Re: [new_distillers] bending copper tubing

  • Harley Daschund
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003
      Fill with sand or salt...salt is easier to remove.....:>)

      >From: "chevdiesel97" <chevdiesel97@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] bending copper tubing
      >Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 06:55:05 -0000
      >
      >Hello Distillers
      >
      > What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing without kinking
      >it.
      > I have tried bending around one inch pipe and kinked and tried
      >spring type bender and can not get it to move once bent and tried
      >hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough circle.
      >

      > thanks for info
      > Thomas Deutschman

    • the1foy
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003
        > What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing without kinking
        > it.
        > I have tried bending around one inch pipe and kinked and tried
        > spring type bender and can not get it to move once bent and tried
        > hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough circle.

        Anyone know how bad kinks are for a condensor? Because there are two
        in my coil, but water still seems to flow through it reasonably well
        (from the sink, my still still isn't finished...sorry, I couldn't
        resist)...anyone running a condensor with a few kinks in it
        successfully?
      • Ken Grady
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003

          Fill with sand or salt...salt is easier to remove.....:>)

          Yes sand works well but must be DRY & fine grained sand if possible.

          Ken.
        • Ken Grady
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003

            Fill with sand or salt...salt is easier to remove.....:>)

            Yes sand works well but must be DRY & fine grained sand if possible. And of course you must heat it with a blow tourch.

            Ken.

          • Anthony Milicia
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003
              >   What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing without kinking
              > it.
              >   I have tried bending around one inch pipe and kinked and tried
              > spring type bender and can not get it to move once bent and tried
              > hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough circle.

              Anyone know how bad kinks are for a condensor?  Because there are two
              in my coil, but water still seems to flow through it reasonably well
              (from the sink, my still still isn't finished...sorry, I couldn't
              resist)...anyone running a condensor with a few kinks in it
              successfully?

              It will probably be OK, but you'll know for sure when you take your still for a test run. If at full water pressure your still getting boiling hot water out of the outflow hose then the kinks are a problem. Mine has a couple of kinks but the still runs fine. Still manage to get 90-95% purity (pun intended)

            • BOKAKOB
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003
                As you bend the pipe -- do it very slowly. Also pull
                on the end you are bending so there is constant
                tension (this keeps the pipe from collapsing). At any
                rate tight bent pipe does loses circular shape and
                becomes sort of ellipsoid in cross section, but it is
                OK -- keep trying... my personal record is "double
                helix" (meaning concentric two coils) fitting in 2"
                copper pipe.

                --- chevdiesel97 <chevdiesel97@...> wrote:
                > Hello Distillers
                >
                > What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing
                > without kinking
                > it.
                > I have tried bending around one inch pipe and
                > kinked and tried
                > spring type bender and can not get it to move once
                > bent and tried
                > hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough
                > circle.
                >

                > thanks for info
                > Thomas Deutschman

                =====

                I can be wrong I must say
                Cheers, Alex...

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • Shane Kirkman
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003
                  As long as you still get enough flow/rate thru your condenser kinks wont matter.

                  Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                  Shane.

                  >   What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing without kinking
                  > it.
                  >   I have tried bending around one inch pipe and kinked and tried
                  > spring type bender and can not get it to move once bent and tried
                  > hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough circle.

                  Anyone know how bad kinks are for a condensor?  Because there are two
                  in my coil, but water still seems to flow through it reasonably well
                  (from the sink, my still still isn't finished...sorry, I couldn't
                  resist)...anyone running a condensor with a few kinks in it
                  successfully?

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM

                • Shane Kirkman
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003
                    To add to Alex's tips if you get a bend your not happy with dont keep working on it, as copper goes hard very quick. Stop and heat the pipe to red hot and let it cool before starting again.

                    Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                    Shane.

                    As you bend the pipe -- do it very slowly. Also pull
                    on the end you are bending so there is constant
                    tension (this keeps the pipe from collapsing). At any
                    rate tight bent pipe does loses circular shape and
                    becomes sort of ellipsoid in cross section, but it is
                    OK -- keep trying... my personal record is "double
                    helix" (meaning concentric two coils) fitting in 2"
                    copper pipe.

