What temp is the run off

  • trailsendag
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hello and Ga'day,What temp is the run off when you start collecting
      the Mid range, also should they be warm or cold? run threw the coils
      (running water or ice in bucket around the coils) will it keep the
      bad nasteys from evaperation....wished I had found this site a few
      years back but there is so much info and so little time...I have made
      hard cider( freeze out side for a few days, and pour off) with all
      the good info I got a headache and havent made a drop.reflux,pot
      still, wash, turbo yeast, I got a whole new vocb...to learn I have
      been a homebrewer for 20 years and now i get to start all over...big
      smile here. thank you in advance.
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2003
        > Hello and Ga'day,What temp is the run off when you start collecting
        > the Mid range, also should they be warm or cold?

        The vapour temperature just prior to the condenser - it depends on what sort of still you are running, and what sort of product you're trying to make. If using a reflux column, and aiming for a clean vodka, then it would be around 78.2C to 78.4C . If aiming for a whisky/rum, you may let it get up towards 84C or so. If its a pot still, then you're probably best to target the cutoff by taste. The temperature may be as high as 92C, depending on what you're after. Theres more detailed instructions at http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm

        > run threw the coils
        > (running water or ice in bucket around the coils) will it keep the
        > bad nasteys from evaperation

        If you mean the "tails" - the higher order alcohols and other impurities, the final condenser temperature wont affect what happens to them - thats all been decided in the still. If you are making the cut too late, or not running enough reflux through the column, then they will continue to come over, no matter what the condenser is set up like.

        Tony