My first proper run, and a temp question.

  • Campbell Ritchie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
      I just finished my first proper run. First run was a bit of an eye
      opener with leaks and control problems due to lack of time but this
      one went by the book, sort of. I built a single reducer reflux as by
      BOKAKOB's excellent design - thanks mate! 1.2metre 2" copper column
      quite heavily stuffed with ss scrubbers (but I can blow thru it ok)
      on 25l still spirits boiler. 25l 20% wash using Turbo 24 hour yeast.
      Head temp got to 77.4, rose briefly to 78.1 then settled back to
      77.4 under full reflux. It stayed at 77.4 while I drew off 375ml
      foreshots,(slowly in spurts) 500ml heads(at about 10 ml/min) and
      2275ml middle run 95%(between 15 20 ml/min). It was only then that
      the temp rose to 78.1 where I got it to stay for the next 1000ml
      av 90% by increasing reflux. It then rose steadily while I collected
      the tails.
      First question. why so much acetone smelling foreshot? For my first
      wash I used a standart turbo. it took 2 weeks from go to woah. Did
      the shorter fermentation this time cause more ethyl acetate to be
      formed?

      Question 2. why the low temp readings? I'm using an electronic
      thermometer on a 6" probe (I've checked it against boiling water.
      it's OK)The instructions with it say to insert al least 1/3 of probe
      when using it. Do you think only having 1" in the column would
      affect the reading?
      Anyway, whatever was happening temp wise, the juice is good!!!

      Campbell
    • Harley Daschund
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
        Not inserting the probe to recomended dept will definately result in a lower
        temp reading...seen it many times........:>)

        >From: "Campbell Ritchie" <ritchiec@...>
        >it's OK)The instructions with it say to insert al least 1/3 of probe
        >when using it. Do you think only having 1" in the column would
        >affect the reading?
        >Anyway, whatever was happening temp wise, the juice is good!!!
        >
        >Campbell

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
          you could boil just water and adjust the position of the probe until
          it reads 100C. then fix the probe in this position. as for foreshots-
          did you leave the column to stabilise for an hour in full reflux?
          this is necessary to give the foreshots time to get to the top. i
          know Alex collects a large % of his distillate as heads i think 30%
          overall. how did you determine that you finished foreshots and were
          collecting heads? while at 77.4C i would call it heads. i personally
          dont toss foreshots anymore i just collect it all as heads and
          redistill. high ferment temps lead to ethyl acetate, stay about 20C.
          how much power are you running the 1" column at? it should be about
          500-750W

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Campbell Ritchie"
          <ritchiec@t...> wrote:
          > I just finished my first proper run. First run was a bit of an eye
          > opener with leaks and control problems due to lack of time but this
          > one went by the book, sort of. I built a single reducer reflux as
          by
          > BOKAKOB's excellent design - thanks mate! 1.2metre 2" copper column
          > quite heavily stuffed with ss scrubbers (but I can blow thru it ok)
          > on 25l still spirits boiler. 25l 20% wash using Turbo 24 hour yeast.
          > Head temp got to 77.4, rose briefly to 78.1 then settled back to
          > 77.4 under full reflux. It stayed at 77.4 while I drew off 375ml
          > foreshots,(slowly in spurts) 500ml heads(at about 10 ml/min) and
          > 2275ml middle run 95%(between 15 20 ml/min). It was only then that
          > the temp rose to 78.1 where I got it to stay for the next 1000ml
          > av 90% by increasing reflux. It then rose steadily while I
          collected
          > the tails.
          > First question. why so much acetone smelling foreshot? For my first
          > wash I used a standart turbo. it took 2 weeks from go to woah. Did
          > the shorter fermentation this time cause more ethyl acetate to be
          > formed?
          >
          > Question 2. why the low temp readings? I'm using an electronic
          > thermometer on a 6" probe (I've checked it against boiling water.
          > it's OK)The instructions with it say to insert al least 1/3 of
          probe
          > when using it. Do you think only having 1" in the column would
          > affect the reading?
          > Anyway, whatever was happening temp wise, the juice is good!!!
          >
          > Campbell
        • Campbell Ritchie
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
            <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
            > you could boil just water and adjust the position of the probe
            until
            > it reads 100C. then fix the probe in this position. as for
            foreshots-
            > did you leave the column to stabilise for an hour in full reflux?
            > this is necessary to give the foreshots time to get to the top. i
            > know Alex collects a large % of his distillate as heads i think
            30%
            > overall. how did you determine that you finished foreshots and
            were
            > collecting heads? while at 77.4C i would call it heads. i
            personally
            > dont toss foreshots anymore i just collect it all as heads and
            > redistill. high ferment temps lead to ethyl acetate, stay about
            20C.
            > how much power are you running the 1" column at? it should be
            about
            > 500-750W

            The probe won't go in any further. The depth is limited by the
            reducer in the centre of the column at that point. As for the
            foreshots, after the first 175cc or so, i took a sample in a shot
            glass every 50cc and by comparing them I chose when to start calling
            it heads. I'm using the foreshots for lighting my BBQ so they don't
            get wasted. I'll try another slow ferment next time and see if
            there's less acetone. I have a 1300w element into my 2" column which
            seems to run ok but I'm thinking of being able to switch in a diode
            once it gets up to temp (don't worry, all you electrical nazis out
            there. I am qualified :)~
          • avisorropos
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Campbell Ritchie"
              <ritchiec@t...> wrote:

              ur going to switch in a diode please explain.