                    --- chevdiesel97 <chevdiesel97@...> wrote:
                    > Hello Distillers
                    >
                    >   What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing
                    > without kinking
                    > it.
                    >   I have tried bending around one inch pipe and
                    > kinked and tried
                    > spring type bender and can not get it to move once
                    > bent and tried
                    > hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough
                    > circle.
                    >

                    >  thanks for info
                    >  Thomas Deutschman

                    =====

                    I can be wrong I must say
                    Cheers, Alex...

                    http://calendar.yahoo.com

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM

                  • nanosleep
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 8, 2003
                      Anneal the tubing with a propane torch. This works
                      wonders, and you'll be surprised at how soft the
                      tubing will get. Simply get the tubing red hot,
                      and then let it cool. After you make a few bends
                      the tubing may start to get work hardened. Just
                      reheat it to red hot and let it cool again. You
                      can do this many times without any problems. With
                      a little patience you can get 1 inch coils from
                      1/4 inch tubing.

                      -A

                      --- chevdiesel97 <chevdiesel97@y...> wrote:
                      > Hello Distillers
                      >
                      > What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing
                      > without kinking
                      > it.
                      > I have tried bending around one inch pipe and
                      > kinked and tried
                      > spring type bender and can not get it to move once
                      > bent and tried
                      > hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough
                      > circle.
                      >

                      > thanks for info
                      > Thomas Deutschman
                    • Brandon Lee
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 9, 2003
                        rolling coils of copper is fairly easy once it has been heated till the metal changes color-- at that point drop the whole coil into a bucket/vat of cold water-- this softens the tube where it will almost bend like wire--i then take a piece of 3/4 inch tube--chuck it in the lathe--turn the head stock freehand till i get the desired length--un chuck the head end of the pipe-- slide your larger tube over the one just turned and do the same operation back towards the head-- you wild up with two perfect coils- the inner one being 1" i.d.-- the other being 1..5 i.d. with two long tails to connect your water attachments to--no kinks--
                        your brother in the spirits
                        Blueflame456

                        the1foy <the1foy@...> wrote:

                        >   What is the best way to bend quarter inch tubing without kinking
                        > it.
                        >   I have tried bending around one inch pipe and kinked and tried
                        > spring type bender and can not get it to move once bent and tried
                        > hand held bender but can not get it in tight engough circle.

                        Anyone know how bad kinks are for a condensor?  Because there are two
                        in my coil, but water still seems to flow through it reasonably well
                        (from the sink, my still still isn't finished...sorry, I couldn't
                        resist)...anyone running a condensor with a few kinks in it
                        successfully?

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                      • Harley Daschund
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 9, 2003
                          Good method but,what % of group members would you suppose have a
                          Lathe?....:>) I would guess <5%......:>)

                          >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>

                          >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                          >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

                          --i then take a piece of 3/4 inch tube--chuck it in the lathe--
                          >your brother in the spirits
                          >Blueflame456

                        • Brandon Lee
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 9, 2003
                            this is probably true--but i do imagine the same could be accomplished with an electric variable speed drill -a 1"dowel and a piece of plywood with a center placed at the appropriate point
                            your brother in the spirits
                            Blueflame456

                            Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:
                            Good method but,what % of group members would you suppose have a
                            Lathe?....:>)  I would guess <5%......:>)

                            >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>

                            >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                            >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

                            --i then take a piece of 3/4 inch tube--chuck it in the lathe--
                            >your brother in the spirits
                            >Blueflame456

                            Do you Yahoo!?

                          • Greg Denehy
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 9, 2003

                              That sounds good.

                              Is there an easy way of getting a 1” dowel into my ¼” chuck, without a lathe?

                              Greg

                              this is probably true--but i do imagine the same could be accomplished with an electric variable speed drill -a 1"dowel and a piece of plywood with a center placed at the appropriate point

                              your brother in the spirits

                              Blueflame456

                              Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:

                              Good method but,what % of group members would you suppose have a
                              Lathe?....:>)  I would guess <5%......:>)

                              >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>

                              >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                              >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

                              --i then take a piece of 3/4 inch tube--chuck it in the lathe--
                              >your brother in the spirits
                              >Blueflame456

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                            • CornFed (Randy)
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 9, 2003
                                Yes you can if you take a lag bolt with the correct size to fit your
                                drill chuck and mark true center of the dowl stick and screw the
                                smaller shaft into the end of it. Just make sure you predrill it
                                first and make sure you get it absolutley straight and true other
                                wise it will wobble bad when you put it under power.

