Re: [new_distillers] Re: Need new definition advice

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2003
      BillyWeeble wrote:
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Need new definition advice

      In a message dated 5/30/03 1:34:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      mike@... writes:

      <<  What I was after were antonyms for doubled, tripled, quadrupled,
      quintupled, etc. >>

          ha HA!  I got one on you this time!  The word you need is "synonym" in
      place of "antonym".  It's been years waiting for this day.  Think I'll go out
      now and dance naked in the rain... Intoxicated? Not by alcohol but by the power
      of sixth grade english!  Finally, the public school edumication paid off....
      <oo>
      I just love it when this happens!  My cup runneth over :-))
      An Antonym is a word that means the opposite of another.  A Synonym is a word or words having the same meaning.

      A synonym for "doubled" might be "twice as much", and the synonym for its antonym "halved" would be "half as much".
      Ditto for ""quadrupled" and "quartered"

      My piteous complaint was that I could not think of single word antonyms for any but "doubled" or "quadrupled" (halved and quartered).
      Mike M's cunning "trisected" for "tripled" did not satisfy me ... "The output from my still has tripled" makes sense, but "The output from my still has trisected" sounds wierd!

      May I join you in the rain Billy?  My feverish brow needs cooling :-)
      Again I say ... this has got way off topic!  (antonym of 'off' is 'on') (shaddup Mike!)

      Mike N