              > > it reads 100C. then fix the probe in this position. as for
              > foreshots-
              > > did you leave the column to stabilise for an hour in full
              reflux?
              > > this is necessary to give the foreshots time to get to the top.
              > > know Alex collects a large % of his distillate as heads i think
              > 30%
              > > overall. how did you determine that you finished foreshots and
              > were
              > > collecting heads? while at 77.4C i would call it heads. i
              > personally
              > > dont toss foreshots anymore i just collect it all as heads and
              > > redistill. high ferment temps lead to ethyl acetate, stay about
              > 20C.
              > > how much power are you running the 1" column at? it should be
              > about
              > > 500-750W
              > >
              > The probe won't go in any further. The depth is limited by the
              > reducer in the centre of the column at that point. As for the
              > foreshots, after the first 175cc or so, i took a sample in a shot
              > glass every 50cc and by comparing them I chose when to start
              calling
              > it heads. I'm using the foreshots for lighting my BBQ so they
              don't
              > get wasted. I'll try another slow ferment next time and see if
              > there's less acetone. I have a 1300w element into my 2" column
              which
              > seems to run ok but I'm thinking of being able to switch in a
              diode
              > once it gets up to temp (don't worry, all you electrical nazis out
              > there. I am qualified :)~
            • BOKAKOB
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
                If you run your heat element in series with an appropriate diode (voltage + power) then you hald you sine wave current input.

                <ritchiec@t...> wrote:

                ur going to switch in a diode  please explain.

                > > it reads 100C. then fix the probe in this position. as for
                > foreshots-
                > > did you leave the column to stabilise for an hour in full
                reflux?
                > > this is necessary to give the foreshots time to get to the top.
                > > know Alex collects a large % of his distillate as heads i think
                > 30%
                > > overall. how did you determine that you finished foreshots and
                > were
                > > collecting heads? while at 77.4C i would call it heads. i
                > personally
                > > dont toss foreshots anymore i just collect it all as heads and
                > > redistill. high ferment temps lead to ethyl acetate, stay about
                > 20C.
                > > how much power are you running the 1" column at? it should be
                > about
                > > 500-750W
                > >
                > The probe won't go in any further. The depth is limited by the
                > reducer in the centre of the column at that point. As for the
                > foreshots, after the first 175cc or so, i took a sample in a shot
                > glass every 50cc and by comparing them I chose when to start
                calling
                > it heads. I'm using the foreshots for lighting my BBQ so they
                don't
                > get wasted. I'll try another slow ferment next time and see if
                > there's less acetone. I have a 1300w element into my 2" column
                which
                > seems to run ok but I'm thinking of being able to switch in a
                diode
                > once it gets up to temp (don't worry, all you electrical nazis out
                > there. I am qualified :)~

                I can be wrong I must say
                Cheers, Alex...

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • avisorropos
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
                  BOKAKOB these elements run ok on pulsating DC?
                  if u have a 1500w element and u put in the diode
                  is it about half?

                  If you run your heat element in series with an appropriate diode
                  (voltage + power) then you hald you sine wave current input.

                  > avisorropos <avisorropos@n...> wrote:--- In
                  new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Campbell Ritchie"
                  > <ritchiec@t...> wrote:
                  >

                  > ur going to switch in a diode please explain.
                  >

                  > > > it reads 100C. then fix the probe in this position. as for
                  > > foreshots-
                  > > > did you leave the column to stabilise for an hour in full
                  > reflux?
                  > > > this is necessary to give the foreshots time to get to the
                  top.
                  > > > know Alex collects a large % of his distillate as heads i
                  think
                  > > 30%
                  > > > overall. how did you determine that you finished foreshots and
                  > > were
                  > > > collecting heads? while at 77.4C i would call it heads. i
                  > > personally
                  > > > dont toss foreshots anymore i just collect it all as heads and
                  > > > redistill. high ferment temps lead to ethyl acetate, stay
                  about
                  > > 20C.
                  > > > how much power are you running the 1" column at? it should be
                  > > about
                  > > > 500-750W
                  > > >
                  > > The probe won't go in any further. The depth is limited by the
                  > > reducer in the centre of the column at that point. As for the
                  > > foreshots, after the first 175cc or so, i took a sample in a
                  shot
                  > > glass every 50cc and by comparing them I chose when to start
                  > calling
                  > > it heads. I'm using the foreshots for lighting my BBQ so they
                  > don't
                  > > get wasted. I'll try another slow ferment next time and see if
                  > > there's less acetone. I have a 1300w element into my 2" column
                  > which
                  > > seems to run ok but I'm thinking of being able to switch in a
                  > diode
                  > > once it gets up to temp (don't worry, all you electrical nazis
                  out
                  > > there. I am qualified :)~
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                  > I can be wrong I must say
                  > Cheers, Alex...

                • BOKAKOB
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
                    I dont know about heating elements because I simmer my brew on the gas burner, but incandencent laps, what are somewhat similar in nature to heating elements, go dim and barely pulsating to the naked eye. The light output also is less. So it may work. It also reduces the usuful life of a bulb. I am not that sure in circuit design. I just remember it from my school days. I am sure about a diode -- it will cut one half of the sine wave and it should resemble those fancy zero switching things. In this case you would not have infinite variation, but at least you could half whatever combination of heating elements you can think of. Maybe somone with more experience could help you. In the end there is always $5.00 tea cup immersion heater to experiment with. I wish I could build an electric boiler myself. Good luck and if it is so good let others know...

                    I can be wrong I must say
                    Cheers, Alex...

                    Do you Yahoo!?