Re: heating

  • noobtothis
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2003
      Ok...I am in the process of building my unit as well. I was
      thinking of using a control from a stove to control the heating
      elements in the keg I am using. Yes it is stainless. Not the oven
      control but the rangetop control. When you set the eye on the stove
      to a particular setting, it keeps the eye at the same temp. Would
      this not be the way to go guys?

      Any responses appreciated as I am new to this and want to get a good
      start with minimal problems.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep" <nanosleep@y...>
      wrote:
      > I assume your milk can is made of stainless steel. If you
      > want to use the internal 'water heater' style elements,
      > you may have trouble attaching these to the stainless boiler.
      > My boiler is a stainless steel stock pot. The method I used
      > to attach the elements is to braze a threaded brass fitting
      > onto the side of the pot. Brazing isn't difficult to do,
      > (However it is difficult to do it pretty. My boiler works
      > perfectly but is rather ugly) If you want more info, just ask!
      > The water heater element then screw into this brass fitting.
      > This is great for cleaning or replacing burned out elements.
      > The cheap elements are less than $10US. Be sure to properly
      > ground the boiler! Again, just ask if you need more info.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Hogle, Susan" <hogles@a...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi, I have my plans all drawn up for my 1st still, but I still
      > haven't
      > > decided on how to heat my boiler (milk can). I'm not *too*
      worried
      > about
      > > power consumption, but would still like to be more efficient
      than a
      > hot
      > > plate if I can. Any suggestions?
      > > Also, um..if hypothetically speaking I was to operate this
      apparatus
      > in
      > > Canada, does anyone know where I might find the regulations in
      the
      > criminal
      > > code?
      > >
      > > Sue
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2003
        noobtothis wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] Re: heating

        Ok...I am in the process of building my unit as well.  I was thinking of using a control from a stove to control the heating
        elements in the keg I am using.  Yes it is stainless.  Not the oven control but the rangetop control.  When you set the eye on the stove to a particular setting, it keeps the eye at the same temp.  Would this not be the way to go guys?

        Any responses appreciated as I am new to this and want to get a good start with minimal problems.
        ===========================
        Be sure that the control you use is the type that provides continuous and smooth adjustment to the power.  Some controls use a bimetallic strip that opens and closes at different rates depending on what you set, and these provide rather rough control as the time between cycles can be quite long.  This is OK for a rangetop which is in air, but you will be controlling power to an immersed element, and that doesn't retain its heat as it is surrounded by liquid.  Slow switching can lead to surge boiling, which upsets what is happening in the column.  The key thing to ask if you are buying such a control is whether it is a thermostatis control or a continuous power control.

        Mike N

      • Harley Daschund
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
          ''...When you set the eye on the stove
          >to a particular setting, it keeps the eye at the same temp."
          Gas,maybe...electric...nope..the element 'cycles'.....temp varies...:>)

        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
            If you add a suitable diode in series to your setup you could have one half of those settings.

            nanosleep <nanosleep@...> wrote:
            Temperature control isn't really what you want.  What
            you want is *power* control.  Temperature control will
            inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
            the set temperature.  Power flucuations are exactly
            what you DON'T want.  I use two 1500watt water heater
            elements.  These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
            There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
            but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
            to do this once.  I plug in both elements when
            warming up, but only one when running.  My 2 inch
            packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
            I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
            three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)

            There's not much point in running the column with less
            power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
            The best thing about a power controller is that you can
            make adjustments and find the power limit for your
            setup.  With all the experience of people on this forum
            and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
            you should be able to make a very good guess at the
            power that your column should be able to handle before
            you ever do a run.  You can then find an element or
            combination of elements which is close to but does not
            exceed this limit.

            Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
            controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
            I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
            Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
            fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
            (very desirable)

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders" <spacejug@a...>
            wrote:

            > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is gonna
            > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete
            >

            > > Hi, I have my plans all drawn up for my 1st still, but I still
            > haven't
            > > decided on how to heat my boiler (milk can). I'm not *too*
            worried
            > about
            > > power consumption, but would still like to be more efficient than
            > a hot
            > > plate if I can. Any suggestions?
            > > Also, um..if hypothetically speaking I was to operate this
            > apparatus in
            > > Canada, does anyone know where I might find the regulations in
            the
            > criminal
            > > code?
            > >
            > > Sue

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • cletemeaders
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 9, 2003
              Temperature is exactly what you want. The mechanics of how it gets
              done is what your'-describing. Im a beginner now, take it easy on
              me! clete

              Temperature control isn't really what you want. What
              > you want is *power* control. Temperature control will
              > inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
              > the set temperature. Power flucuations are exactly
              > what you DON'T want. I use two 1500watt water heater
              > elements. These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
              > There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
              > but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
              > to do this once. I plug in both elements when
              > warming up, but only one when running. My 2 inch
              > packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
              > I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
              > three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)
              >
              > There's not much point in running the column with less
              > power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
              > The best thing about a power controller is that you can
              > make adjustments and find the power limit for your
              > setup. With all the experience of people on this forum
              > and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
              > you should be able to make a very good guess at the
              > power that your column should be able to handle before
              > you ever do a run. You can then find an element or
              > combination of elements which is close to but does not
              > exceed this limit.
              >
              > Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
              > controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
              > I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
              > Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
              > fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
              > (very desirable)
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
              <spacejug@a...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is
              gonna
              > > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete
              > >

              > > > Hi, I have my plans all drawn up for my 1st still, but I still
              > > haven't
              > > > decided on how to heat my boiler (milk can). I'm not *too*
              > worried
              > > about
              > > > power consumption, but would still like to be more efficient
              than
              > > a hot
              > > > plate if I can. Any suggestions?
              > > > Also, um..if hypothetically speaking I was to operate this
              > > apparatus in
              > > > Canada, does anyone know where I might find the regulations in
              > the
              > > criminal
              > > > code?
              > > >
              > > > Sue
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.

