Re: [new_distillers] Malt Extract?

  • Harley Daschund
    Message 1 of 16 , May 17, 2003
      According to what I have read,malt extract will not work for making a
      whiskey mash....never tried it but thats what I have read...good luck..:>)

      >From: Matthew DeLacey <leanmattie@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] Malt Extract?
      >Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 18:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >Im am really confused between malt as a seed, malt as
      >some syrup, and then, what is malt extract? Does it
      >have the enzyme needed to convert starches to sugars?
      >When someone says, add 2 pounds or malt or so, are
      >they talking about malt extract?

      >http://search.yahoo.com

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 16 , May 17, 2003
        Malt extract can be used - no reason why not as it works for beer and
        whisky is basically distilled unhopped beer. I would also add 10%
        crushed malted grain to restore enzymes etc lost through boiling to
        help with more attenuation. A good ale yeast(s) is also recommended.
        Wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"
        <harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
        > According to what I have read,malt extract will not work for making
        > whiskey mash....never tried it but thats what I have read...good
        luck..:>)

        > >From: Matthew DeLacey <leanmattie@y...>
        > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [new_distillers] Malt Extract?
        > >Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 18:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
        > >
        > >Im am really confused between malt as a seed, malt as
        > >some syrup, and then, what is malt extract? Does it
        > >have the enzyme needed to convert starches to sugars?
        > >When someone says, add 2 pounds or malt or so, are
        > >they talking about malt extract?

        > >The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
        > >http://search.yahoo.com

      • Harley Daschund
        Message 3 of 16 , May 18, 2003
          Per Ian Smiley in Making Pure Corn Whiskey..(page 48)...."malt extract
          (available as syrup or powder) has no diastatic enzymes and cannot be used
          for mashing."....I havnt tried malt extract,in the relatively few times I
          'attempted' to make whiskey (too messy and I dont like whiskey anyway :>)
          ,so maybe it will work...if you add the missing enzymes....kind of like the
          car that uses no fuel,as long as you are going downhill....:>)

          >From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
          >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Malt Extract?
          >Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 05:39:42 -0000
          >
          >Malt extract can be used - no reason why not as it works for beer and
          >whisky is basically distilled unhopped beer. I would also add 10%
          >crushed malted grain to restore enzymes etc lost through boiling to
          >help with more attenuation. A good ale yeast(s) is also recommended.
          >Wal
          >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"
          ><harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
          > > According to what I have read,malt extract will not work for making
          > > whiskey mash....never tried it but thats what I have read...good
          >luck..:>)
          > >

          > > >From: Matthew DeLacey <leanmattie@y...>
          > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > >Subject: [new_distillers] Malt Extract?
          > > >Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 18:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
          > > >
          > > >Im am really confused between malt as a seed, malt as
          > > >some syrup, and then, what is malt extract? Does it
          > > >have the enzyme needed to convert starches to sugars?
          > > >When someone says, add 2 pounds or malt or so, are
          > > >they talking about malt extract?

          > > >The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
          > > >http://search.yahoo.com

          > > Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.

        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 16 , May 19, 2003
            Malt extract is 80% sugars and does not need mashing. Just add warm
            water and yeast! As easy as a sugar or honey mash. Over 2/3 of whisky
            flavor is derived from oak etc. - raw whisky is basically poitin. You
            could even aqdd sugar for more alcohol(?). If you add extra flaked
            grain as an adjunct, you need enzymes - as a high diastatic malt
            extract (one that has enzymes) or add it in the form of some crushed
            grain malt. You should get your malt extract from a reputable place
            as there are products with substitutes added.

            Message 5 of 16 , May 19, 2003
              Any other opinions?...:>)....

              Message 6 of 16 , May 19, 2003
                For more 'opinions' see msgs by 'ups474'.

