Re: [new_distillers] New equipment

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2003
      Tony Ackland wrote
      Subject: RE: [new_distillers] New equipment

      >Mike McCaw and I have been quietly beavering away in the Shed for the past couple of years, and designed some new equipment.
      If you would like to see what it is all about, you might care to browse through our newly revised website
      http://www.amphora-society.com

      Wow !  That will put the cat amongst the pigeons !  Only 12" tall and 96%.  Very nice !!

      Knowing how you like to run these stills with a reasonable operating buffer at the top of the column, that would imply a VERY small HETP - down from my normal estimates of say 10-12cm for scrubbers, to more like 2-3 cm ? when using your rolled up mesh ?

      Can all that gain be attributed to soley by the order imposed on the packing ?  Eg is the "loss" when using scrubbers due maybe to areas that are under / over compacted, uneven liquid flows, dirty etc ?

      Have you had the opportunity to measure the pressure drop over the column ?
      It's a combination of several things Tony, not just the mesh (which does help a lot though).
      It's internal geometry, packing, vapour/reflux flow, etc etc.
      Concerning HETP, yes, it must be very small indeed ... but that was the whole aim of the exercise :-)
      Overall pressure drop may be there, but so small that we could not detect it.  What we got with manometer tests was evidence of small pressure fluctuations in the boiler, which is to be expected, but these were damped out very quickly and the overall pressure in the column itself settles to atmosperic almost immediately.
      Frankly, 12" is long ... my first tests were done with a 4" column, but I got only 91% out of that.

      Mike N