or
              > > combination of elements which is close to but does not
              > > exceed this limit.
              > >
              > > Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
              > > controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
              > > I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
              > > Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
              > > fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
              > > (very desirable)
              > >

              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
              > <spacejug@a...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is
              > gonna
              > > > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete

              > > > haven't
              > > worried
              > > > about
              > than
              > > > a hot
              > > > apparatus in
              > > the
              > > > criminal

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > Service.
              > >

              > > I can be wrong I must say
              > > Cheers, Alex...

            • harrispaddy
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 22, 2006
                i have a big still made entirely out of copper (a 80litre boiler) but i
                don't know how best to heat it, as i don't have a big enough budget for
                a hotplate. Any ideas?
              • ChrisMcFarland69@cs.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2006
                  You could try using a camp chef propane turkey fryer/burner. The hose connecting it to the tank has a valve you can use to adjust the flame. It should have no problem heating your boiler.

                  "harrispaddy" <harrispaddy@...> wrote:

                  > i have a big still made entirely out of copper (a 80litre boiler) but i
                  >don't know how best to heat it, as i don't have a big enough budget for
                  >a hotplate. Any ideas?

                  >FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org

                  > Food and drink Home distilling Culture
                  > Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                • sexgods2000
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 10, 2008
                    have been looking at all ideas for heating my boiler. my boiler is a
                    50ltr keg. i am wondering if i mount 2x 1500w elements in the boiler
                    for quick heat up and unplug one when temp is reached would the
                    remaining element maintain the temp required? has any one else used 2
                    elements here? im still building my still and looking at all options.
                    thanks
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 10, 2008
                      Hi Sexgods,

                      Yes, there are many here who use doubled elements in their boilers on
                      different controllers for bringing up to temp then turning one off or
                      adjusting both for optimal temps during the distillation process.

                      However, one caveat is that if your going to do any grain type
                      distilling, I would watch out for burning those internal elements. Your
                      will have to make sure all your worts / mashes are totally clear of any
                      solids.

                      They a Bi%ch to clean out. Why I use external heat.

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim.
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sexgods2000" <billm_1983@...>
                      wrote:

                      > have been looking at all ideas for heating my boiler. my boiler is a
                      > 50ltr keg. i am wondering if i mount 2x 1500w elements in the boiler
                      > for quick heat up and unplug one when temp is reached would the
                      > remaining element maintain the temp required? has any one else used 2
                      > elements here? im still building my still and looking at all options.
                      > thanks

                    • KM Services
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 10, 2008

                        Yes Mate, My 50 litre keg has 2# 1500w elements and works great; as you say both to bring to the boil then one is unplugged

                        Cheers

                        Ken Mc