RE: all grain mash

  • Thomas Hart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2001
      Vickers wrote about his all-grain brewing experience and in it he said he
      sparged his mash, which is good brewing practice. However, from what I have
      read the proper procedure in fermenting a mash for whiskey distillation is
      to ferment the entire mash, grain and all and then run off the liquid into
      your still.

      Being a brewer this has always struck me as odd, but I imagine I just have a
      case of "old habits die hard". My question for all of you out there is
      cyber-land is what has your experience been with this? I know that grain
      contains a great deal of wild yeast that will soar a mash. This is great is
      you want to make lambic but I am not sure I want it in my whiskey. I
      visited a scotch whiskey distillery once and was struck by the fact that
      they did not boil their wort and wondered why it did not go off in
      fermentation.

      A second question I have is if you do ferment the entire mash, why bother to
      run off the liquid? I wonder if you couldn't just dunmp the whole mash into
      your still and start cooking.

      Let me know what you think.

      Peach- Tom