sugar and turbo

  • vector180
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 10:19 PM
      Hi all
      I recently posted i was using dextrose which was questioned by some of
      you.My general reply was im new and thats what i was told to do. I just
      set too batches in motion. one was 2/3dex 1/3 sugar and one is just
      sugar(that happend to be how much dex i had left)
      as far as making the washs it wasnt that much a hassle to dissolve the
      sugar and let it cool. the wash was crystal clear no lumps or "grain"
      and 20degc when I added the turbo.
      after watching these I can pretty much confirm that indeed the sugar
      took longer to get going(bubbling) they both are in the same cabinet
      both read similar temps ( i admit the dex was closer to the heater buy a
      tad)
      now after reading some web stuff
      summary:
      sugar is cheaper but as its more complex is slower
      may give a sweeter alchol.
      simpler sugars(dex) produce higher(slight) alcohol%

      now we can invert the sugar
      ~~~
      Put 8 lb of sugar in a sauce pan with 2 pt water and 1/2 oz citric acid.
      Bring slowly to the boil, stiring frequently and boil for 30 mins. Stir
      in another 2 pt boiling water and allow to cool.

      This can now be stored in jars. When using allow 1¼ pints in place of
      each lb of household sugar. Remember that each 4 pints will already
      contain ¼ oz of citric acid.
      ~~~
      does this citric acid cause any hassle with turbo wash. ie what if i did
      all the sugar boiling in my boiler/distiller and let it cool then dump
      it straight in to the fermenter add turbo and close it up?

      hotdamn this is good fun:)