              > I can be wrong I must say
              > Cheers, Alex...

            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10, 2003
                i have an old hob and it at different power settings (1-5) it
                switches to different connections on the one hotplate, therefore
                giving 5 continous power outputs on one plate. Mike Nixon told me
                these are rare and most are now controlled by time switching. if you
                can unscrew your hob you can tell if it has separate elements on the
                one plate since it will have many wires attached. if it is time
                controlled you can sit your boiler in a pot of sand or on a thick
                piece of steel or copper to act as a buffer so it takes time for the
                on/off effect to happen.

                Peter

                wrote:
                > Temperature is exactly what you want. The mechanics of how it gets
                > done is what your'-describing. Im a beginner now, take it easy on
                > me! clete
                >

                > Temperature control isn't really what you want. What
                > > you want is *power* control. Temperature control will
                > > inherently be varying the power as needed to maintain
                > > the set temperature. Power flucuations are exactly
                > > what you DON'T want. I use two 1500watt water heater
                > > elements. These are cheap and waste minimal heat.
                > > There's the pain of mounting these in your boiler,
                > > but if you use a proper screw fitting you only have
                > > to do this once. I plug in both elements when
                > > warming up, but only one when running. My 2 inch
                > > packed column can handle 1500watts with no problems.
                > > I have a power controller, unfortunately it has only
                > > three settings: 0, 1500, and 3000 watts. :)
                > >
                > > There's not much point in running the column with less
                > > power than it can handle (takes too long to do a run).
                > > The best thing about a power controller is that you can
                > > make adjustments and find the power limit for your
                > > setup. With all the experience of people on this forum
                > > and the wonderful information on homedistiller.org
                > > you should be able to make a very good guess at the
                > > power that your column should be able to handle before
                > > you ever do a run. You can then find an element or
                > > combination of elements which is close to but does not
                > > exceed this limit.
                > >
                > > Before I get a talked down to by those who run temperature
                > > controllers, I'm not claiming that they can't work.
                > > I'm just claiming there are pitfalls to avoid with them.
                > > Controllers which cycle the element on/off at a fairly
                > > fast rate are effectivly operating as a power controller.
                > > (very desirable)
                > >

                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
                > <spacejug@a...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > With any still other than a pot-still, temperature-control is
                > gonna
                > > > be very important. A hot-plate is the way to go. clete

                > > > haven't
                > > worried
                > > > about
                > than
                > > > a hot
                > > > apparatus in
                > > the
                > > > criminal

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Service.
                > >

                > > I can be wrong I must say
                > > Cheers, Alex...

              • harrispaddy
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2006
                  i have a big still made entirely out of copper (a 80litre boiler) but i
                  don't know how best to heat it, as i don't have a big enough budget for
                  a hotplate. Any ideas?
                • ChrisMcFarland69@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 22, 2006
                    You could try using a camp chef propane turkey fryer/burner. The hose connecting it to the tank has a valve you can use to adjust the flame. It should have no problem heating your boiler.

                    "harrispaddy" <harrispaddy@...> wrote:

                    > i have a big still made entirely out of copper (a 80litre boiler) but i
                    >don't know how best to heat it, as i don't have a big enough budget for
                    >a hotplate. Any ideas?

                    >FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org

                    > Food and drink Home distilling Culture
                    > Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                  • sexgods2000
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 10, 2008
                      have been looking at all ideas for heating my boiler. my boiler is a
                      50ltr keg. i am wondering if i mount 2x 1500w elements in the boiler
                      for quick heat up and unplug one when temp is reached would the
                      remaining element maintain the temp required? has any one else used 2
                      elements here? im still building my still and looking at all options.
                      thanks
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 10, 2008
                        Hi Sexgods,

                        Yes, there are many here who use doubled elements in their boilers on
                        different controllers for bringing up to temp then turning one off or
                        adjusting both for optimal temps during the distillation process.

                        However, one caveat is that if your going to do any grain type
                        distilling, I would watch out for burning those internal elements. Your
                        will have to make sure all your worts / mashes are totally clear of any
                        solids.

                        They a Bi%ch to clean out. Why I use external heat.

                        Vino es Veritas,

                        Jim.
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sexgods2000" <billm_1983@...>
                        wrote:

                        > have been looking at all ideas for heating my boiler. my boiler is a
                        > 50ltr keg. i am wondering if i mount 2x 1500w elements in the boiler
                        > for quick heat up and unplug one when temp is reached would the
                        > remaining element maintain the temp required? has any one else used 2
                        > elements here? im still building my still and looking at all options.
                        > thanks

                      • KM Services
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 10, 2008

                          Yes Mate, My 50 litre keg has 2# 1500w elements and works great; as you say both to bring to the boil then one is unplugged

                          Cheers

                          Ken Mc