first still anxiety #2

  • James Holland
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2003
      first still anxiety #2
      Hi Everyone,
      I hope you can help me with a few issues i have.

      Firstly This is what i want from my still   * i want to make the purest spirt       possible * I would like to have control of the still (being able to control reflux etc. + basically not run into too many unnecessary problems - eg - "if I had only made it abit longer" etc.

      So far i have most of the parts for the valved reflux still described @
      http://www.moonshine-still.com/

      the three problems i have are...
      1) I cut the pipes before thinking about how it all was going to work.  Do these dimensions work well? the author ( sorry his name escapes me) describes the still to produce 94% ethanol. has anyone achieved this with this still??

      2)the tee section i bought was pre soldered  so I'm guessing they would have used a lead solder??. I have tried melting it away to re solder but it won't budge. any ideas. there would only be a tiny amount of contact with the vapour but...  I don't want to find out in 20 years time that I should have chucked it ...

      3) I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't find any needle valves...?? are they called something different in Australia??