Re: column height

  • nanosleep
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 23, 2003
      My column head is almost 8 feet from the floor. I use
      a dial type thermometer which is easily read. However
      it ends up that the thermometer readings don't mean much.
      After the still warms up the thermometer parks on 170F.
      I can detect the end of the run by smell before the
      temperature moves much at all. I would highly recommend
      a taller column. My column isn't taller because I'd have
      to cut a hole in the ceiling!!!! What might be easy
      for you is to use one of those rotary pipe cutters and
      cut your column in half. Then solder in a pair of threaded
      fittings. You can then screw your column together and use
      it at it's present length, or insert a longer column piece
      which also has threaded fittings on the ends.
      Use threaded-to-sweat fittings instead of a union. It's about
      1/4th the price

      -A

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders" <spacejug@a...>