Hello All

  • Alexander-James Corbin Rauwsen III
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
      Ewwwhewww,
      shor am glad fer this entrnet thang thinkn bout firin up grannys old
      teaketle and cookin up a batch of corn squezins. Hop thos revnew
      fellers dont com round mite hav to show em the busnis end of an old
      doubl barl than aint laoded wif sofa pillers.

      OK not really but I just had to do that. Ive had an interest ing this
      for quite a number of years. Starting with an old pot that I built out
      of a crock pot and some copper pipe when I was about 12. Working from
      an old recipie I found in a book it yeilded an unknown ammount of
      rather rancid smelling stuff that needless to say wasnt consumed in
      any quanity in part because of the stories of improper process
      resulting in all kinds of undesirable effects. Well 16 years later Im
      ready to give it another try. Have been passivly gathering interesting
      items for the last couple of years in my pilferings (I do alot of
      scrap recycling as a side business) and a recent visit to the sooner
      state and seeing a friends setup which I had no idea he had BTW. Im
      ready to take these liberated parts and see what I can make them do.
      For a boiler Ive secured an 8 gallon (sorry imperial for me) SS soda
      carbonator tank has many access holes and various other fittings
      making it well suited for the job.(these things normally run with ~100
      PSI of water and gas pressure) Various sizes of heating elements and a
      fairly fancy heating controler designed for use with solar water
      heaters. Other materials will be purchased new tubing fitings ect...
      The plan is for a reflux type there is a 2" opening on the top of the
      tank with a tapped mounting flange perfect for mountingthe colum to.
      Thats the plan so far will try to update as it progresses (slowly some
      times) and hopefully the feds dont come knocking before I have a
      chance to enjoy the fruit of my labor. Anyone know of any recent acts
      of enforcement on individuals for personal use?
      Thanks for the info I garnered so far,
      AJ
    • Phil
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
        Hi everybody, I just got hold of a 25L Super Reflux still. Have never distilled before (although
        I have done a bit of homebrewing in the past) so am very excited and keen to get into it.

        I'm sure I will be pestering you all with silly newbie questions so here is my apology in
        advance!

        Regards, Phil
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2006
          welcome to the world of ilicit distilling Phil!
          first caveat: don't let the buggers get you down. We are normally
          pretty helpful.
          second: there is a link to homedistillers.org at the bottom of posts.
          Please read it first. So many questions that seem really misterious to
          people new to distilling are answered there. (after a while it annoys
          even the most genial group member to have to answer a question for the
          millionth time in a week).
          third: it's supposed to be fun!

          (most of these comments are addressed to everyone - including me - as a
          reminder).

          cheers
          Rob.

          --- Phil <dyer@...> wrote:

          > Hi everybody, I just got hold of a 25L Super Reflux still. Have never
          > distilled before (although
          > I have done a bit of homebrewing in the past) so am very excited and
          > keen to get into it.
          >
          > I'm sure I will be pestering you all with silly newbie questions so
          > here is my apology in
          > advance!
          >
          > Regards, Phil

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • i_brew_spirits
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2006
            You'll love it, I've only done 6 batches and with everyone you learn
            more...all up it is very easy.....

            Good luck

            One more thing... don't taste test too much, I was very pissed on
            first batch and broke my thermomotor. DohÂ….