Oaking of alcohol

  • Campbell Ritchie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2003
      Just a quick question about oaking. My local supplier on his recipe
      sheet had one for oaking alcohol (soaking staves and some chips for
      a couple of weeks and adding some of this into whatever you are
      making up). My question is, how long would the oak be effective? If
      I keep topping up the alcohol in the jar, will the oak last or would
      I have to keep adding new oak every so often.

      Campbell- still finding his feet in this hobby while simultaneously
      losing them. Damn that tasty product!!
    • Harley Daschund
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2003
        Re-using the Oak is similar to re-using coffee,tea etc....it only contains a
        limited amount of 'whatever'...when its depleted,you need to replace...:>)

        >From: "Campbell Ritchie" <ritchiec@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] Oaking of alcohol
        >Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:14:12 -0000
        >
        >Just a quick question about oaking. My local supplier on his recipe
        >sheet had one for oaking alcohol (soaking staves and some chips for
        >a couple of weeks and adding some of this into whatever you are
        >making up). My question is, how long would the oak be effective? If
        >I keep topping up the alcohol in the jar, will the oak last or would
        >I have to keep adding new oak every so often.
        >
        >Campbell- still finding his feet in this hobby while simultaneously
        >losing them. Damn that tasty product!!

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
          Oak barrels for wine are only kept for several years if oak flavor
          required. Then only useful as containers or garden tubs. Bourbon oak
          barrels are only used ONCE - then sold to Scottish whisky and rum
          distillers.
          Wal
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"