                Message 7 of 16 , May 19, 2003
                  Type - ups474@a - in Search Archive or go to msg 5296 &
                  http://homedistiller.org
                  Wal
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
                  > For more 'opinions' see msgs by 'ups474'.
                  > Wal
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"
                  > <harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
                  > > Any other opinions?...:>)....
                  > >

                  > > >From: "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
                  > > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  > > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Malt Extract?
                  > > >Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:11:11 -0000
                  > > >
                  > > >Malt extract is 80% sugars and does not need mashing. Just add
                  warm
                  > > >water and yeast! As easy as a sugar or honey mash. Over 2/3 of
                  > whisky
                  > > >flavor is derived from oak etc. - raw whisky is basically
                  poitin.
                  > You
                  > > >could even aqdd sugar for more alcohol(?). If you add extra
                  flaked
                  > > >grain as an adjunct, you need enzymes - as a high diastatic malt
                  > > >extract (one that has enzymes) or add it in the form of some
                  > crushed
                  > > >grain malt. You should get your malt extract from a reputable
                  place
                  > > >as there are products with substitutes added.
                  > > >Wal
                  > > >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"
                  > > >extract
                  > cannot
                  > > >be used
                  > few
                  > > >times I
                  > > >anyway :>)
                  > of
                  > > >like the

                  > beer
                  > > >and
                  > 10%
                  > boiling to
                  > > >recommended.
                  > > >making
                  > read...good

                  > > Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.
                • nanosleep
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 19, 2003
                    I've used malt extract for whiskey making. The malt
                    extract is from grain but it's already been converted
                    to sugars. So enzymes won't help any here. Enzymes
                    only help when you have a starchy substance (raw grain,
                    potatoes, etc). If you've never done any all grain
                    brewing, I'd recommend trying a brew with malt
                    extract. It's much easier than getting the mashing
                    done properly. When you go to the brew store, get
                    a malt extract that is unhopped. Also I think the
                    pale varieties tend to work better for whiskey. The
                    dark varieties will have more unfermentable sugars.
                    The unfermentable sugars are good for tasty beer, but
                    pointless for whiskey since the sugars will be
                    poured out with the spent wash. You want the max
                    of fermentable sugars to get the best yield.
                    You use the malt extract just like you would a
                    sugar syrup. Heat some water and mix in the malt
                    extract. Get it fully dissolved. Then add cold water
                    to dilute it down to the desired starting specific
                    gravity.
                    Since the malt extracts are designed for use in beers
                    they are made to be VERY foamy. This gives you a
                    nice head on your beer, but it gives you a hell of
                    a time cleaning out your still when it boils over.
                    Only fill the boiler half full or less when
                    distilling.

                    I'm in the process of getting a reliable recipe for
                    making straight corn whiskey. Of four batches I've
                    had two that were quite successful. I'm not using
                    any malt. My enzymes are the prepared powdered form.
                    I haven't gone to the trouble of trying to malt my own
                    grains. I'll get the mashing step perfected and then
                    move on to malting. I'd like to be able to make
                    whiskey without relying on any pre-processed ingredients.
                    I've done lots of sugar batches in the past. The
                    straight corn is LOTS more work. It takes a few hours
                    of standing over the stove. The yield compared to
                    sugar is terrible. 3 lbs of corn yielded about half
                    a liter of 50% abv. I believe that's a respectable
                    yield from corn, but it sure is a lot of work to get
                    there.

                    -A

                  • Harley Daschund
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 20, 2003
                      If 'ups474' wants me to know his/her/its/there opinion,he/she/it/they will
                      post it.....:>)

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 20, 2003
                        Experience of others is a valuable balance to one's limited opinion -
                        let your mouse go for a walk first - after all that is why the past
                        messages are there for, together with search facility -
                        http://archive.nnytech.net Possibly there are others out there
                        interested in whisky from malt extract as this is a public forum.

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 20, 2003
                          Wal...I didnt ask the original question....I merely posted the reply that
                          ,in Ian Smiley's book,he states that Malt Extract cant be used....I really
                          dont care as I dont make 'Pure Corn Whiskey'....I f you use malt Extract
                          sucsessfully,hooray for you,but dont instruct me to research the previous
                          posts when I merely tried to answer someones question.....there will always
                          be differences of opinion but if Ian Smiley disagrees with you,me or anyone
                          else on this list,I would tend to listen to him......bottom line is,as i
                          previously stated,experimentation answers your questions better than anyone
                          can....maybe the 'key-word' is pure....:>)

                        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 20, 2003
                            > If 'ups474' wants me to know his/her/its/there
                            > opinion,he/she/it/they will
                            > post it.....:>)

                            Harley - Ups474 aka "Jack" left the newsgroup about 6 months ago. Before that however, he was a bloody useful contributer, with a wealth of knowledge about brewing (he runs a brew pub, and is an intelligent & curious brewer). Please check the archives for the advice he has left us - I sure learnt a lot from him - sure you will too.

