Re: [new_distillers] Re: just wonderin

  • Brandon Lee
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2003
      hey guys-- was wondering if anyone could give me some insite on how to make blended whiskey--my dad  loves it and i wanted to surprise him on his birthday-- any help would be appreciated
      your brother in the spirits
      Blueflame 456

      Mike Nixon <mike@...> wrote:
      avisorropos wrote:
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: just wonderin

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
      <spacejug@a...> wrote:

      please explain how it condenses into a solid. this must be a
      interesting still.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 24, 2003
        My understanding is that unmalted grain spirit is added to pure malt
        whisky (distilled at about 60-75%abv) to make a lighter and cheaper
        version e.g. Johnnie Walker. Irish whiskey is distilled at 90%abv, so
        it is light (in flavor) from the start.
        Blending is also done to ensure a consistent product. What do you
        mean by blended?
        Wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee
        <blueflame456@y...> wrote:
        > hey guys-- was wondering if anyone could give me some insite on how
        to make blended whiskey--my dad loves it and i wanted to surprise
        him on his birthday-- any help would be appreciated
        > your brother in the spirits
        > Blueflame 456
        >
        > Mike Nixon <mike@s...> wrote:
        > avisorropos wrote:
        > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: just wonderin
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
        > <spacejug@a...> wrote:
        >
        > please explain how it condenses into a solid. this must be a
        > interesting still.
        > ===============================
        > Damn! Clete has let the cat out of the bag. Our new "ice still"
        wasn't due
        > for unveiling just yet! :-)
        > Mike N
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 24, 2003
          I usually add 1/3 to 1/2 of volume neutral spirits to the malt
          whiskey. Smooths out the taste. Oak for few weeks at ~80% and dilute
          for drinking. Neutral spirits is neutral, so you can't detect wether
          it's made from sugar or grain.

          Greetz, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
          > My understanding is that unmalted grain spirit is added to pure
          malt
          > whisky (distilled at about 60-75%abv) to make a lighter and cheaper
          > version e.g. Johnnie Walker. Irish whiskey is distilled at 90%abv,
          so
          > it is light (in flavor) from the start.
          > Blending is also done to ensure a consistent product. What do you
          > mean by blended?
          > Wal
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee
          > <blueflame456@y...> wrote:
          > > hey guys-- was wondering if anyone could give me some insite on
          how
          > to make blended whiskey--my dad loves it and i wanted to surprise
          > him on his birthday-- any help would be appreciated
          > > your brother in the spirits
          > > Blueflame 456
          > >
          > > Mike Nixon <mike@s...> wrote:
          > > avisorropos wrote:
          > > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: just wonderin
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
          > > <spacejug@a...> wrote:
          > >
          > > please explain how it condenses into a solid. this must be a
          > > interesting still.
          > > ===============================
          > > Damn! Clete has let the cat out of the bag. Our new "ice still"
          > wasn't due
          > > for unveiling just yet! :-)
          > > Mike N
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          > Service.

        • Brandon Lee
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 24, 2003
            Wal-- thank u for all your input --great research--good info--a real contribution to the group-- on the blended whiskey--i think if i am not mistaken--something like Canadian Club--or Segrams VO--don't know much about either as i am just into making the still's--i occassionally take a drink from what i have made--at present i think the first batch keg has about 4 gals. left--this was done some 3 years ago-and most of that was given to friends--presently i have on hand in the neighborhood of 50 gals-oaking as we speak-- it is just a great pass time to keep me from working--once again appreciate all the research on these great topics
            your brother in the spirits
            Blueflame

            <blueflame456@y...> wrote:
            > hey guys-- was wondering if anyone could give me some insite on how
            to make blended whiskey--my dad  loves it and i wanted to surprise
            him on his birthday-- any help would be appreciated
            > your brother in the spirits
            > Blueflame 456
            >
            > Mike Nixon <mike@s...> wrote:
            > avisorropos wrote:
            > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: just wonderin
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
            > <spacejug@a...> wrote:
            >
            > please explain how it condenses into a solid. this must be a
            > interesting still.
            > ===============================
            > Damn!  Clete has let the cat out of the bag.  Our new "ice still"
            wasn't due
            > for unveiling just yet!  :-)
            > Mike N
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 24, 2003
              Theres a heap of info about the different whiskies etc in the University of Nevada Las Vegas Hotel Administration Course at http://www.unlv.edu/Tourism/362Textbook/ I also have a local copy on my site (find it off the "Introduction" menu under "Commercial Spirits") - in particular see http://homedistiller.org/detail/362ChapterThree-b.htm and http://homedistiller.org/detail/362ChapterThree-h.htm

              Its a matter of blending either for taste (eg adding in a small portion of older, nicer whisky), blending batches to maintain consistancy (eg howcome every bottle of Johnny Red tastes the same, but Makers Mark varies a little), or blending with neutral grain to cheapen and dilute. Have a look at for example what goes into Ballantines whisky.

              Tony
            • waljaco
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 24, 2003
                From 'The ABC's of Wine, Brew & Spirits'-
                What is Scotch? and What is a Scotch Blend
                Scotch is a blend of many whiskies and is generally aged to 10 years.
                ...As many as 40 different aging whiskies about 4 years old are
                tested....Further aging follows the artful blending.

                What is Canadian Whisky?
                Corn, rye, and barley are used....and utilize used barrels which
                impart much softer flavors in aging.

                wrote:
                > Wal-- thank u for all your input --great research--good info--a
                real contribution to the group-- on the blended whiskey--i think if i
                am not mistaken--something like Canadian Club--or Segrams VO--don't
                know much about either as i am just into making the still's--i
                occassionally take a drink from what i have made--at present i think
                the first batch keg has about 4 gals. left--this was done some 3
                years ago-and most of that was given to friends--presently i have on
                hand in the neighborhood of 50 gals-oaking as we speak-- it is just a
                great pass time to keep me from working--once again appreciate all
                the research on these great topics
                > your brother in the spirits
                > Blueflame
                >
                > waljaco <waljaco@h...> wrote:
                > My understanding is that unmalted grain spirit is added to pure
                malt
                > whisky (distilled at about 60-75%abv) to make a lighter and cheaper
                > version e.g. Johnnie Walker. Irish whiskey is distilled at 90%abv,
                so
                > it is light (in flavor) from the start.
                > Blending is also done to ensure a consistent product. What do you
                > mean by blended?
                > Wal
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee
                > <blueflame456@y...> wrote:
                > > hey guys-- was wondering if anyone could give me some insite on
                how
                > to make blended whiskey--my dad loves it and i wanted to surprise
                > him on his birthday-- any help would be appreciated
                > > your brother in the spirits
                > > Blueflame 456
                > >
                > > Mike Nixon <mike@s...> wrote:
                > > avisorropos wrote:
                > > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: just wonderin
                > >
                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cletemeaders"
                > > <spacejug@a...> wrote:
                > >
                > > please explain how it condenses into a solid. this must be a
                > > interesting still.
                > > Damn! Clete has let the cat out of the bag. Our new "ice still"
                > wasn't due
                > > for unveiling just yet! :-)
                > > Mike N
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT