polyproplene,

  • avisorropos
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
      whats the price on polyproplene these days
    • Harley Daschund
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 12, 2003
        Similar to the price of Hogs in China...give or take.....:>)

        >From: "avisorropos" <avisorropos@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] polyproplene,
        >Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:05:34 -0000
        >
        >whats the price on polyproplene these days

      • trailsendag
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 12, 2003
          More data needed.....Did you want in fiber formed into ropes ( what
          size rope ? or pellet form, for extrusion or injectoin molding or in
          powdered form for rotational molding or liquid for slush casting or
          film for shrink wrap or sheet form form as is used in vacumforming
          now how much do you need 25 ft of rope? or as in pellets.sheets 4'x8'
          liquid in gallons or drums.....i could go on but Ill say more than
          clay and less in some cases than the hope dimond....but it is about
          the same as wood,wool, and or steel here ......did you want Virgin
          Polyproplene or can you use recycled it is much cheaper if color is
          not important...... --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 12, 2003
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "trailsendag"
            <trailsendag@y...> wrote:

            im talking pipe for a still. how does it compare with the price of
            pvc for eg.

            More data needed.....Did you want in fiber formed into ropes ( what
            > size rope ? or pellet form, for extrusion or injectoin molding or
            in
            > powdered form for rotational molding or liquid for slush casting
            or
            > film for shrink wrap or sheet form form as is used in
            vacumforming
            > now how much do you need 25 ft of rope? or as in pellets.sheets
            4'x8'
            > liquid in gallons or drums.....i could go on but Ill say more than
            > clay and less in some cases than the hope dimond....but it is
            about
            > the same as wood,wool, and or steel here ......did you want Virgin
            > Polyproplene or can you use recycled it is much cheaper if color
            is
            > not important...... --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley
            > Daschund" <harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
            > > Similar to the price of Hogs in China...give or take.....:>)
            > >

            > > >From: "avisorropos" <avisorropos@n...>
            > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > > >Subject: [new_distillers] polyproplene,
            > > >Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:05:34 -0000
            > > >
            > > >whats the price on polyproplene these days

            > > MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*.
          • Johan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2003
              Polypropylene is very cheap material and works fine for a still.
              I bought a meter for 4,5 euros, couplings for 2 euros and so on.
              I used 40 mm pipes. These work okay but if I built it today I would have
              used 50 mm pipes. These are much thicker.

              The reason is that pp gets softer when its warm. So by using a larger pipe
              with more thickness it probably wont need extra support to stand completely
              upright.

              Johan

              im talking pipe for a still. how does it compare with the price of
              pvc for eg.

              More data needed.....Did you want in fiber formed into ropes ( what
              > size rope ? or pellet form, for extrusion or injectoin molding or
              in
              > powdered form for rotational molding or liquid for slush casting
              or
              > film for shrink wrap or sheet form form as is used in
              vacumforming
              > now how much do you need 25 ft of rope? or as in pellets.sheets
              4'x8'
              > liquid in gallons or drums.....i could go on but Ill say more than
              > clay and less in some cases than the hope dimond....but it is
              about
              > the same as wood,wool, and or steel here ......did you want Virgin
              > Polyproplene or can you use recycled it is much cheaper if color
              is
              > not important...... --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley
              > Daschund" <harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
              > > Similar to the price of Hogs in China...give or take.....:>)
              > >

              > > >From: "avisorropos" <avisorropos@n...>
              > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              > > >Subject: [new_distillers] polyproplene,
              > > >Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:05:34 -0000
              > > >
              > > >whats the price on polyproplene these days

            • FirlaTin
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 13, 2003
                I am about to build my column and if I use pp it would save money.
                How did you attach it to your boiler? I have the mixing bowl/ exhaust
                flange described on moonshine-stil.com. What type of coupling did you
                use?
                Do you have any pics to share?

                Thanks
                Jeff
              • watertrade2003
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2003
                  Hi Jeff,
                  I'm in the middle of building my first still and cost was a
                  consideration for me too. it was the cost of copper that stopped me
                  building one for years ( I think I was quoted A$290 for a 6m length )
                  In the end I found a load of clean scrap copper at a scrap metal place.
                  for about $5 a Kg. - the expensive bit for me was the fittings ( end
                  caps etc )
                  It might be worth having a look??

                  Jim

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "FirlaTin" <firlatin@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > I am about to build my column and if I use pp it would save money.
                  > How did you attach it to your boiler? I have the mixing bowl/ exhaust
                  > flange described on moonshine-stil.com. What type of coupling did you
                  > use?
                  > Do you have any pics to share?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Jeff
                • Johan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 14, 2003
                    I used a coupling that unfortunately isn't suitable, it works perfect so far
                    but it's made of nylon. Nylon isn't a good alternative in a still.
                    I'll change to a rubber packing instead. Another alternative is the coupling
                    http://www.spiritsunlimited.co.nz/ use, it's made of pp.

                    Included pictures of the still, and the new head I use instead of the old
                    one on the pictures.

                    Johan

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 14, 2003
                      hey Jim,
                      There is a company called McMaster-Carr that has anything and I mean
                      ANYTHING you could posibally need to build a copper, poly or SS
                      Still. And their prices are not outrageous. Example 5' section 2"
                      Thin wall Copper pipe $21.67US. As large a company as they are, im
                      sure they ship World wide.. Their web addy is
                      www.mcmaster.com
                      Hope that helps with the high cost of still building!!

                      Cheers!!
                      Will

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 14, 2003
                        Thanks Will,
                        I will keep them in mind for my next still - I pretty much have
                        everything I need for my first one - just need to attach the column and
                        I'm ready to go! - except a few little bits.
                        You know its funny I've just finished my first and I'm already thinking
                        about the improved version

                        Cheers
                        jim

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 14, 2003
                          You're welcome Jim, Im shopping for parts for my 1st still, had a
                          10 gal. stainless milk can, but couldn't resist a $50 profit so I
                          sold it. Have my eye on a 7.5 gal. Pony Keg now. LOL
                          Im wanting to try Alexes Eliptical plate design (with my own
                          refinement of course) in copper, but as you noted, it ain't cheap.
                          Will just keep making Mead till I get it up/running. Can always
                          distill what Mead I have left as a test run!!

                          <james1@w...> wrote:
                          > Thanks Will,
                          > I will keep them in mind for my next still - I pretty much have
                          > everything I need for my first one - just need to attach the
                          column and
                          > I'm ready to go! - except a few little bits.
                          > You know its funny I've just finished my first and I'm already
                          thinking
                          > about the improved version
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > jim
                        • noobtothis
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 14, 2003
                            Well, now I know what user name you are using here....haha...i am
                            the ironheaded one you talk to sometimes in chat...you know the
                            one...