                            Tony
                          • CornFed (Randy)
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 20, 2003
                              could it be that people are confusing the end use purpose of Malt?
                              and are making the assumption that everything labeled "MALT" is
                              created equal?

                              From what I understand: Liquid Malt Extract is a ready mixed kit that
                              you add water and yeast to and toss in some supplied yeast for a
                              batch of home brew beer. I have 3 cans of John Bull beer mix that I
                              will get around to trying one of these days. The label says they
                              will make 10 six packs of beer each.

                              Malted grains are used provide the amylase enzymes necessary to
                              convert the starches to fermentable sugars.

                              Liquid malt extract has little to no disatatic enzymes. It is a
                              syrup used to make beer out of. Malted barley grain is a ready
                              source of high diastatic amylase enzymes. There are 2 basic types of
                              Malted barley. 2 ROW AND 6 ROW. Both individual kernals supply the
                              same amount of enzymes however the 6 row is a smaller kernal than the
                              2 row so you get more enzyme per measured weight unit in your
                              mash.

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                              <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                              > > If 'ups474' wants me to know his/her/its/there
                              > > opinion,he/she/it/they will
                              > > post it.....:>)
                              >
                              > Harley - Ups474 aka "Jack" left the newsgroup about 6 months ago.
                              Before that however, he was a bloody useful contributer, with a
                              wealth of knowledge about brewing (he runs a brew pub, and is an
                              intelligent & curious brewer). Please check the archives for the
                              advice he has left us - I sure learnt a lot from him - sure you will
                              too.

                              > Tony
                            • waljaco
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 20, 2003
                                Ian Smiley says that normal malt extract cannot be used for malting
                                flaked maize. He recommends flaked maize(something moonshiners did
                                not use), crushed malted barley grain and additional gluco-amylase
                                for complete conversion. He also recommends baker's yeast which is a
                                moonshine practice, as commercial whisky distillers usually use
                                several strains of ale yeast. His recommendations are an improvement
                                on one (there ar other grains used apart from maize) traditional U.S.
                                moonshine whiskey practice but traditional malt Scottish and Irish
                                whisky/whiskey has a predominant amount of malted barley and for
                                homedistillers malt extract is more convenient than mashing (the work
                                has been done for you).
                                Research saves time - why reinvent the wheel?
                                I am only clarifying the factual information out there already, not
                                giving a subjective opinion - try it some time.

                                <harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
                                > Wal...I didnt ask the original question....I merely posted the
                                reply that
                                > ,in Ian Smiley's book,he states that Malt Extract cant be used....I
                                really
                                > dont care as I dont make 'Pure Corn Whiskey'....I f you use malt
                                Extract
                                > sucsessfully,hooray for you,but dont instruct me to research the
                                previous
                                > posts when I merely tried to answer someones question.....there
                                will always
                                > be differences of opinion but if Ian Smiley disagrees with you,me
                                or anyone
                                > else on this list,I would tend to listen to him......bottom line
                                is,as i
                                > previously stated,experimentation answers your questions better
                                than anyone
                                > can....maybe the 'key-word' is pure....:>)
                                >

                                > >From: "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
                                > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Malt Extract?
                                > >Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:13:49 -0000
                                > >
                                > >Experience of others is a valuable balance to one's limited
                                opinion -
                                > >let your mouse go for a walk first - after all that is why the past
                                > >messages are there for, together with search facility -
                                > >http://archive.nnytech.net Possibly there are others out there
                                > >interested in whisky from malt extract as this is a public forum.
                                > >Wal
                                > >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harley Daschund"
                                > ><harley_daschund@h...> wrote:
                                > > > If 'ups474' wants me to know his/her/its/there
                                > >opinion,he/she/it/they will
                                > > > post it.....:>)

                                > >warm
                                > >poitin.
                                > >flaked
                                > >malt
                                > >place
                                > >48)...."malt
                                > >relatively
                                > >whiskey
                                > >enzymes....kind
                                > >downhill....:>)

                                > >for
                                > >add
                                Daschund"
                                > >work for

                                > > > MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*
                                > > > http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

                              • Harley Daschund
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 21, 2003
                                  Tony...I understand what you are saying...the problem is,I wasnt the one
                                  asking the question,therefore,I dont need to do any research...:>)