Re: [new_distillers] Re: Need new definition advice

  • BillyWeeble@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2003
      In a message dated 5/30/03 1:34:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      mike@... writes:

      << What I was after were antonyms for doubled, tripled, quadrupled,
      quintupled, etc. >>

      ha HA! I got one on you this time! The word you need is "synonym" in
      place of "antonym". It's been years waiting for this day. Think I'll go out
      now and dance naked in the rain... Intoxicated? Not by alcohol but by the power
      of sixth grade english! Finally, the public school edumication paid off....
      <oo>

      And hats off to Mr. McCaw for pointing out the potential disaster when
      neutralizing (raising) the ph of a wash before distilling it. As we all know
      now, this nightmare happened to me previously. Twice.

      And thanks to you both for spending so much of your time, energy and
      wisdom to further the knowledge of we who are willing and really trying to be
      worthy.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2003
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Need new definition advice

        mike@... writes:

        <<  What I was after were antonyms for doubled, tripled, quadrupled,
        quintupled, etc. >>

            ha HA!  I got one on you this time!  The word you need is "synonym" in
        place of "antonym".  It's been years waiting for this day.  Think I'll go out
        now and dance naked in the rain... Intoxicated? Not by alcohol but by the power
        of sixth grade english!  Finally, the public school edumication paid off....
        <oo>
        I just love it when this happens!  My cup runneth over :-))
        An Antonym is a word that means the opposite of another.  A Synonym is a word or words having the same meaning.

        A synonym for "doubled" might be "twice as much", and the synonym for its antonym "halved" would be "half as much".
        Ditto for ""quadrupled" and "quartered"

        My piteous complaint was that I could not think of single word antonyms for any but "doubled" or "quadrupled" (halved and quartered).
        Mike M's cunning "trisected" for "tripled" did not satisfy me ... "The output from my still has tripled" makes sense, but "The output from my still has trisected" sounds wierd!

        May I join you in the rain Billy?  My feverish brow needs cooling :-)
        Again I say ... this has got way off topic!  (antonym of 'off' is 'on') (shaddup Mike!)

        Mike N