Cooling Coil

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2003
      I got a private question how to wind a coil and I thought that many people would like to know :

      ...(snip) the problem might be the diameter of the copper pipe. My coil is � " outside diameter, not the inside diameter. If you find it difficult to turn the coil - try using 0.375" dia copper line for brakes in cars. There is no need for large coil in the condenser (if you distill slowly). If you find it difficult -- try udsing "cold finger" or use "moonshine unit" shown here:

      The moonshine unit will tend to overturn the column though...  :-(  The cold finger is a piece of a thinner pipe fit inside the condenser and running cold water from top to bottom - that is all. If you distill slowly it is more than enough. When I distill, the cooling water not running but in contrary just almost dripping (slow) from the discharge tube. The output is a drop per second (approx 300 mL/hour). So, cold finger will provide all cooling you need. Again, just do it. And you are right I wound the coil myself on a piece of a broom handle. Slowly I held the pipe in one hand holding it with a piece of sand paper so it does not slip. Then I pulled the free end toward myself rotating the broom handle slowly. The trick is to keep pulling the tube so the walls would not collapse and do it sloooowly. Sand paper does help. The technique was similar when you roll up a piece of paper in a tight tube. The broom handle was horizontally laid on two pieces of something sturdy to hold it... In my case there was a kitchen sink on the left and the gas stove on the right if you look closely on the pictures you can see the arrangement... :-) Again and again -- just do it.

      P.S. The other end of cooling coil does not have to go back if you manage to cut it through the wall of the condenser it will be just fine.

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Jane Doe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2006
        A Shameless Plug:

        For the Beginner or Advanced, please contact Bokakob@... for the
        coil. This will save you the frustration of trying it on your own,
        unsuccessfully AND the cash outlay for the 1/4" soft tubing. BTW, it
        comes directly to your door.
      • Campbell Ritchie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Doe" <laffingrrl@y...>
          wrote:

          > A Shameless Plug:
          >
          > For the Beginner or Advanced, please contact Bokakob@y... for the
          > coil. This will save you the frustration of trying it on your
          own,
          > unsuccessfully AND the cash outlay for the 1/4" soft tubing. BTW,
          it
          > comes directly to your door.

          Or $15 worth of 6mm tubing from your hearest plumbing supplier - I
          use Tradelink. Took me no more than half an hour using two hands and
          a broom handle.

          I was going to say like sex, it's better when you do it yourself.

          NO!

          What I meant you honour was like sex, your juice tastes better when
          you use your own hands.

          Ahem, too much time on my hands and too much on my mind here at work
          tonight.

          Going home for a nightcap soon.

          Campbell