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Denehy" <greg@t...>

                                <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/*http:/calendar.yahoo.com>
                                > calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                                050416
                                > 94:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?
                                mqso=601647
                                > 84&partid=3170658>
                                >

                                > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                                M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                > l/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=379798152>

                              • Harley Daschund
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                  I'd say you are probably correct....good idea...:>)

                                  >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>
                                  >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                                  >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
                                  >
                                  >this is probably true--but i do imagine the same could be accomplished with
                                  >an electric variable speed drill -a 1"dowel and a piece of plywood with a
                                  >center placed at the appropriate point
                                  >your brother in the spirits
                                  >Blueflame456
                                  >
                                  >Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:
                                  >Good method but,what % of group members would you suppose have a
                                  >Lathe?....:>) I would guess <5%......:>)
                                  >

                                  > >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>
                                  >
                                  > >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                                  > >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
                                  > >
                                  >--i then take a piece of 3/4 inch tube--chuck it in the lathe--
                                  > >your brother in the spirits
                                  > >Blueflame456

                                  >Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).

                                • Harley Daschund
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                    Put it on a Lathe and turn it down....(sorry,I couldnt resist)...:>)

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                      Greg--place a wood screw with a .25"head on it --- screw the head into the dowel to the point where the chuck will catch it well-- make sure that it is exactly center-- to do this merely place something close to half the thickness on a flat area--mark the end of the dowel-rotate 90degrees do the same at least 4 times--the resulting small area is the exact center

                                      Greg Denehy <greg@...> wrote:

                                      That sounds good.

                                      Is there an easy way of getting a 1� dowel into my �� chuck, without a lathe?

                                      Greg

                                      this is probably true--but i do imagine the same could be accomplished with an electric variable speed drill -a 1"dowel and a piece of plywood with a center placed at the appropriate point

                                      your brother in the spirits

                                      Blueflame456

                                      Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:

                                      Good method but,what % of group members would you suppose have a
                                      Lathe?....:>)  I would guess <5%......:>)

                                      >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>

                                      >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                                      >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

                                      --i then take a piece of 3/4 inch tube--chuck it in the lathe--
                                      >your brother in the spirits
                                      >Blueflame456

                                      Do you Yahoo!?

                                      Do you Yahoo!?
                                    • Brandon Lee
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                        make sure that when u are winding the tube that it is unstrung and held tight while wraping it around the dowel--u will have to have a staple on the lead end of the dowel to insert the first 2 or so inches so it will have something to catch on as u first start to wrap  the tube-- keep it tight and use an even spacing between coils--i used .25" between turns and used about  28 l.f. of tube for my 2.5 od column-- the total length was approx 14" when complete-- or just enough to accommodate the top of your tube

                                        Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:
                                        I'd say you are probably correct....good idea...:>)

                                        >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>
                                        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                                        >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
                                        >
                                        >this is probably true--but i do imagine the same could be accomplished with
                                        >an electric variable speed drill -a 1"dowel and a piece of plywood with a
                                        >center placed at the appropriate point
                                        >your brother in the spirits
                                        >Blueflame456
                                        >
                                        >Harley Daschund <harley_daschund@...> wrote:
                                        >Good method but,what % of group members would you suppose have a
                                        >Lathe?....:>)  I would guess <5%......:>)
                                        >

                                        > >From: Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>
                                        >
                                        > >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing
                                        > >Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
                                        > >
                                        >--i then take a piece of 3/4 inch tube--chuck it in the lathe--
                                        > >your brother in the spirits
                                        > >Blueflame456

                                        >Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).

                                        Do you Yahoo!?
                                      • w G
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                          Just out of curiosity, instead of filling the tube
                                          with salt or sand, was wondering if anyone had
                                          considered sealing the ends up and heating it, the
                                          increase in internal air pressure should keep it
                                          balooned out and round, just my 2c worth...

                                          http://search.yahoo.com
                                        • Peter
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                            That w'ont work.
                                            The air inside is pressurable, so the coil will become flattend.

                                            If you would try to bend glass, than you could seal one end of the
                                            tube and after heating you could blow some are air into the glass
                                            while bending the glass.

                                            greetings
                                            moutwijn

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, w G <wbg_us@y...> wrote:
                                            > Just out of curiosity, instead of filling the tube
                                            > with salt or sand, was wondering if anyone had
                                            > considered sealing the ends up and heating it, the
                                            > increase in internal air pressure should keep it
                                            > balooned out and round, just my 2c worth...

