Re: [new_distillers] Electric Heating Question

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 11 , May 24, 2003
      Shane Kirkman wrote:
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Electric Heating Question

      Hi Mike,
       Could you send me the details for the circuit, I have a 1500w & 1700w in my boiler.
      ============================
      Here you go.
      For other elements, W1 and W2, the relationship is:
      1.  Wmin  = W1.W2 / (W1 + W2)
      2.  Wa      = W1
      3.  Wb      = W2
      4.  Wmax = (W1 + W2)

      Be careful to rate the switches correctly.
      I = TWICE Wmax / V  (twice the actual maximum current is good engineering practice)
      Taking the maximum wattage (in this case 3200W) this means Imax = 13.4 amp at 240V or 26.8 amp at 120V
      so get switches that can handle 30 amp (240V) or 60 amp (120V)

      Implicit in this diagram is that the main power switch at the bottom incorporates a suitable quick-blow FUSE and, preferably, a neon to show when it is closed.  Also implicit is that the element casings and the boiler are connected to a good EARTH.

      TRIPLE CHECK that all connections are correct before connecting to mains power!  Test first with a dry-cell battery and small lamp bulbs in place of the elements.

      Do not drink when driving!

      DISCLAIMER!!!!!  I accept no responsibility whatsoever for anyone screwing up and electrocuting themselves, their stills blowing up and burning their house down, floods, pestilence, war, lightning strikes, or any other act that the capricious gods of distillation may visit upon any hapless distiller using this circuit.

      Quid rides?  De te fabula narratur!  Mus uni non fidit antro.
      Mike N