                                            > http://search.yahoo.com
                                          • Mike Nixon
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                              w G wrote:

                                              Just out of curiosity,  instead of filling the tube with salt or sand,  was wondering if anyone had considered sealing the ends up and heating it,  the increase in internal air pressure should keep it balooned out and round,  just my 2c worth...
                                              =======================
                                              Nice idea!  Unfortunately, the pressure would not be enough to prevent buckling of the tube, even though that pressure would increase as the tube collapses, and in any event would be applied evenly over the entire inside surface.  Even filling the tube with water, which is non-compressible, wouldn't work.  You want the most resistance on those surfaces that are tending to squeeze together, but do not want pressure on the sides that are tending to bulge out.  To achieve those criteria, you need something solid inside, and fine sand or salt behaves like a solid when confined, even though it pours like water when not.  Some have tried freezing water so the tube is packed with ice, but this again doesn't work as ice liquifies under pressure.

                                              There are very low melting point bismuth alloys available (eg. Cerrobend) ... they melt below the boiling point of water ... and these offer the best way possible as they solidify inside the tube to a totally incompressible yet flexible filler which melts easily and pours out after use.  Unfortunately, they are expensive and can also pose a health risk.  Not recommended for amateur use!  Very fine dry sand or salt are still the best methods in the home workshop if annealing and bending carefully without a filler still results in buckling.

                                              Mike N

                                            • w G
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                                OK, so How the hell U get salt in 27' of 1/4" tubing
                                                LOL sounds like a bit of work to me..

                                                --- Mike Nixon <mike@...> wrote:
                                                > w G wrote:
                                                > Subject: RE: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper
                                                > tubing
                                                >
                                                > Just out of curiosity, instead of filling the tube
                                                > with salt or sand, was wondering if anyone had
                                                > considered sealing the ends up and heating it, the
                                                > increase in internal air pressure should keep it
                                                > balooned out and round, just my 2c worth...
                                                > =======================
                                                > Nice idea! Unfortunately, the pressure would not be
                                                > enough to prevent buckling of the tube, even though
                                                > that pressure would increase as the tube collapses,
                                                > and in any event would be applied evenly over the
                                                > entire inside surface. Even filling the tube with
                                                > water, which is non-compressible, wouldn't work.
                                                > You want the most resistance on those surfaces that
                                                > are tending to squeeze together, but do not want
                                                > pressure on the sides that are tending to bulge out.
                                                > To achieve those criteria, you need something solid
                                                > inside, and fine sand or salt behaves like a solid
                                                > when confined, even though it pours like water when
                                                > not. Some have tried freezing water so the tube is
                                                > packed with ice, but this again doesn't work as ice
                                                > liquifies under pressure.
                                                >
                                                > There are very low melting point bismuth alloys
                                                > available (eg. Cerrobend) ... they melt below the
                                                > boiling point of water ... and these offer the best
                                                > way possible as they solidify inside the tube to a
                                                > totally incompressible yet flexible filler which
                                                > melts easily and pours out after use.
                                                > Unfortunately, they are expensive and can also pose
                                                > a health risk. Not recommended for amateur use!
                                                > Very fine dry sand or salt are still the best
                                                > methods in the home workshop if annealing and
                                                > bending carefully without a filler still results in
                                                > buckling.
                                                >
                                                > Mike N

                                                http://search.yahoo.com
                                              • BOKAKOB

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 10, 2003
                                                    w G wrote:

                                                    OK,  so How the hell U get salt in 27' of 1/4" tubing
                                                    LOL  sounds like a bit of work to me..
                                                    1/4" tubing, if softened first by annealing ... heat until copper starts to change color and then leave to cool (or quench quickly in water ... it makes no difference with copper) should require no filler to bend without kinking.  Just wind slowly around a dowel or other former, pulling hard on the free tubing as you do so.  If you must use salt, use very fine table salt.  If the grains are still too big, you can easily grind it finer with a pestle and mortar ... or even a rolling pin on a hard flat surface.  It powders very easily.  Taping a cone of paper around one end of the tubing makes a nice funnel that doesn't take up space inside the tubing.  Tap the tube often, as advised by 'trailsendag'.  Make sure the salt is very dry before you start pouring by leaving it on a tray in a warm oven for half an hour.  Even iodised salt soaks up some water from the air and will not pour as easily as bone dry salt.

                                                    Mike N

                                                  • Harley Daschund
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 11, 2003
                                                      You dont have to fill the entire length...just the portion you happen to be
                                                      bending at any given time.. a foot or two is enough,as long as the salt
                                                      flows freely....:>)